• EMD SD70 series official thread (EXCEPT for ACe version)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by DutchRailnut

The lights you refere too are the step lights, on a F7 they are mounted next to truck and provide lights for steps and ground.
On freight units including SD70's etc they are mounted behind the steps and light the treads.
  by mhomscheidt

Hallo again,

thanks for the useful hints and links. Now I will have a look at all these photos.

Regards
Michael.

by emd_SD_60

by SRS125

I think NYS&W Units have Comfort Cabs I saw 2 a few years ago in the Syracuse, NY area once.

by AmtrakFan

UP's don't have Computers on the Conductors side.

by slchub

EMD-SD60,

Your pic.....Control stand of a SD70M-2.....just like our new locos on the UP. Only problems I see so far is lack of space to set orders, drink and eats, and on the trailing units, if you do not lock the seat in place, it can swing around and hit your automatic brake handle out of the H.O position into Emergency. Had this happen a few trips back. Seems a minor flaw in the new design. I tell you, I prefer to run using the new/old style control stand than i do the desk top type. Running on the flats is okay, but if you are working the canyon using dynamic braking, the control stand is much easier on your wrist. UP supposedly went back to this style just because of that, carpal tunnel sndrome with the desk top controls.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT "COMFORT" CABS ANYMORE, ON THOSE NYSW UNITS. NO ARMRESTS ON THE SEATS, SEATS THAT ARE STUCK IN THE RECLINE POSITION, ALL OF THE EXTERNAL MIRRORS MISSING, CAB INTERIOR PIECES HELD IN PLACE WITH DUCT TAPE, INOPERATIVE GAUGES/LIGHTS, CEILINGS SAGGING ONTO YOUR HEAD, NON-OPERABLE A/C. NO, I WOULDN'T CALL THEM COMFORT CABS. BTW, ONE OF THOSE UNITS EVEN HAS PVC "PATIO" CHAIRS ON IT, IN LIEU OF CONDUCTORS/FIREMANS SEAT !!! (THE UNITS MAKE A "SPARTAN" CAB SEEM LUXURIOUS ) :wink:
  by trainiac

Some SD70M information, if anyone's interested... To the best of my knowledge, here's a breakdown of the variations across the UP SD70M fleet in order of their appearance.

UP 4000-4278: first variation
UP 4279-4634, 4640-4709: fuel cutoff switch is below side frame (rather than in it)
UP 4635-approx. 4726: flared radiators begin
UP approx. 4727-4879, 3971-3973: fuel cutoff switch is small quare (no rectangular housing)
UP 4880-5024: flush dynamic brake intake with vertical bars
UP 3874-3970, 5025-5126: 3 doors at front of engine compartment (instead of 2 wider ones)
UP 3779-3873: 4-section radiator intake (rather than 2 sections)
UP 5127-5231: new nose

I researched these variations because I plan on drawing these in the near future--the drawings, when completed, will be posted at http://trainiax.0catch.com/mescalelocoemd.htm

by SRS125

Must be leaseing them NYS&W units out turned in to a bad idea? Who ever they were leased to must have made them into a parts supply.
Last edited by SRS125 on Wed May 25, 2005 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT PARTS SUPPY. THE BROKEN SEATS ARE JUST THAT. BROKEN. ARMRESTS WERE JUST SNAPPED-OFF, OR REMOVED, NOT USED ON OTHER UNITS. MISSING CAB SEATS ? I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE YET, ON ANOTHER UNIT. MIRRORS WERE "SHEARED-OFF", OR SHATTERED AND REMOVED. CAB AWNINGS TOO. WATER LEAKS IN CAB ROOFS, DUE TO UNSKILLED PERSONS ATTEMPTING TO REPAIR RADIO/OET ANTENNA'S ALLOW RAIN WATER TO LEAK INSIDE, SWELLING UP THE PADDED CEILING, AND CAUSING IT TO FALL DOWN. (ALTHOUGH ROLLS OF DUCT TAPE ARE BEING USED TO "EFFECT" CAB INTERIOR REPAIRS). NO LIGHTS IN ANY BUTTONS, OR SWITCHES ON ENGINES. MISSING LIGHTED CAB NUMBERS, INOPERATIVE A/F GAUGES, ETC, ETC, ETC....... NO MORE "COMFORT" IN THOSE CABS.... :wink:

by nickleinonen

INOPERATIVE A/F GAUGES
you can tack that to cost cutting... at work, we now do nearly all out standard/92 day inspections on our service track... and most people, to check air flow meter operation, full service application, then release. if the needle on the gauge sweeps fully, they ok it for service... it might be way out of calibration but the company wants the power working, not sitting on shop tracks being worked on.

same for repairs... i sometimes get the repairs job at work out on our service track. with the time allowed, and sometimes 8 loco's under the hood, i don't have time to fix every problem.. so duct tape is my friend [along with tiewraps and bailing wire] safety items [wipers, bell, horn, broken seat backs...] i will fix 90% of the time unless they are going to trail the unit for sure [then the next place can try fixing them] but there isn't enough time... if i have an expansion joint on the exhaust blown out and i am changing that out, i don't have much time to do any other repairs. same goes for water leaks, oil leaks, fuel leaks... having to change out injectors on the track is fun too [and changing out injection pumps on ge's fits the last too] i've done a few gearcase lower half change outs on the track too.. the companies want the loco's mechanically fit to make it from one point to the next... they are not that conserned with the crews [sadly :( ] if the companies could get away with giving you a 5 gallon pail and a pillow to sit on, they would.

now if the unit has been shopped for a larger inspection or major repairs, there is no excuse why it should be running around with broken cab equipment, but if it just being trip inspected when fueling, not much you can do..

by AmtrakFan

SRS125,
The 3 NYSW units are in Ohio.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I am not sure about the other folks, but i wouldn't mind having a conventional AAR stand, in the comfort cabs. (the conductor can keep his desk) Maybe a railing around the top of the stand, and a clipboard on top of the cab heater (or similar arangement, due to the under cab heater) like we had on the CP/SOO. Keeps your stuff from falling off the control stand, and somewhere to keep your bulletins/orders close at hand. THAT would be sweet..... :wink:
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Wed May 25, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.