Railroad Forums 

• ex-CNJ GP40P Units

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#950063  by OCtrainguy

I was just want to verify that the former CNJ GP40Ps are still in use on the following lines: Pascack Valley, Bergen/Main Line (including Port Jervis) and the Boonton Line. Is there one line where there more likely to be utilized on? I'd like to get photos of all the engines, and I am missing a few. Any information would be appreciated.
 #950134  by waldwickrailfan

well, the M&E also has those units, not often, but they do. they are #'d 4100-4112. i will say that they are lately on the PVL.
 #950153  by cruiser939

OCtrainguy wrote:I was just want to verify that the former CNJ GP40Ps are still in use on the following lines: Pascack Valley, Bergen/Main Line (including Port Jervis) and the Boonton Line. Is there one line where there more likely to be utilized on? I'd like to get photos of all the engines, and I am missing a few. Any information would be appreciated.
Just go to Hoboken. They all end up there sooner or later.
 #950172  by Uzi-Cat

waldwickrailfan wrote:well, the M&E also has those units, not often, but they do. they are #'d 4100-4112. i will say that they are lately on the PVL.
You are pretty much wrong. They don't frequent one line more than any other. They go wherever they go. A train that runs trips on the M&E will also run trips on the PVL, ML or BL throughout its normal daily cycle. They don't set aside specific sets of trains for specific lines. Go to Hoboken and you will see whatever is currently in service just like Cruiser said.
 #950230  by OCtrainguy

I was thinking about some time at Hoboken before heading out toward one of the lines they normally run on. I appreciate the information.
 #950391  by Roadgeek Adam

waldwickrailfan wrote:go there during Rush hours (6am-9am)(4pm-7pm) and you should catch many of them.
I don't remember the train #, and I really don't want to after what happened with the Lyndhurst blooper, but I caught 4101 on the Main Line recently at Kingsland. That was during the end of rush hour on the same day.

This arrived give or take 7:40 PM
 #950397  by waldwickrailfan

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:go there during Rush hours (6am-9am)(4pm-7pm) and you should catch many of them.
I don't remember the train #, and I really don't want to after what happened with the Lyndhurst blooper, but I caught 4101 on the Main Line recently at Kingsland. That was during the end of rush hour on the same day.

i was just saying that was the main time you would see them. they do come around later.
 #950431  by nick11a

Roadgeek Adam wrote:

I caught that set going to Hackettstown just recently. Yes, they get around.
 #951060  by cruiser939

Roadgeek Adam wrote:

Am I the only one asking themselves what the heck you are talking about with the Lyndhurst blooper?
 #951063  by sixty-six

cruiser939 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:

Am I the only one asking themselves what the heck you are talking about with the Lyndhurst blooper?
I think he's talking about the fatality that almost occurred that he mentioned.
 #951079  by cruiser939

jimzim66 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:Am I the only one asking themselves what the heck you are talking about with the Lyndhurst blooper?
Oh, so we're now calling those bloopers? I just though it was natural selection.
 #951429  by GSC

Most of the GP40s on the NJCL are 4200-series, occasionally you'll see one of the old CNJ units.
 #990693  by ACeInTheHole

cruiser939 wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:Am I the only one asking themselves what the heck you are talking about with the Lyndhurst blooper?
Oh, so we're now calling those bloopers? I just though it was natural selection.
HAHA well said cruiser.