Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70 series official thread (EXCEPT for ACe version)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#130417  by shortlinerailroader

Man, those NYSW units seem worse than our CF7s. I agree with Golden Arm in that I would like, at the very least, a piece of angle iron welded to the cab heater just to hold GTBs, warrants, sandwiches, switch lists, etc in place. Big cab on those CF7s, but not much space outside.

#130588  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, shortline. you can get a clipboard clip, from "staples, office depot" etc., and screw it onto the top of the heater, with a couple of salf tapping sheet metal screws. that'll hold those papers in place. If you ever get the chance to see the cab of a CP SD-40, check out the cool rack, that holds your drink, cell phone, gloves, etc... from falling off the control stand. If you can "aquire" one, your shops guys could make copies, and outfit all of the power, on your road :wink: . Those things should have been installed at LaGrange, as factory equipment. Once you've worked on a unit with one, it's hard to do without it. ( kind of like having ditch lights, on the CP, then going to another road, before they became mandatory. I never knew what i was "missing", until I got those ditch light units on the SOO ) regards :-D

#131575  by emd_SD_60

If i'm not mistaken, the 1993-1994 order of UP C41-8W's had a mix of K3LA's and S-3L's. Most ofthe ones I have seen have K3LA's, but I saw one today (9542) had a Leslie. Unless they all came with K3LA's and the 9542's crapped out and UP put a surplus SD40-2 S-3L on it. Maybe UPRR Engineer might know.
 #141711  by Tadman

Do I recall that Alaska RR is ordering some SD70's with HEP generators for dual service? If so, what is the big commotion over DEDM units, MP36 units, and the other assorted half-baked engines that run passenger trains these days? Couldn't the commuter agencies buy these SD70-HEP units too? I undestand there was some issues at Metra with parts commonality on the 645 and some issues at LIRR with clearances and local build clauses, however I fail to see how the agencies would pay double for a clunker when the SD70 is available.

#141720  by DutchRailnut

The ARR SD70's run one inverter for HEP and are then only four motor SD units.
ARR runs at relative low speeds, for commuter operations a SD at max speed of 60 on most rail would not suffice.

#141735  by ANDY117

They mainly handle Freight runs, and only long distance trains. Most other ARR equip. is HEP equipped.

#142814  by boston774

DutchRailnut wrote:The ARR SD70's run one inverter for HEP and are then only four motor SD units.
ARR runs at relative low speeds, for commuter operations a SD at max speed of 60 on most rail would not suffice.
Four motor? Does this mean it's like an old E-series with only the outer axles on each truck powered? Interesting...

#142957  by MEC407

I think I read somewhere that they are set up so that when in "passenger mode," only 4 of the 6 traction motors are operational, but when in "freight mode," all 6 traction motors are operational.
 #148907  by slchub

Any one have any idea why the a/c tends to be finiky on these units? Will work fine, then just quit blowing cold air for 5-6 hours, then begin to work again. Last night for instance, the a/c quit about 20 minutes before the guys brought her to town. We thought maybe the compressor had ice, so we turned her off for 20 minutes, and sweltered in 115 degree heat. Turned her back on, it just blew hot air. So we told the dispatcher who said he would try to keep us moving, until the next siding where we sat for 3 hours. About 2 hours later, 5 hours after we took over the train, she started blowing cold air again. We turned off the fresh air make-up switch, the breaker on the panel, and tried several settings on the selector switch as well. Nothing helped. She just decided to start blowing again on her own. Any thoughts on this?
 #149593  by nickleinonen

must be nice to have a/c... during the last few weeks while at work, i really felt sorry for the crews taking the consists that i was testing at the diesel shop.. all i could do was make sure the fridge was cold and full of cold water... you see, next to none of CN's units have a/c [some wc's and ic's do, but they usually don't lead]

#150550  by ANDY117

What horns do CP 7309, and 7311 have? I'm asking because im making 3 CP/D&H units for our layout (already have 2, third one needs new numbers). Here's the numbers and modifications:

7309- currently in D&H paint. Going to become 7312.

7311- Needs a white frame stripe.

3069- to become CP 7309. I think this one has K5LAR34's. But i can't tell from any pics. Anyone with CP know?

#151390  by trainiac

CP 7309 has a Nathan K5LAR23; CP 7311 has a Nathan K3HR2.

#151419  by ANDY117

thanks!
 #163001  by NorfolkSouthernSean

What's the deal with the demonstrators? SD70M-2's GM75 & GM76 have been repainted and relettered to EMDX75 & EMDX76. Are the rest of the demonstrators, SD70ACe's GM70-73 & SD70M-2 GM74 going to be repainted and relettered as well? I don't see why they would do only the two SD70M-2's since EMD was acquired by Greenbrier.

#163030  by Phil Hom

Well, I guess the two locomotives were near an EMDiesel paintshop. The other ones will most likely be painted when they pull in for inspection.

It's bettter to wait for them to come in, rather than chasing down the locomotives on the road just to take off anything relating to General Motors.