• ex-CNJ GP40P Units

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ACeInTheHole

TDowling wrote:Are all the Geeps from the CNJ or are there EL ones too?
4100-4112 are the CNJ geeps, 4145-4147 4149-4150 are from KCS and CSX, 4200-4218 are from Conrail, and 4219 is the rebuilt 4148. All were rebuilt by Conrail.
  by Jtgshu

beanbag wrote:
4100-4112 are the CNJ geeps, 4145-4147 4149-4150 are from KCS and CSX, 4200-4218 are from Conrail, and 4219 is the rebuilt 4148. All were rebuilt by Conrail.
The GP40PH-2As (their offical name), the 4145 to 4150 were rebuild from freight locos by MPI. The 4148 was rebuilt (basically had a new cab put on) by Juniata after the Secaucus wreck in 1996
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:
beanbag wrote:
The GP40PH-2As (their offical name), the 4145 to 4150 were rebuild from freight locos by MPI. The 4148 was rebuilt (basically had a new cab put on) by Juniata after the Secaucus wreck in 1996
Oh yeah i forgot the A/B designations! Good catch thanks For the corrections JT. I must ask, are the CNJ Geeps in trouble now that the 45s are about to come online?
  by AmTransit

beanbag wrote:I must ask, are the CNJ Geeps in trouble now that the 45s are about to come online?
Some may be but I would guess the remaining F40PH-2CAT's and GP40FH-2's will go before the CNJ Geeps do.
  by Jtgshu

Im not going to get into it on here, but from what I have heard a few times from a few places, there future is very secure as a matter of fact.

I wouldn't be so sure about the rest of the FH's and the F40s, but who knows. The remaining FHs seem to have 20 lives.

Also, I wouldn't expect the DMs to "replace" anything for a while yet

As a totally unrelated note, thats why the new ALP46s are called ALP46As - they are following the same pattern of locomotive designation

The CNJ GP40s are GP40PH-2s, then 4145-4150 are GP40PH-2As, and 4200-4218 are GP40PH-2Bs (I think 4219 has -2B on it, I don't remember off hand)

Id assume if another order of ALP46s were to come they would be ALP46Bs. Much easier than they did with the ALP44 series (O, E, and M)
  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Im not going to get into it on here, but from what I have heard a few times from a few places, there future is very secure as a matter of fact.

I wouldn't be so sure about the rest of the FH's and the F40s, but who knows. The remaining FHs seem to have 20 lives.

As a totally unrelated note, thats why the new ALP46s are called ALP46As - they are following the same pattern of locomotive designation

The CNJ GP40s are GP40PH-2s, then 4145-4150 are GP40PH-2As, and 4200-4218 are GP40PH-2Bs (I think 4219 has -2B on it, I don't remember off hand)

Id assume if another order of ALP46s were to come they would be ALP46Bs. Much easier than they did with the ALP44 series (O, E, and M)
Happy to hear that their future is safe.
  by M1 9147

4219 is actually a GP40PH-2A which was formerly 4146 (The locomotive involved with the head-on Harmon Cove Wreck which killed both engineers).
  by ACeInTheHole

M1 9147 wrote:4219 is actually a GP40PH-2A which was formerly 4146 (The locomotive involved with the head-on Harmon Cove Wreck which killed both engineers).
4219 was 4148 not 4146, 4146 is still very much in working order as 4146 at the moment.
  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote:Im not going to get into it on here, but from what I have heard a few times from a few places, there future is very secure as a matter of fact.

This all seems extremely hard to believe since NJT is getting more then 30 of the DP's, but I guess since you work for the railroad and you have talked to people "in the know," then I'll just have to believe you for now!! LOL :-)
  by ACeInTheHole

blockline4180 wrote:

This all seems extremely hard to believe since NJT is getting more then 30 of the DP's, but I guess since you work for the railroad and you have talked to people "in the know," then I'll just have to believe you for now!! LOL :-)
The dual modes cant just cover all diesel assignments blockline that will defeat their purpose, if you think about it a little i can kind of see what hes getting at, theyll take out the remaining FHs and F40s, then theyll have their own assignments to tend to as well once penn station opens up to them (think Bay Head or Raritan to Penn Station and the like) that only a DP would be able to handle. It would be an extremely idiotic move to retire the CNJs and F40s together and replace them with that few 45s, NJT would be far too power short in the diesel department i would think, now if there were more than 35 DPs thatz when id worry about the CNJs, JT does my guess and reasoning seem accurate to you? Feel free to correct me.
  by chuchubob

4146 has been seen working the ACL.
  by Jtgshu

NJT needs Geeps - there aren't enough Dual Modes right now (maybe in future orders, who knows) to replace all the Geeps in passenger/revenue service. Also, NJT needs Geeps for the simple fact that in work and yard service, dual modes or any full cowl body unit will not work. NJT needs Geeps for work trains as there aren't always places to turn the power and we often run long hood forward (roughly half the time...) on work trains and equipment relay moves, and you can't run long hood forward in a PL or dual mode. Also, as protect power, a Geep can be used if the loco or cab car craps out. If a cab car craps out, you put the Geep on the front of the train and run it long hood forward. If the diesel craps out, you put it on the end and its short nose west (normal) - without a Geep as protect power, you really need at least 1 spare cab car in each terminal AND a spare locomotive.

So as far as I know, the Geeps (pretty much all of them, except maybe really bad actors) are safe, and the full body units are kind of on thin ice (not the PL42s, but the F40s and FHs) - that was mentioned in the "Locomotive" article last year
  by blockline4180

Ok, I got it!!
NJT Needs geeps!!!!!!!! :-)
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:NJT needs Geeps - there aren't enough Dual Modes right now (maybe in future orders, who knows) to replace all the Geeps in passenger/revenue service. Also, NJT needs Geeps for the simple fact that in work and yard service, dual modes or any full cowl body unit will not work. NJT needs Geeps for work trains as there aren't always places to turn the power and we often run long hood forward (roughly half the time...) on work trains and equipment relay moves, and you can't run long hood forward in a PL or dual mode. Also, as protect power, a Geep can be used if the loco or cab car craps out. If a cab car craps out, you put the Geep on the front of the train and run it long hood forward. If the diesel craps out, you put it on the end and its short nose west (normal) - without a Geep as protect power, you really need at least 1 spare cab car in each terminal AND a spare locomotive.

So as far as I know, the Geeps (pretty much all of them, except maybe really bad actors) are safe, and the full body units are kind of on thin ice (not the PL42s, but the F40s and FHs) - that was mentioned in the "Locomotive" article last year
I forgot about that too! Thanks JT.. I somehow managed to completely overlook their flexibility.. Are there any particularly bad Geeps that you know of that may be in trouble? I heard 4104, 4105 and 4110 are particularly junk
  by Jtgshu

No, I don't know of any particularly bad units. I don't get a chance to run the CNJ Geeps except in the yard, so I have no idea how well they work.