Railroad Forums 

• Current Steam Shops

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#21598  by Jason W

What are the currently existing active steam shops in the US? I guess I need to add a few disclaimers, I am really looking for places that are able to totally rebuild engines. I guess that what I am looking for are best represented by these examples:

Steamtown-Large shop and repair complex, currently restoring three (possibly more) engines and keeping one operating.

Strasburg Railroad-Good sized shop and repair keeps a lot of engines moving and is restoring two. Plus, all their engines get a neat new builders plate!

Tenessee Valley-Big shop! Still restoring that S-160? Keeps several running...

The Arcade & Attica has an enginehouse, but I really don't know if it is a "shop". Does the New Hope & Ivyland have a shop? I've never been there so I can't say. How about the Grand Canyon railway? Any others? Thanks for any replies!

#21612  by steemtrayn

Durango & Silverton? Mt. Washington? Pine Creek?

#21695  by O-6-O

Jason; yes to NH&I (currently doing NdeM 3028)
OC steam.com Ohio Central
BR&W (currently doing their #60)
R&N in Port Clinton, PA. (doing their 4-6-2 ex GM&O)
Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Ill. has a number overhaules
currently going on. I'm sure there are others

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#22211  by P2c3689

UP Steam Team has their facilities that are in Wyoming. The spencer shops

Almost all tourist railroads that have steam have facilities of some sorts. You cannot run a steam locomotive for very long with out servicing facilities and a lot of tools.

Regards,
Trevor H.

#23069  by route_rock

I know New Freedom Wi has one.(I think they do overhauls and are working on their 4-6-0 right now)My line has a shop(kinda) we run a 1912 Heisler and like the man above said it takes a lot of tools.But luckily we have a easy to service backyard mechanic locomotive.

#23918  by Jason W

I guess what I am really looking for are shops with the ability to not only service but rebuilt locomotives, kind of in the same way it was "in the day". Steamtown is the best example of this in my mind although this is kind of unfair since they literally own a authentic shop (even if government funding makes it so they can only restore one per decade).
I guess the East Broad Top would also qualify if they ever had enough money to make a go of it.
 #24684  by hudsonut1

Cumbres and Toltec...Chama,NM

#25127  by creeker

Ok for one. Steamtown is not a full steam restorer. They are not aloud to do boiler work as they do not have an R stamp. Strasburg is a good one. I volunteer at NJMT and we have an R stamp so we are one. Well thats all for now.

-Eric

#25209  by belpaire

While Steamtown may not have an R stamp, there is some very impressive boiler work being done there. The K4 has had the area around the steam dome replaced as well as a large part of the firebox, both inside and out, and a large part of the mud ring and several smaller patches. The B&M Pacific has had at least large number of staybolts replaced, probably more. I am not sure if work has begun, but they also plan to replace the roof sheet on their 0-6-0 #26.

I know they brought in an outside contractor for the welding on the barrel for the repair in the dome area and the work on the PRR and B&M pacifics is not being done by Steamtown employees but I do not believe you need an R stamp for these repairs since they are on stayed portions of the boiler.

Roger
creeker wrote:Ok for one. Steamtown is not a full steam restorer. They are not aloud to do boiler work as they do not have an R stamp. Strasburg is a good one. I volunteer at NJMT and we have an R stamp so we are one. Well thats all for now.

-Eric

#25292  by creeker

Yes but that was befor the government made the R-stamp manditory. You know all those rivits that they put in the K4(over 1000). They all have to come out because of the R-stamp. I,ve talked to people that work in the boiler field and they told me this stuff so i know it is accurit. /the gov. realy cracked down on the boiler laws. Under the new code (apendics C i beleave is what it is called) anything that involves work on the pressure vessel (from the fron of the boiler to the back of the fire box) must be done by a R-stamp sertified shop. The people that they had come in were certified for that type of work. Steamtown itself is not. New Hope & Ivyland has a shop. WW&FRy museum, Alna Me has a nice shop. Grand Canyon has a very nice shop and so dose Cumbres & Toltec. The Tweetsie in NC. North Freedom and i see no one has said White Pass & Yukon in Alaska. Now not all of the places do outside work. My railroad cant right now(New Jersey Museum of Transportation, we have alot of our own work to worry about) and WW&FRy is 2ft so there isnt much they can do for outside work. O one more, Boothbay Railway village in Boothbay Me. (2ft also). Well thats all for now.

-Eric

#25445  by mc367

The Fort Wayne Railway Historical Society, operaters of the NKP 765, have one. Mt. Washington Cog has built locomotives from scratch in theirs. WW&Fry in Alna has a nice little shop which is perfect for what they need to do, I would guess that it is one of the best two foot shops in the country. In the past year they have rebuilt #10, which should be running in a few weeks. And of course WW&F #9 (SR&RL #6 to some) will be rolling in to the shop in the coming year. From what i heard its in good shape, that is for 100+ year old locomotive that has not run scince June of 1933.

Edaville Use to have quite the shop from what i've heard, with all of the tools and machines from the Brigton & Harrison. I'm Not sure if these are still there. Also there is the SR&RL Muesum in Phillips, Maine that have a 8 stall roundhouse, which they have done some nice work in, not rebuilding steam locomotives but a few cars they have up there. Still though its amazing to see a two foot gauge, 8 stall roundhouse and turn table. To bad there no steam engines to fill those stalls.

-Justin Franz

#25608  by belpaire

Eric,
Thanks for the update, I hadn't realized that the new changes made work on any part of the boiler require an R stamp. I knew that a very large number of rivets on the K4 had to be replaced but I had heard that it was from using a grade of steel that wasn't acceptable for boiler use. Of course bad info flows freely.

I am a member of the NJMT and was very happy to read that the shop had become the first volunteer organization to receive an R stamp. Well done to all involved.

Roger
creeker wrote:Yes but that was befor the government made the R-stamp manditory. You know all those rivits that they put in the K4(over 1000). They all have to come out because of the R-stamp. I,ve talked to people that work in the boiler field and they told me this stuff so i know it is accurit. /the gov. realy cracked down on the boiler laws. Under the new code (apendics C i beleave is what it is called) anything that involves work on the pressure vessel (from the fron of the boiler to the back of the fire box) must be done by a R-stamp sertified shop. The people that they had come in were certified for that type of work. Steamtown itself is not. New Hope & Ivyland has a shop. WW&FRy museum, Alna Me has a nice shop. Grand Canyon has a very nice shop and so dose Cumbres & Toltec. The Tweetsie in NC. North Freedom and i see no one has said White Pass & Yukon in Alaska. Now not all of the places do outside work. My railroad cant right now(New Jersey Museum of Transportation, we have alot of our own work to worry about) and WW&FRy is 2ft so there isnt much they can do for outside work. O one more, Boothbay Railway village in Boothbay Me. (2ft also). Well thats all for now.

-Eric

#28430  by O-6-O

Jason, check out this site as it may be what your after.
http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/r_links.html

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#28582  by westernrrtx

Nevada Northern Ely Nevada

#37607  by dreamer

Cass, West Virginia