Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70 series official thread (EXCEPT for ACe version)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#96622  by SD70MAC

:-) Hi!I am an EMD anthusiast!I cant Stand GE'S!!!!!!Any way here are some charts of data about the SD70MAC:

Phase One:
EMD Name:SD70MAC
Cab Type:Non-Islolated
Nose Lights?:No
Truck Type:HTC-R
Prime Mover:EMD 710 with 16 cylenders
HP:4000
Radiator Cores:Flush
Purchased By:Burlington Northern,and BNSF.

Phase Two:
Cab Type:Isolated
Nose Lights?:Optional
Truck Type:HTC-RII
Purchased By:BNSF,CSXT,CR,and ARR.

Phase Three:
Cab Type:Isolated
Nose Lights?:Optional
Purchased By:BNSF,and CSXT.

Phase Four
Cab Type:Isloated/Isloated Phase II
Nose Lights:No
HP:4300
Radiator Cores:Flared
Purchased By:CSXT.

Phase Five
Cab Type:Isloated Phase II
Nose Lights:No
HP:4300
Radiator Cors:Flared
Purchased By:CSXT and ARR.
 #96631  by LCJ

Hey dude, crank that avatar down a bunch, huh?

And they say size doesn't matter!

#96851  by mp15ac

That is an excellent what-if scheme. :-D

Stuart

#96855  by scottychaos

and if you are going to create an avatar, there are three things you MUST do first.

1. never link directly to it on someone else's server. host it on your own server space.
2. ask permission from the owner of the image first!
3. RESIZE it!

you broke all 3 rules..please remove it as your avatar.
thanks,
Scot

#97738  by emd_SD_60

BN SD70MAC:

#97849  by emd_SD_60

I think we should devote this topic to all things EMD. Here goes.

ex-Amtrak/ATSF SDP40F:

ATSF GP60M 157 (too large for this page, so here's the link:)
http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/G ... cablbl.jpg

BN SD60M:

NS SD70 2550:
 #98027  by junction tower

I noticed in the picture of CSX SD70MAC #4723, the unit number is written or decaled TEN TIMES that I can see in the picture! Is this REALLY NECESSARY? I personally can't imagine why one decal placed on the forward cab wall between the engineer and conductor wouldn't be God's plenty. If I was responsible for keeping the cabs looking nice inside, (not that there is somebody like that) I would be pissed!
 #98036  by GOLDEN-ARM

LOTS OF CABS YOU MIGHT VISIT, HAVE NUMBERS IN LOTS OF PLACES. I CARRY A SILVER PAINT PEN, AND ADD THE LOCO NUMBER BETWEEN THE RADIO, AND THE BRAKE VALVE, ON ARR EQUIPPED UNITS. SOMETIMES, THE LOCATION THE BUILDER, OR RAILROAD CHOOSES TO PLACE THE NUMBER IS NOT EASILY VISIBLE FROM THE NORMAL OPERATING POSOTION OF THE CREW. (TRY RUNNING 7 DAYS A WEEK, 355 DAYS A YEAR, EVERY DAY IN A DIFFERENT LOCO. THERE ARE TIMES YOU NEED THAT NUMBER, AND NEED IT NOW) MOST GUYS WILL ALSO CARRY A "SHARPIE", TO APPLY THE NUMBER WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN. NEED TO ANSWER A DETECTOR, DISPATCHER, OR ANOTHER CREW, YOU NEED THAT NUMBER, WITHOUT HAVING TO FIND WHERE THE RR PLACED IT. I PUT THE NUMBER ON THE WINDSHIELD, ALSO, SO I AM LOOKING AT IT AS I LOOK FORWARD. (IT'S UP IN THE LEFT CORNER, VISIBLE AT NIGHT WITH THE HEADLIGHT BACKLIGHTING IT). EASILY WASHED OFF, IF SOMEONE ELSE DOESN'T WANT IT, BUT IT HELPS ME AT NIGHT TO KNOW WHAT UNIT I AM ON. AFTER 22 YEARS, EVERY ENGINE IS "JUST ANOTHER ONE",(UNLESS YOU GET AN ALCO, OR COVERED WAGON, ETC !!!) AND WHO HAS TIME TO REMEMBER LOCO NUMBERS EVERY TRIP ? REGARDS, DAVE

#100946  by Alcochaser

NYSW SD70M units have desktop controls.

But, they also have ditchlights on both ends.

#110113  by emd_SD_60

CN_Hogger wrote:Lately it seems that almost every SD40 type IC unit has a P5, I've seen one or two with a K5LA. I've only seen one SD70 with a K5LA. all the others have P5's.
trainiac wrote:
Most IC SD40's have Nathan P3's and P5's, typical of IC. Some also have Leslie S5T's. The SD70's have Nathan P5's.
Yeah most of the SD40/SD70/GP38's I have seen have had P5's. Although yesterday I saw one of the rare ones with a Leslie...

The ex-LMS Dash 8's have S-3L's(2460-2466) and P5's (2455-2459), the GTW SD40's of 1970 have M3H's (although i'm beginning to see them outfitted with P5's:(), all the SD75I's have K3L's, and the new order of Dash 9's (in 2700 series) have K3H's.

As for the UP SD70M's with K5LA's, I think this was only on the mid-2000 order of SD70M's, I had the pleasure of catching one, it sounded rather odd (guess i'm only used to the K3LA's) on it.

Most of the BN SD70MAC's had Canadian K3L's.

Norfolk Southern locomotives have a mix of P5's, S-3L's, and K5LA's.
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

#110686  by ANDY117

What do NYSW GP20's have?

#110872  by emd_SD_60

[quote="emd_SD_60] Yeah most of the SD40/SD70/GP38's I have seen have had P5's. Although yesterday I saw one of the rare ones with a Leslie...[/quote]

Looking at the Five Chime Consultants site, I think it was an S-5T. Quite rare on any IC locomotive nowadays.

#111803  by emd_SD_60

All the new UP SD70M's (5200 series) have standard AAR control stands. Same for all new UP power, I was surprised to find this out. Look at thread "SD40-2's arent dead" in this same forum for more info. :wink:

#112254  by MR77100

The Conrail SD70's were numbered in sequence with NS' own SD70's, since NS would get them. Same goes for the Conrail SD70MAC's that would go to CSX. The SD70MAC's that CSX bought themselves are classified as SD70AC's, since their computer systems will only hold 6 digits, but they are SD70MAC's.