• Delaware Coast Line Railway

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by RailVet

I don't think there's an old PRR station still standing in Lewes. The one used by the defunct QARR is, of course, of much more recent construction.

For best results in catching DCL trains running up to Lewes, I'd recommend contacting the DCL beforehand to see when they're actually running. Here are some addresses and phone numbers I found online:

21673 Nanticoke Avenue
Sussex Air Park
Georgetown, DE 19947
302-856-1816

332 Weiner Avenue
Harrington, DE 19952
302-398-0100

PO Box 176
Lincoln, DE 19960
302-422-9200

I think you'll have the best luck if you try the enginehouse in Georgetown, DE, first.
  by kevikens

Thanks. I'll do just that. By the way what is the story on that Queen Anne station ? It looks in bad shape. I found a picture of the DCL RR on another site showing a station labelled Lewis. I didn't see it last week. Is that a modern station or might that be the old PRR station / Thanks again
  by livercup

There is a station still standing in Nassau. Whether is was passenger, or freight only, I don't know. It is just to the east of of the route 1 overpass.
Tom
  by RailVet

The station in Lewes, portrayed in the trainweb.org photo, was erected and used for excursions during the era of the QARR operating as a tenant over the DCL. The platform was used as recently as Nov 04 for a small chartered passenger train from Lewes to Georgetown and back for a post-election celebration in the latter town. (It poured down rain all day. Nice ride, but very wet.) That ride was pulled by the DCL, which has shown little to no interest in any other such trips. Meanwhile, the station is a wreck. When I last saw it, its windows had been broken out and it was looking shabby. I wouldn't be surprised if it's torn down someday due to it becoming an eyesore.
  by The Tenth Legion

Isn't there a team track at Nassau? I thought I've seen something like that while passing over the line on Coastal Highway, but only a quick glimpse. If there is a team track there, does DCL serve any customers there? Thanks.
  by Aardvark

The runaround/siding at Nassau is where they used to store the Queen Anne's equipment. I don't think its used anymore.
  by The Tenth Legion

I just thought of something: For the run into SPI at Lewes, don't they have to push the tankcars and covered hoppers destined for that customer? Do they use the siding at Nassau to runaround the consist, or is it pushed all the way from Georgetown? Thanks.
  by Aardvark

There's another larger runaround further down the line.
  by The Tenth Legion

Where on the line, closer to Lewes or west of Nassau/Coastal Highway overpass? Thanks.
  by The Tenth Legion

Great overhead of the DCL coming into Lewes. Anything new with DCL: new customers, locomotive news, etc? Thanks.
  by PVRX1

Geep7 # 106 has departed the proprty and is now on the CLNA- Carolina Coastal RR.

Re:

by livercup

Legio X wrote:I was looking at a map of Lewes on a Lewes-related website, and it shows the DCL line that ends outside of Cape Henlopen State Park at the SPI-Pharma plant. It also shows a spur that breaks off in Lewes and heads southeast to Rehoboth Beach. I was not aware of this spur. Does it still exist? What is it's history? Was there ever passenger service to Rehoboth via this line?
Yes, there used to be passenger service to Rehoboth. It's was cut back to the canal for freight service early in the last century, and the whole thing has been torn out for many, many years.
Tom
  by Mike Doughney

Coincidentally, the Google Earth image you've posted above shows the exact point of the junction with the spur to Rehoboth. The spur grade-crossed the road in the bottom-right corner of the image, just to the east of where the black car is. Parts of the ROW south of there are now a trail.