• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by MC6853

I had the joy of shooting video of a few trains by the new 376 automatics last week or so... All I could hear the whole time I was there was that piece of metal, used to keep trespassers off the access ladder, clattering and banging in the breeze, from both the wind and from the breeze from passing trains (and yes, it could be heard even over the train noise)... Not that it was usually peaceful at that spot anyway thanks to the noise from nearby I-490, but that certainly did not help... For many years now I've shot videos from the factory parking lot there on the northwest corner of the crossing, but I'll likely go elsewhere if all you can hear is the unpleasant din of aluminum banging repeatedly...
  by sd80mac

MC6853 wrote:I had the joy of shooting video of a few trains by the new 376 automatics last week or so... All I could hear the whole time I was there was that piece of metal, used to keep trespassers off the access ladder, clattering and banging in the breeze, from both the wind and from the breeze from passing trains (and yes, it could be heard even over the train noise)... Not that it was usually peaceful at that spot anyway thanks to the noise from nearby I-490, but that certainly did not help... For many years now I've shot videos from the factory parking lot there on the northwest corner of the crossing, but I'll likely go elsewhere if all you can hear is the unpleasant din of aluminum banging repeatedly...

what about "parking spot" on south side about 1/4 mile east of crossing?
  by FarmallBob

ctclark1 wrote:Is it just a bad angle on the A376 picture that I'm not seeing the eastbound signals or are they doing something crazy here like separating the east and west signals?
Here's another angle of the new the Auto 376 masts/signals (view is looking more or less northeast from the north side of the ROW). This one clearly shows both the EB and WB heads turned toward the field.

----

Question for Nick Anshant: As there are two heads each both EB and WB, does this mean the new Auto 376 becomes the EB approach signal for CP 373 and the WB approach for CP 380? And therefore that present autos 374 and 378 are being eliminated?

...FB

by nick_anshant

FarmallBob wrote: There's actually (4) heads on each new mast. The way the heads are currently "aimed" (all look toward the field side of the ROW) the WB signal heads pretty much hide the EB heads from where I was standing.
For clarification, the signals are two heads, back-to-back, and not four heads in each direction.

ScotCP356 wrote:Does anybody knows when this year the old signals in Macedon will come down and the new signals will be online?
We will be cutting over up to and including CP 362 starting Sunday March 2.

FarmallBob wrote: Question for Nick Anshant: As there are two heads each both EB and WB, does this mean the new Auto 376 becomes the EB approach signal for CP 373 and the WB approach for CP 380? And therefore that present autos 374 and 378 are being eliminated?
No. There will be new 374, 376 and 378 intermediate signals at new locations in order to even out the block lengths. The dual heads on the non-approach signals are for Approach Limited and/or Approach Medium aspects used to slow trains down in lieu of the Advance Approach aspect.

Nick
  by FarmallBob

ctclark1 wrote: ......I guess ultimately where my question is leading is was the S-Curve a consideration in not perhaps putting a 4-track cantilever supported from, maybe, the north side of the CS and having all four signals elevated? Will the signal coming off the shore be placed in roughly the same location or moved eastward along the line to improve sight distances? .....
Earlier this week a new orange-painted mast base appeared about 50' east of the existing Westshore absolute at CP 382. So it looks like the new absolute will be mast-mounted in almost the same location.

...FB

by nick_anshant

Come on, man...

Why would you post this blatantly trespassing photo?

Nick

FarmallBob wrote: Earlier this week a new orange-painted mast base appeared about 50' east of the existing Westshore absolute at CP 382. So it looks like the new absolute will be mast-mounted in almost the same location.

...FB

by charlie6017

You can relax, Nick..........Farmall Bob is not a terrorist. He's actually a decent
person who never has a nasty word to say about anyone and treats others with respect.

Calm down, I am guessing he grabbed a shot for historical purposes. You mean you never stepped
on railroad property when you took pics or shot your videos?

No disrespect intended toward you and I appreciate your updates and information, but come on.

Charlie
  by UP4141

Good morning Nick, just out of curiosity, if a person was taking photos like this one and flying over this property with a drone so to speak would that still be considered trespassing? I would think that the air space above any railroad assets would be restricted to a certain ceiling these days.
  by sd80mac

Charlie-

Nick oversee this signal replacement project... That's why he was able to give us the updates and answers... Just dont ruin it because he could stop giving us updates and answers...
  by charlie6017

sd80mac wrote:Charlie-

Nick oversee this signal replacement project... That's why he was able to give us the updates and answers... Just dont ruin it because he could stop giving us updates and answers...
I guess you missed this last part of my post? (see below)
No disrespect intended toward you and I appreciate your updates and information, but come on.
I am well aware of these updates, as you can see. That does not give the right to make nasty remarks to people,
especially those who are equally good contributors to our community here. I believe Bob was getting a quick shot
of this to show us the progress. It's not like he was camping there!

That's all I'll say about it, I'm moving on from this.

Charlie
  by nick_anshant

charlie6017 wrote:You can relax, Nick..........Farmall Bob is not a terrorist. He's actually a decent
person who never has a nasty word to say about anyone and treats others with respect.

Calm down, I am guessing he grabbed a shot for historical purposes. You mean you never stepped
on railroad property when you took pics or shot your videos?

Charlie,

FB routinely posts photos that are quiet obviously on railroad property. I generally let them slide and don't say anything but when he stands in between two very active tracks I feel obligated to respond. This coming after he was criticized for posting images from a signal bridge earlier in this thread:
roadster wrote:FYI, they just arrested 2 people in Canada for a plot to derail a Via train between NYC and Toronto. That would be, Amtrak 63/64 on the US side. There have also been several incidents of tampering with signals and track structure in western NY. Seriously climbing those signal bridges is trespassing and may bring some serious Federal charges under the HSA. I've been quiet till now. But be warned, we have been briefed to call in any odd or suspicious activity. For your own safety, KEEP OFF RAILROAD PROPERTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want to document the signals, great. I can't control what you do and frankly, I don't care. But don't go posting photos on the web implying that it is okay for someone to walk down the right of way or between active tracks to get a close up of whatever it is they are interested in. This is not okay and can most certainly get you in trouble and/or hurt.

UP4141 wrote:Good morning Nick, just out of curiosity, if a person was taking photos like this one and flying over this property with a drone so to speak would that still be considered trespassing? I would think that the air space above any railroad assets would be restricted to a certain ceiling these days.
I don't know what rules or laws there are regarding a drone or quadcopter but I would imagine that anything near a train, train tracks or in the path of a train would almost certainly attract negative attention.

Nick
  by charlie6017

I never implied that it is okay to trespass on railroad property. In years past as a much younger person,
I admittedly have done so. In these past years, after security ramped up post-9/11 I stopped doing so. However
you answered my question to you.
You mean you never stepped on railroad property when you took pics or shot your videos?
I highly doubt you never did.

Like I said, I appreciate the updates and information you have shared. But now that you are working in
your profession, it does not make you the railroad police or Holier Than Thou. Situations like these and
paranoia from everyone within 100 feet of railroad tracks are great reasons why I essentially never sit
trackside anymore. I'm more content reading and learning about railroading's past. I don't need the nonsense.

Like I said in my last post, I'm stepping-off and moving on from this. But you never answered my question.

Charlie
  by nick_anshant

Charlie and I sorted ourselves out off list.

Moving on...

CSX is aiming to have the entire Syracuse Terminal (CP 263 to CP 296) and up to INT 374 on the Rochester cutover by the end of 2014. The Rochester side is pretty much set in stone while the Syracuse work might not get completed up to our expectations. We'll see how things go.

Nick