Railroad Forums 

• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1092936  by AMK0123

Sounds like due to all the MOW work as mentioned above they're running everything on the overnight. Due to that it sounds like most of those trains have needed recrews... Also, the train you are refering to was a recrewed Q-157 that was waiting for two s/b intermodals to take the siding in Newburgh before they start north to pick up the Q-434 waiting at CP80 and bring them up to Kingston to get a cab. I had heard the Dispatcher state that they had cabs all over the place picking and dropping off crews. Also, behind the 157 you had a recrewed Q-702 that's to follow north and a N/B Q-003 that was going to switch crews with the Q-008 in Newburgh. I also believe there is an outlawed train in Milton so that's why they were holding three in Newburgh waiting for those two priority intermodals to come south from West Park.
 #1094573  by RussNelson

Monday morning we were working on South Dock at West Point, and saw six SB trains come through, pretty much back to back. At least three of them had to hold at the signal just south of the tunnel; they were that tight together. They were all running under a slow order of some sort. First was a double-stack, then trailer train, then mixed consist, then all tank cars. I missed the fifth because I had to run to Radio Shack for some RS-232 connectors. We left just before the sixth one arrived; I could hear its horn.

Anybody know why the backlog?
 #1108971  by ChessieDave

Hello everyone. Was just wondering if the riverline was up and running again after the storm? Thinking about going up towards Iona Island tomorrow to railfan with my son.
 #1108987  by pswag115

The river line was only shutdown a few days. Many speed restrictions and lots of debris still laying around, but most of the boats have been removed from the property. :)
 #1109068  by chief

I was at a meeting 2 weeks ago and CSX is going to double track the river line from MP-87 to SK and from MP-35 to MP-41. They are getting new business to haul oil and gas.
Steve a k a Chief
 #1109686  by AMK0123

If anyone hasn't seen this on the NYS forum here's the link. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8&t=109969
It has some further info on ther river line. Also, there has been a welded rail train working in the area as of late. I have heard it on the scanner over the last week and saw it from the east side of the river last week. It looks like a GP40-2 / with a GP30 road slug. I think it's been going as the W-032.
 #1128066  by airman00

Saw the shortest train ever on the river line today going thru Harrington Park. About 2:45pm this afternoon train had 2 big road engines and only like 2-3 cars if that. I saw the power and the first car (a box car) and turned around and the train was gone. So it could've been only 1-2 cars. Maybe some sort of special extra?

In fact since I was working near the river line today saw 3 trains and they were all short.
 #1128472  by airman00

I also happen to see today one of the genset switchers go by #1319.
 #1128692  by sd80mac

mainetrain wrote:Short trains Reflection of the economy I guess

holidays... companies might be closed on monday and tues for both xmas and new year (eve including) so less shipping?

or it could be local train (dont know if there are any customers on that line)
 #1128910  by Steve F45

sd80mac wrote:
mainetrain wrote:Short trains Reflection of the economy I guess

holidays... companies might be closed on monday and tues for both xmas and new year (eve including) so less shipping?

or it could be local train (dont know if there are any customers on that line)
there are a bunch of customers north of the nj border. Couldn't also been a special delivery and power move at the same time.

Train lengths have not gotten shorter, some are getting longer.
 #1137045  by ChessieDave

Hey everyone, spent the day up at Manitou with my son. By far the best 3 hours of railfanning we have had up there in a while. Here is a video my son shot of freight on the River Line. We caught a stack train to start the day, but weren't set up yet to film. Hope everyone enjoys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeyVSY4YIac
 #1137567  by airman00

That is great news!! I go by the river line in harrington park all the time as I travel though there frequently. It'll be cool to see it double tracked once again! :)