Railroad Forums 

• Delaware Coast Line Railway

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#533970  by livercup

The State of Delaware does own both lines, and DCL has long term leases to operate them. I don't think the state can file for abandonment without DCL relinquishing their leases. I also get the feeling that DCL has no intention of relinquishing them. They appear to be rail fans, as well as capable and innovative operators. My opinion is DCL's future looks bright. My hope is a future excursion or two. And there is hope.

#534460  by PVRX1

Delaware Railway Administration (DelDOT) owns both rail lines operated under contract by Delaware Coast Line.

The 1994 contract was for 5 years (1999) with an option for 5 additional years (2004). MDDE did not take the extension and DCLR regained its contract. So, I am guessing the same applies and it is technically a ten year contract period.
 #551657  by livercup

From what I am told, the lease is much longer than that (like a 99 year lease). MDDE sub leased the line and then gave it back. Their sub lease might have been 5 X 5, but DCLRs is longer I think. Could be wrong, but I got it from a good authority. I don't think they intend to relinquish anything without a fight. And I don't think that they have to unless they want to.
 #556334  by The Tenth Legion

I'll be in Lewes this Saturday. I doubt DCL will be there, switching SPI (or is it Barcroft?), but I'll still take a ride to the end of the line and check it out. I'd love to catch the T-6, RS-18 or RS-36 with a cut of tankcars and covered hoppers there or at the swing bridge over the canal.
 #556467  by RailVet

The line to Rehoboth was abandoned and pulled up long ago. The track was still intact but heavily overgrown when I used to go to the beach with my family in the early 1970s, but it has since been ripped up. Using Google Earth you can see where the line was built over, paved over, plowed under, and converted into a bike trail. The best source for the history of this and other Delmarva lines can be found in "Rails Along the Chesapeake" by John Hayman, published in 1979 by Marvadel Publishers. And yes, there was passenger service on this line.
 #558362  by PVRX1

Livercup,

The RFP clearly stated five year lease. I submitted a proposal on it in 1994, took the state high rail tour, etc. MDDE opted out after their five year stint. Then it reverted to DCLR through the same bidding / procurement process.

There was no sublease, nor 99 year lease, the lease was directly with the state and the railroads. I di not see the 2004 rfp to see if it changed in length.

Jim
 #565591  by The Tenth Legion

All that matters to me, and my four-year old son, is that there were three HOKX tankcars and one ROIX covered hopper spotted at SPI in Lewes when we visited after disembarking from the ferry at 1050 on Saturday, 07/19....No T-6, RS-18 or RS-36, though..............
 #568217  by PRSLFAN

At SPI in Lewes, I too see tank and hopper cars sitting in there as well. But, I never see a locomotive there or actually running on the Lewes line. One week I am down and the cars are there and then the cars are not there the next time I look. I never see anything sitting at Nassau Depot either. Usually when I am in the area visiting my Grandparents, I see or hear Nothing. Sadly, my Grandfather passed away in early May, I always remember when he took me on the Queen Anne's Excursion train that ran through Lewes pulled by that old 0-6-0 steam locomotive. I hope to catch a train sooner or later to remind me of the times and know that that the line is still operable.
 #580684  by The Tenth Legion

I've heard from one source that DCL has either a GP-7 or GP-9 in Pennsylvania RR livery. Is this indeed true, and has anyone photographed it? Has it made the run out to Lewes to service SPI? Thanks.
 #589500  by superman

Still nothing new about the Ellendale-Milton line. Both town councils, Ellendale and Milton, are interested in having the line abandoned to create a trail. I'm all for getting rail service through there, however, without any customers on it there's no benefit to them and certainly no reason for passenger service between Ellendale - Milton. Of course, at one time the line ran west all the way to Queenstown, Maryland and ferry linked to Baltimore and east to Rehoboth and ferry linked to Cape May. Anyone know how easy/difficult it would be for a rail to reacquire the right of way? Obviously the tracks were torn out decades ago, but on our property you can still see the raised bed that runs through the woods headed towards Greenwood. Actually, there were stops in Oakley, St. Johnstown, and Owens Station before you got to Greenwood. Although a single rail line wouldn't be very profitable, a comprehensive line may be as the population increases. I doubt there's any real interest in it from the State as DART is the most comprehensive bus service in the nation, but even so there has been clamoring for years from throughout the state for simple passenger rail service to connect the lines operating in Newark & Wilmington to Dover and possibly Rehoboth Beach.
 #592585  by kevikens

I will be in Lwes on Thurs 11/6 and 7. Is thre any time I might be more likely to see a train actually moving / Are thre any stations in the area I might photograph ? Thanks
 #600636  by kevikens

I visited the Delmarva over the weekend to see what still might be going on. I visited the station at Clayton, the one at Dover and the one at Milford. I did not know there still was a station at Milford. in Lewes i was hoping to see a train actually use the drawbridge but the rails looked very rusty and a fence was locked across the line and the bridge was open the whole time i was there. i found what looked like the relic of a station labelled for the Queen Anne RR in Lewes but could not find the old PRR station in Lewes. Is it still intact ? i would like to go back again to see Seaford and Georgetown but would like to get some trains in the station photos. Does anyone have an idea of when I could catch moving traffic on any of the lines in central and southern delaware ? Thanks