• ex-CNJ GP40P Units

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ns3010

beanbag wrote:
ns3010 wrote:I saw 4214 shoving out of Lake Hopatcong this morning, and it looked like it was smoking A LOT. Much more than your typical EMD. Don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing, but it can't be a very good thing either...
How was its acceleration? If it was slow, usually lots of smoke+slow acceleration= toast turbocharger. Or its just a crappy locomotive, 4904 did the same thing in front of me last year.
Don't know. I was driving across the tracks on Landing Road, and only got a quick glance of the train pulling out below.
  by Uzi-Cat

If by morning you are talking like the 6 or 7AM timeframe, that engine had been idling for quite some time after being shut down overnight. The EMD's will smoke like crazy if they have been idling for a long period. The EL E8's going west out of Hoboken in the 60's were notorious for this. But that smoking 4214 is normal for that time. If you saw it later in the day and it wasn't idling than that engine is F***ed.
  by Jtgshu

Uzi-Cat wrote:If by morning you are talking like the 6 or 7AM timeframe, that engine had been idling for quite some time after being shut down overnight. The EMD's will smoke like crazy if they have been idling for a long period. The EL E8's going west out of Hoboken in the 60's were notorious for this. But that smoking 4214 is normal for that time. If you saw it later in the day and it wasn't idling than that engine is F***ed.
Oh man its great getting a loco from the MMC or a Hudson Protect diesel and running down the Corridor in Notch 8. The longer its been idling the better. A week? Sure!!!! That means from Newark Penn Station to at least Hunter, and maybe EWR, you aren't going to be able to see the traffic lights down on McCarter Highway through the smoke. I bet there aren't ANY mosquitos around for days after one of those locos makes their way through the area!!!

BTW, the 4100 was inside the loco shop at the MMC over a drop table, it looks like it might have had a new traction motor/axle assembly put on. I only saw it from a distance tho, so im not certain.
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:
Uzi-Cat wrote:If by morning you are talking like the 6 or 7AM timeframe, that engine had been idling for quite some time after being shut down overnight. The EMD's will smoke like crazy if they have been idling for a long period. The EL E8's going west out of Hoboken in the 60's were notorious for this. But that smoking 4214 is normal for that time. If you saw it later in the day and it wasn't idling than that engine is F***ed.
Oh man its great getting a loco from the MMC or a Hudson Protect diesel and running down the Corridor in Notch 8. The longer its been idling the better. A week? Sure!!!! That means from Newark Penn Station to at least Hunter, and maybe EWR, you aren't going to be able to see the traffic lights down on McCarter Highway through the smoke. I bet there aren't ANY mosquitos around for days after one of those locos makes their way through the area!!!

BTW, the 4100 was inside the loco shop at the MMC over a drop table, it looks like it might have had a new traction motor/axle assembly put on. I only saw it from a distance tho, so im not certain.
I had the 4217 on it's first test train after it was "rebuilt." The thing smoked something awesome until County. Same can be said for the 4800 when I had it on its first ACES test train last year. Pretty sure we tore a new hole in the o-zone layer with the smoke the P40 put out.
  by ns3010

Yes, it was the morning. 7:20ish departure from Lake Hopatcong (1002? 1006? maybe?). So I guess it wasn't that bad, then, since it was the first stop of the day.
  by Uzi-Cat

Yeah, that train is just accelerating from its first stop. Gotta burn out the residual oil. I love that. I miss the tunnel in Hoboken being 50. For that brief period of time, during the westbound rush hour, you couldn't see through the tunnel let alone breath in there. It was great.
  by ACeInTheHole

4107 came through Short Hills yesterday, ironically its 4119 and 4120 and a brace of PL42s that are all over the M@E as of recent
  by blockline4180

beanbag wrote:4107 came through Short Hills yesterday, ironically its 4119 and 4120 and a brace of PL42s that are all over the M@E as of recent
I think the 4107 and 4119 have been all over the M&E for weeks now!
  by ACeInTheHole

blockline4180 wrote:
beanbag wrote:4107 came through Short Hills yesterday, ironically its 4119 and 4120 and a brace of PL42s that are all over the M@E as of recent
I think the 4107 and 4119 have been all over the M&E for weeks now!
Yeah 4119 has been up here awhile that was my first time seeing the 07. Cant wait for the 45s to come in! I can imagine that this Penn station fiasco here will scramble more than a few sets.
  by ACeInTheHole

Oh yeah Uzi 4216 was on 660 today, it was making a funny noise as it left Broad Street.. something has to be broke on that engine, it did not sound right at all, the prime mover was making a grinding sound like it wanted to blow itself apart, and it was having trouble getting its train out of the station, it was noticeably slower than 4121 that was on 854 earlier, and 4121 had an extra car (6 cars vs. 5) to deal with. I feel your pain with that engine it looked awful to run just watching it leave.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by ApproachMedium

The only time I ever operated a CNJ Geep I had the misfortune of it being the 4105 in the MMC. If your told you have two cars to a stop in that loco you give it full independent then, because thats how long it would take for that hunk of junk to come to a stop.

And my smokeout story was 2 geeps and an F40 on the sunday fuel move out of bayhead. All units online. As soon as we cleared up rt 35 crossing you couldnt see all of bay head and point pleasant behind us at all...
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:The only time I ever operated a CNJ Geep I had the misfortune of it being the 4105 in the MMC. If your told you have two cars to a stop in that loco you give it full independent then, because thats how long it would take for that hunk of junk to come to a stop.

And my smokeout story was 2 geeps and an F40 on the sunday fuel move out of bayhead. All units online. As soon as we cleared up rt 35 crossing you couldnt see all of bay head and point pleasant behind us at all...
Seems 4105 and 4216 could both use the work that 4217 had done to it.. Was 4217 a particularly bad engine before its mini overhaul? Why was THAT particular engine chosen?
  by Sid Farkus

beanbag wrote:Seems 4105 and 4216 could both use the work that 4217 had done to it.. Was 4217 a particularly bad engine before its mini overhaul? Why was THAT particular engine chosen?
No chance 4105 gets any considerable improvements done.
  by ACeInTheHole

Sid Farkus wrote:
beanbag wrote:Seems 4105 and 4216 could both use the work that 4217 had done to it.. Was 4217 a particularly bad engine before its mini overhaul? Why was THAT particular engine chosen?
No chance 4105 gets any considerable improvements done.
Well yeah that I knew, I was more interested in the 4217 question, ive known that 4105 is garbage and will stay garbage until its retired. But that braking situation cAnt be a good thing... Is it better with a train?
  by ACeInTheHole

Uzi- we got a royal suckfest out here in Short Hills today, the last two diesel trains that came through here had 4216 and 4112.. Your favorite engines!*sarcasm* They were within half an hour of each other :-D