Railroad Forums 

• Customers south of Waterbury, CT?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1200487  by CVRA7

Over the weekend I heard that the C N E wasn't getting cars due to a problem with "Waterbury Switch " on the Amtrak main line just north of the Hartford Union Station. Some of the cars were probably being held for the C N E until the switch is repaired.
A friend familiar with the C N E said they were very pleased with P A S service and now they were doing a better job getting cars to the C N E than "the competition."
Plainvilletrainbuff, I was in the yard this afternoon and saw 10 container boxes on 2 5-packs - do you know if these were the same ones from last week?
 #1200541  by Plainvilletrainbuff

Yes they are. I drive rte 72 daily and they haven't moved. I saw them opening the containers and unloading the contents onto flat trucks on the 5th but I am not sure if the ones in the yard are empty or still waiting to be unloaded. There was initially 25 or so flat cars with the containers but most were shipped out shortly after arrival.
 #1269341  by ccutler

While driving east on I-84 out of Hartford I spotted a train running under the highway on the old NH freight line...saw the last 7 LPG/Propane tank cars, didn't see the rest and, miraculously, didn't drive off the road. I assume those were cars going to Waterbury, but you guys would know better. By the way the train was running at a decent clip, probably 25mph.
 #1269444  by bwparker1

ccutler wrote:While driving east on I-84 out of Hartford I spotted a train running under the highway on the old NH freight line...saw the last 7 LPG/Propane tank cars, didn't see the rest and, miraculously, didn't drive off the road. I assume those were cars going to Waterbury, but you guys would know better. By the way the train was running at a decent clip, probably 25mph.
Probably heading to Plainville for the LPG businesses south of the Plainville Junction. May also be heading to Firestone.
 #1282756  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Hubbard-Hall Gas, roughly a mile south of Waterbury Station (MNR), still gets tanker car shipments. I would assume that this is done late at night, as to date, I have never heard on the radio from MNR RTC District F, of any PAR freight getting issued M Forms to operate down south of Waterbury. And lately, it's been more than a month now since I have seen any cars spotted on the Hubbard-Hall spur. I work the Waterbury daily now.

Rumor has it, interestingly enough, that PAR has plans of rehabilitating some tracks in the Waterbury Yard. If anyone can confirm this, it will be appreciated.
 #1282757  by MNR's #1 Conductor

ccutler wrote:While driving east on I-84 out of Hartford I spotted a train running under the highway on the old NH freight line...saw the last 7 LPG/Propane tank cars, didn't see the rest and, miraculously, didn't drive off the road. I assume those were cars going to Waterbury, but you guys would know better. By the way the train was running at a decent clip, probably 25mph.
Sounds like a trip to Hubbard-Hall was in progress.
 #1282789  by newpylong

Yes there are rumors of someone who might start getting a lot of propane in Waterbury. Might be the same outfit as up in Claremont NH - Plains Gas? Who knows though.
 #1283006  by theozno

newpylong wrote:Yes there are rumors of someone who might start getting a lot of propane in Waterbury. Might be the same outfit as up in Claremont NH - Plains Gas? Who knows though.
Claremont to Hartford will soon be 80MPH (passenger) then it can shoot off south of Hartford to Waturbury correct? it will also be around 1hr shorter. I can see this happening.
 #1283525  by MNR's #1 Conductor

gprimr1 wrote:There's a business looks about 1-2 miles south of the station that has a siding with 3 tank cars on it in Google Maps. 408 Railroad Hill St.

There's also a place called Farrel Corp that looks like a huge factory with a railroad running right through it. Damn shame if they don't get rail service.

There's a couple other cut switches that look like they could be potential customers if Pan Am could deliver on time.
The siding you refer to that gets tanker car shipments is Hubbard Hall Gas Co., about a mile or two south of Waterbury Station.
 #1283526  by MNR's #1 Conductor

newpylong wrote:Yes there are rumors of someone who might start getting a lot of propane in Waterbury. Might be the same outfit as up in Claremont NH - Plains Gas? Who knows though.
Hubbard-Hall maybe? ??
 #1283527  by MNR's #1 Conductor

TomNelligan wrote:The cable company is Kerite, just north of Seymour station. I don't know if they're still a rail customer, but if they are, movements are very infrequent.
The Kerite siding is still in place, but it definitely looks like it has not been used in quite some time. I found out that Kerite gets a delivery of an oversize flat car every 6 months or so, and that car gets loaded with a large spool of submarine cable, and then it gets picked up by Pam Am Railways. Here is a video where a lucky railfan caught the move in daylight at Seymour..... Pan Am PL1 fills out a Form M in Seymour: http://youtu.be/awv_OprrejQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1283576  by H.F.Malone

No, Hubbard-Hall is not a propane customer. It's a chemicals outfit.
 #1286762  by MNR's #1 Conductor

gprimr1 wrote:There's a business looks about 1-2 miles south of the station that has a siding with 3 tank cars on it in Google Maps. 408 Railroad Hill St.

There's also a place called Farrel Corp that looks like a huge factory with a railroad running right through it. Damn shame if they don't get rail service.

There's a couple other cut switches that look like they could be potential customers if Pan Am could deliver on time.

The place you saw south of Waterbury with the tankers on their spur is Hubbard Hall Chemicals.