Railroad Forums 

• Cyclone Gabrielle, New Zealand East Coast devistation.

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1616604  by David Benton

New Zealand was hit by Cyclone Gabrielle, Feb 12th , and caused damage to large parts of the North Island.
Damage to the East coast , and northern Hawkes Bay , was particularly severe.
Below is a video by Geoff Mackley, of damage to one bridge that is still accessible . Large parts of the railway have not even been viewed yet . It is unlikely this railway line will reopen in the near future.

He has a lot more videos of the damage, and planty of cabrides of other lines.
Personally , I had 1/2 a metre of water through my business workshop , and a metre high wall of water rip out 1/2 my small farms fencing . Benn a bit busy lately.
Thankfully , the death toll is quite low so far , they are still searching , and it is expected to rise.
 #1616658  by NaugyRR

I'm glad you're alright David, houses and fences can be replaced, people can not. My heart goes out to those that were affected.
 #1616717  by David Benton

Thanks , NaugyRR.
Thankfully , at this stage the death toll has not risen , and the number of people reported missing has dropped significantly.
But more heavy rain dues tonight.
Expected reopening times for the main railway lines in the area are 6 months to a year. A rough winter will extend that.
 #1620066  by David Benton

Australia's biggest Iron ore Railway operation shuts down for approaching cyclone.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/ ... e-veronica.
this weather presenter explains it well.