Railroad Forums 

• Ever just get tired of it all?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#154898  by Guest

I mean I love my job, I really do. It's just I'm tired. I'm tired of the BS at work - Why can't I just go to work and do my job and come home? Why do I have to deal with unions, guys that bitch and moan, guys that play games with the seniority system and jobs...managment that is plain wrong. I'm tired of the d@mned railroad calling me all the time to go to work. I'm tired of other railroaders calling me to make a deal. I'm tired of not knowing what day of the week it is. I'm tired of my wife telling me about events in my kids life that I missed. I'm tired of my kids asking me to do stuff with them and me saying "Sorry sweetie, I can't get the time off".

Damn, I need a vacation.

-r

#154899  by DutchRailnut

Just remember not to many quit the railroad voluntairy.
Life realy sucks outside the Railroads ;-)

#154914  by jg greenwood

It does get damned sickening at times! The same low-lifes marking off every payday weekend, the union bull$hit, "we'll address your compliants based upon your seniority," etc. The obvious mis-management,
the hours spent in the vans with drivers dead on their a$$ from working 20-hours per day to earn anywhere near a decent wage, the horse$hit callers, missing appointments, graduations, ballgames, recitals, your kids/grandkids growing up. As the old saying goes: "we're not paid for the work we do, we're paid for the lifestyle we lead."

#154941  by slchub

Amen!
 #155258  by thebigc

razor wrote:I mean I love my job, I really do. It's just I'm tired. I'm tired of the BS at work - Why can't I just go to work and do my job and come home? Why do I have to deal with unions, guys that bitch and moan, guys that play games with the seniority system and jobs...managment that is plain wrong. I'm tired of the d@mned railroad calling me all the time to go to work. I'm tired of other railroaders calling me to make a deal. I'm tired of not knowing what day of the week it is. I'm tired of my wife telling me about events in my kids life that I missed. I'm tired of my kids asking me to do stuff with them and me saying "Sorry sweetie, I can't get the time off".

Damn, I need a vacation.

-r
When I was fairly new, an older Conductor told me: just hang in there kid, the first 15 years are the hardest. After that, you'll just coast.

He was right.

The things that really wound me up years ago just roll off my back now, for the most part. I don't like alot of the things on the RR but I don't let it eat at me anymore.

#155301  by UPRR engineer

Thats the main reason im glad to never be a part of threw freight, besides dogcatching that is. That life style has to get old quick.

jg? you get to come home after every trip buddy?
 #155468  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Razor,

So how long does it take for the normal guy to have a VACATION ATTACK like you? I am a three day old railroad employee!!!!!!!

After closing my Plumbing comany down this spring I had a much needed Vacation attack and took the family on a seven day Caribiean cruise---had a blast-and was well worth the money.

Hang in brother---you the man!

Nashville Newbie
 #155563  by Guest

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote:Razor,
So how long does it take for the normal guy to have a VACATION ATTACK like you? I am a three day old railroad employee!!!!!!!
Eh, it's been a long summer. I've been working extra hours because the TMs keep asking me too. I'm to the point that I turn my phone off. My wife and kids are doing all kinds of stuff, and I wish I was too.

I usually ignore the bad stuff, but every now and then, it gets to you. I got bumped from a job that I've held for a year, even though there was an empty slot in my job pool. The j@ckass who bumped me, then took a hold down on a different job, so an extra employee would have to work my old job -- if there were any extra employees. So guess what they do?..That's right, they call me and beg me to work the job. So... I'm still working my old job, it just isn't my job anymore. Now, J@ckass is bumping onto a different job...and I have to rebid on my old job. See what I mean about the BS?

It's been so busy, I can't even get personal days off ( I have 6 of 'em coming). The #$@%& TM dosen't even bother looking a my requests, I have to go get denied in person. My vacation better get approved, or I'm going postal. Really, I'm not a complainer, but sometimes you just have to get away from it all.

I bumped onto a good yard job for two weeks, so I'll be home every night and get a couple of regular days off. That's something anyhow.

-r
 #156612  by CSX Conductor

razor wrote:I mean I love my job, I really do. It's just I'm tired. I'm tired of the BS at work - Why can't I just go to work and do my job and come home? Why do I have to deal with unions, guys that bitch and moan, guys that play games with the seniority system and jobs...managment that is plain wrong. I'm tired of the d@mned railroad calling me all the time to go to work. I'm tired of other railroaders calling me to make a deal. I'm tired of not knowing what day of the week it is. I'm tired of my wife telling me about events in my kids life that I missed. I'm tired of my kids asking me to do stuff with them and me saying "Sorry sweetie, I can't get the time off".

Damn, I need a vacation.

-r
I mean you no dis-respect, but if the railroad is getting to you that much, why come here to post?!? I would think you might want to stay away from everything rr related for a bit.

I do however relate to what you're saying. Yes the road lifestyle sucks, but sometimes I prefer to go on the road to get a little break from the BS that happens on the locals. It works both ways sometimes. :wink:

#156860  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey RAZOR, here is a thought. I too find myself disgusted, from time to time, with the "antics" of the class 1 carriers. I solve this problem, whenever I get really fed up, by hiring out on a regional, or shortline. For the most part, the hourly pay is pretty close, and likewise the benefits. A big plus is the regular 9-5 hours, a lot of these places run, with saturday being worked, depending on the line. I have hired out, and moved right onto regular jobs, with regular days off, and somewhat fixed hours. (we all know that eventually, a "hot-car", or urgent move must be made). I have worked many lines, and a regular job is in the 40-50 hour per week range. Not quite the bucks I made on the UP extra board, at Englewood (Houston), but well worth the regular hours, when you really need them. When you tire of the same 20 miles of railroad everyday, or if you need more money, hire back out, with a class-1. They are always short of qualified help. In my 23+ years, I have worked for 15 railroads, with a 5+ year stint on CONRAIL, and a 5+ year stint on the UP, as well as a 2+ year sting on the CP/SOO LINE. All of the time in between, was worked on the short-lines, to "get a breather", from the class 1 BS. As a consultant/contractor, I now make my own hours, and choose where I will go, and for how long. Not really feasible, for a family man, but it works for me. Good luck :-D Regards, :wink: [/url]
 #156954  by thirdtrick

my favorite is when they call at about 5am on your rest day. once i innocently picked up the phone on my day off (before i learned to to just turn off the damn thing) and lied, saying i was in another state. and the guy still threatened to show me as refusing work. "you answered the phone, you have to work." back when i still took those clowns seriously.

last time i was checked the real world, things weren't looking too rosy either in terms of finding a job that pays the bills & doesn't drive you half mad. i'd say probably less than half of my friends who went to college are even gainfully employed at the moment.

so screw 'em. mark off sick for a week & use that big paycheck to fly somewhere far far away. what are they gonna do?

#156960  by blippo

That's just one of the idiot agreements the engineers have. If they get a hold of you on the phone, they can force you to go. I guess we can thank our union for that. Our monthly union dues at work

#156976  by GOLDEN-ARM

Where I live, we have "caller-ID, and caller-ID waiting". If the phone number is from the railroad, and I don't feel like working, I just won't answer it. (works great for in-laws, as well :wink: ) Most roads have a rule in effect (not an agreement, with the unions) that you must be available to work, without prior permission to mark-off. I thinks it's a "cheap shot" to try to lay the blame on the unions, for every percieved unjustice, done by the railroads. You think the unions are so bad, then go try to do a stint with EconoRail, or some other tiny outfit, for $8.00 an hour, with no benefits, or overtime. I am always amazed about how guys on the job want to blame the Union, for their woes, instead of blaming the carriers. Run for a position, with your local, and make some changes, if you don't like the deal you are getting, but don't blame the Unions. This just plays into the carriers hand, and in reality, they want us so focused on in-fighting, between out collective unions and crafts, and arguing over BS, so they may implement just these kinds of things, that have you so pissed, right now. The "fight" is with the carriers, not with your Union, or the "other Union". Until we UNITE IN THE FIGHT, against the carriers, we will never "win". And for this, we cannot blame our Unions, but, we must only blame ourselves. The carriers do only what we allow them to do, as we each have a vote (1 man, 1 vote), in my Union, at least. Stand up, and demand those rest days, personal days, whatever. We can, and will make a difference, but we must all stand together, as one. This is the reason for the unions, in the first place, so all voices are heard as 1. You can't screw my brother, if I am watching his back, and vice-versa. Just my humble opinion. Fraternally.... :wink:

#157429  by SteelWheels21

Hehe, when I had to walk my 8500 foot train today that went into emergency in the 98 degree heat, I thought of this topic.

Then I thought of my stepson in Iraq lugging 30 pounds of equipment in 30 degree hotter temps and getting shot at, and the walk wasn't so bad. Quite pleasant, in fact.

This job blows sometimes but overall, it's a good gig. Better than some have it.

#157488  by Guest

I'm over my blue period. I took a hold down on a yard job (6:30A-2:30P), spent some with the family and worked with some really relaxed and fun guys (and one hot conductor trainee chick). I'm back to my happy self. :wink:

-r