Railroad Forums 

• Customers south of Waterbury, CT?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1090011  by runningwithscalpels

Yesterday afternoon around 2:30pm (right after Metro North #1926 came into Waterbury) I was crossing under the bridge over Freight St to get back to Route 8 and saw a Pan-Am freight sitting on it - I assume that they were waiting for MNRR to head back south to Bridgeport- there was someone in the cab, so it wasn't just sitting there) - it was #352 and what little I could see looked like tanker cars? (I had something to do at 3pm, so I couldn't hang around - as much as I would have liked to.) I thought freight south of Waterbury was pretty much non-existant now. Who would they have been servicing? How frequently do they run south of Waterbury?

PS: I apologize if this has been asked multiple times - couldn't find a thread about it.
 #1090568  by gprimr1

There's a business looks about 1-2 miles south of the station that has a siding with 3 tank cars on it in Google Maps. 408 Railroad Hill St.

There's also a place called Farrel Corp that looks like a huge factory with a railroad running right through it. Damn shame if they don't get rail service.

There's a couple other cut switches that look like they could be potential customers if Pan Am could deliver on time.
 #1090594  by TomNelligan

There's also a place called Farrel Corp that looks like a huge factory with a railroad running right through it.
The Farrel Corporation makes heavy machinery used in manufacturing operations, and it is a shadow of what it was in the 1960s. Their big headquarters plant in Ansonia was a major shipper on the New Haven, enough that the local switcher from Derby spent a couple hours there every afternoon. However they haven't shipped by rail since the 1970s and these days the type of high-value precision machinery that they make is going to ship door-to-door on a truck.
 #1090926  by Jeff Smith

I couldn't find a thread either, although I suspect it was part of a bigger thread on Waterbury, Light Rail, yada yada. But I do remember one response was that there are no active customers anymore, which lead me to the light rail conclustion (a la Northern Branch or NJT Light Rail). But if indeed this ran south, I do suppose that's somewhat good news. Thanks for the find, "Scalpels".
 #1090930  by H.F.Malone

Tank cars were most likely for Hubbard-Hall Chemical, located in south end of Waterbury. Peter Paul (candy maker) in Beacon Falls had corn sweetener shipped inbound by rail (in tank cars), but that stopped when they closed the plant about 2007.
 #1095359  by TomNelligan

The cable company is Kerite, just north of Seymour station. I don't know if they're still a rail customer, but if they are, movements are very infrequent.
 #1176932  by bwparker1

Can anyone tell me more about the Peter Paul Syrup Station? It seems like the plant itself was on the other side of the river in Naugatuck, CT, but the Syrup Station was in Beacon Falls, CT. Was the Corn Syrup piped to the plant, or was it hauled by truck?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2501262

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2500961

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2501293

Thank you.
Brooks
 #1176934  by bwparker1

I should have googled harder before asking...

http://forum.atlasrr.com/FORUM/topic.as ... C_ID=27620&

"There is a corn syrup off-loading facility in Beacon Falls, Connecticut, that would be perfect for a shelf layout. The Peter Paul Candy Company (Mounds and Almond Joy), in Naugatuck, gets it's corn syrup via tank car, but the factory is about 6 miles from the rail spur. Tank trucks run between the factory and the off-loading facility. All you would need to model this is a spur that can handle about 4 tank cars, and a small cinderblock building. The actual facility is about 30' by 50', it has 2 garage bays for the trucks to load. There ia also an area for a boiler to produce steam, in order to make the syrup flow better. Outside, there are hoses that attach to the tank cars and run to piping along the building.

I don't have pictures, but even a small pikestuff type building would be sufficient.

Eric"
 #1177651  by Ridgefielder

Backshophoss wrote:Does MNR get their Ballast from some quarry in PAR territory??
Given the color I always assumed it came from Tilcon's operation at Reed's Gap on the Air Line-- P&W territory.
 #1200439  by Plainvilletrainbuff

While in plainville today I saw what appeared to be a large spool of cable on a flat car with several tankers sitting outside the freight yard on the main line. It did not appear there was an engine hooked up to the cars. There is however three engines in the freight yard. Also this morning there was an inbound train going into the freight yard around 7:30 with rougly 8-10 full lumber cars. Does anyone know if they are just parking them in the yard or are they destine for forestville lumber. I cant imagine that forestville lumber is going through that much lumber.