• ex-CNJ GP40P Units

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:No, I don't know of any particularly bad units. I don't get a chance to run the CNJ Geeps except in the yard, so I have no idea how well they work.
Ah okay, thank you anyway for your valuble information JT.
  by Steve F45

JT, which of the gp's are former NYC gp40's?
  by Jtgshu

Steve F45 wrote:JT, which of the gp's are former NYC gp40's?
I have no idea, but hobokenterminal.com has all the history of the locos, but I know its a handful of the 4200s and maybe the 4302.

A few years ago, someone wrote the histories of some of the locos on the inside of the front cab wall behind the numberboards, but in most, if not all, they have been removed/painted over. They seemed to step up the cleaning/repainting of the cabs when the "Jesus Saves" (he uses coupons!) and the fish were popping up in all the locos....
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:No, I don't know of any particularly bad units. I don't get a chance to run the CNJ Geeps except in the yard, so I have no idea how well they work.
4105 is garbage.
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
4105 is garbage.
Is 4104 junk too? It was pulling my train today #877 which i decided to take for an extended ride to just relax and shake off some issues (blockline you know this), 4104 seemed to have good mastery of the 5 car comet set it was pulling. And it actually had a clue what to do in wet weather unlike the last several PL42s ive rode behind.
  by blockline4180

beanbag wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
4105 is garbage.
Is 4104 junk too? It was pulling my train today #877 which i decided to take for an extended ride to just relax and shake off some issues (blockline you know this), 4104 seemed to have good mastery of the 5 car comet set it was pulling. And it actually had a clue what to do in wet weather unlike the last several PL42s ive rode behind.

I was told 4107 is a good engine and rarely breaks down....I think 4102 or 03 are also pretty good.
  by ACeInTheHole

blockline4180 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
4105 is garbage.

I was told 4107 is a good engine and rarely breaks down....I think 4102 or 03 are also pretty good.
Hows 4100? How come we never hear about that one?
  by Uzi-Cat

haven't seen the 4100 in a while now. Might be buried in deep within the bowels of MMC. Probably being used for sleeping quarters. the 4102 and 4103 are good engines. I can't remember which but one of them is labeled the "bergen bullet". I get to run the 4107 somewhat regularly it seems and it is a decent enough engine as well. I want to say the 4109 is a good one too. Haven't run them recently so I don't remember for sure. Whatever one it is, I will take it over a PL or any of the other GP's any day of the week. Had one of the 4200's this weekend and it sucked worse than the 4105.
  by ACeInTheHole

Uzi-Cat wrote:haven't seen the 4100 in a while now. Might be buried in deep within the bowels of MMC. Probably being used for sleeping quarters. the 4102 and 4103 are good engines. I can't remember which but one of them is labeled the "bergen bullet". I get to run the 4107 somewhat regularly it seems and it is a decent enough engine as well. I want to say the 4109 is a good one too. Haven't run them recently so I don't remember for sure. Whatever one it is, I will take it over a PL or any of the other GP's any day of the week. Had one of the 4200's this weekend and it sucked worse than the 4105.
What is so wrong with 4105? How come it recieves so much punishment?
  by blockline4180

beanbag wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
4105 is garbage.

Hows 4100? How come we never hear about that one?

don't know about the 4100... Haven't seen that engine in years!!!
  by ACeInTheHole

Uzi did the junker 4200 happen to be 4216? I saw that one come out from the Boonton right as I got off 4104s train.
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:JT, which of the gp's are former NYC gp40's?
I have no idea, but hobokenterminal.com has all the history of the locos, but I know its a handful of the 4200s and maybe the 4302.

A few years ago, someone wrote the histories of some of the locos on the inside of the front cab wall behind the numberboards, but in most, if not all, they have been removed/painted over. They seemed to step up the cleaning/repainting of the cabs when the "Jesus Saves" (he uses coupons!) and the fish were popping up in all the locos....
I saw 4302 just the other day, looked like it was delivering wooden rail ties to the trackwork just outside Broad Street (theyve ripped up track 3 now).
  by Uzi-Cat

Bag, I think it was the 4216. Had no power whatsoever and the brakes on the train sucked. I would actually take a PL over that engine.

The 4105 just has everything wrong with it. No power, bad independent brake, leaks like crazy, breaks down all the time, toilet smells, fridge doesn't work, Engineer's seat wobbles, real bad lateral motion above 20 MPH... etc. It is just a dog. All those problems can be fixed but our forces are just not capable or willing to try.
  by ns3010

I saw 4214 shoving out of Lake Hopatcong this morning, and it looked like it was smoking A LOT. Much more than your typical EMD. Don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing, but it can't be a very good thing either...
  by ACeInTheHole

ns3010 wrote:I saw 4214 shoving out of Lake Hopatcong this morning, and it looked like it was smoking A LOT. Much more than your typical EMD. Don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing, but it can't be a very good thing either...
How was its acceleration? If it was slow, usually lots of smoke+slow acceleration= toast turbocharger. Or its just a crappy locomotive, 4904 did the same thing in front of me last year.