• Expansion to double size of North Station by November(2006)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

Boston Globe, Wed. 4/26/06:

Expansion to double size of North Station by November
The MBTA plans to announce today a major expansion of cramped North Station, a project expected to more than double the concourse's size and bring a South Station-like atmosphere to the northside rail hub.

by trainhq

About time! Was anybody in there after one of the Patriots' Super Bowl parades? Like a can of sardines!This will definitely improve commuting on the North Side.

by helium

"The expansion still does not include a direct connection to the tunnel leading to the Orange and Green subway and trolley lines."

Wasn't this supposed to happen when the Green line went underground?

by villager

This is terrific. The last trip I took on the Downeaster was quite confusing in terms of finding the right place/time to board because I hadn't been to North Station for non-subway trains in many years.

I imagine many other first-timers experience similar confusion.

by Ron Newman

it has to wait for redevelopment of the Old Garden site. There's now a subway entrance near the east entrance of the New Garden, but you still have to walk outside a bit.

by helium

Why?

If they built a tunnel under Causeway St., why couldn't they build a walking tunnel perpendicular and go under where the new development will never be?

by Ron Newman

I believe the existing headhouse is considered temporary and is to be absorbed by whatever development occurs on the Old Garden site.

by octr202

Ron Newman wrote:I believe the existing headhouse is considered temporary and is to be absorbed by whatever development occurs on the Old Garden site.
Exactly. Keep in mind that the T always envisioned having the main concourse/waiting area of North Station be on the open lot. My guess is that now the T has agreed to give up that future station area in return for having the new area built by Delaware North. So, who knows what will happen to the subway entrance. Hopefully we'll at least get a roof so people can stay dry at some point.

by MBTAFan

This isn't what they were originally planning, but it is definitely welcome. Kinda strange that they're eating up platform space to do the expansion though. Since the owners of the building are paying for this, I'm sure the MBTA is happy because they're getting an improved lobby for free.

Apparently there's no interest in developing the former Garden site? It will be nice if you could eventually come up right inside the Garden.

by caduceus

Interesting that the supplied design graphic still includes tracks 11 and 12, with a train on one of them... :)

by Ron Newman

That will have to await eventual demolition of Spaulding Rehab Hospital, which I think is moving to Charlestown.

I'm a little concerned about what limits the shorter platforms will place on train length, especially if commuter rail service is eventually extended to New Hampshire, or more Amtrak routes are added.

by Red Wing

Read this in the Herald:

"In return, the T gave up a valuable easement on the site of the old Boston Garden that could have been used to build a passenger waiting area when the property is developed. Grabauskas said passengers are better served by a waiting area adjacent to the tracks on which work can begin almost immediately."

Looks like the station will never be expanded towards Causeway St.

by danib62

Done by November? yea right! Anyone want to take bets on the actual opening day of the new North Station? My money is for May '07.

Enough with the cynicism though. This is definitely a move in the right direction. Kudos to the T and Delaware North.

by Otto Vondrak

So they're finally doing now what they should have done 15 years ago... build a concourse and waiting area for commuters. But why doesn't the station front on Causeway Street? The current arrangement looks so temporary, I just assumed now that the El is gone they could finally build whatever it was they were looking to build when they started construction of the new station/sports complex...

by danib62

I have a sinking feeling that since they are building this expansion in such short time it's going look temporary and rather utilitarian rather then anything close to what South Station looks like.