• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by airman00

I saw a CSX mow crew working in Harrington Park, NJ today. Looked to me like it was related to the big double-tracking project.
  by charlie6017

Thanks Waldwick!

A number of years ago, Pentrex put out a video called "Conrail Hot Spots" and their version of the eastern part of
Conrail's system had "CP-5" as one of the spots to sit and watch action. Are there still quite a few people that gather
there, or has the paranoia since 9/11 sort of ruined that? If I ever had the opportunity, that's one place I would choose
to visit and take some shots.

Just a curiosity.....thanks!

Charlie
  by waldwickrailfan

charlie6017 wrote:Thanks Waldwick!

A number of years ago, Pentrex put out a video called "Conrail Hot Spots" and their version of the eastern part of
Conrail's system had "CP-5" as one of the spots to sit and watch action. Are there still quite a few people that gather
there, or has the paranoia since 9/11 sort of ruined that? If I ever had the opportunity, that's one place I would choose
to visit and take some shots.

Just a curiosity.....thanks!

Charlie
There is always a ton of people on Saturdays there, last weekend there was upwards of 30 there! lol, thats why i went to CP7 with one of my friends, you cant get a good shot with a billion people at CP5, but CP7 theres nobody but the shots actually come out great! Here's the link to my video from Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhaVeZaa05Q
  by charlie6017

Thanks for the info, glad it's still a well frequented location........nice video, too! :-)

Charlie
  by mainetrain

airman00 wrote:I saw a CSX mow crew working in Harrington Park, NJ today. Looked to me like it was related to the big double-tracking project.
There was a backhoe and a short section of track alongside the main, just north of the Harriott Ave crossing today.
  by airman00

mainetrain wrote:
airman00 wrote:I saw a CSX mow crew working in Harrington Park, NJ today. Looked to me like it was related to the big double-tracking project.
There was a backhoe and a short section of track alongside the main, just north of the Harriott Ave crossing today.
I didn't see the backhoe but did see the track by Harriot Ave, along with some ties laid out and rails alongside the ties, by the Lafayette Road crossing as well. I guess this area will be double tracked too. I also noticed they have begun making clearence along what was the former 2nd track row. By that I mean grading out the land, clearing brush, spreading out a big load of stones, etc. Should be real interesting! :)
  by mainetrain

I didn't hear anything about this area being double tracked. I was thinking they were replacing the crossing tracks.
  by airman00

mainetrain wrote:I didn't hear anything about this area being double tracked. I was thinking they were replacing the crossing tracks.
It appears to me that between Harriot ave (in harrington park, NJ for those who don't know the area) and Lafayette road, there is the laying down of a second track. I could be wrong though. Perhaps someone with more info could shed some light on this. But it really looks like ROW work being done on what was the former 2nd track.
  by Steve F45

What is the distance between those crossings? I've never heard of any new double track in nj, just in ny state. Maybe they are clearing the area for a work area. They did have a lot of track damage in that area last week from a wheel breaking and then when the train stopped it derailed a few trucks when they tried to break the train to clear the crossings.
  by mainetrain

The LaRoche, Harriot, and Lafayette crossings are very close to one another. When a train is traveling at track speed, the 12 blasts of the horn morph into one long song. Thanks for the heads up Airman I'll snap some pics as work progresses.
  by airman00

Steve F45 wrote:What is the distance between those crossings? I've never heard of any new double track in nj, just in ny state. Maybe they are clearing the area for a work area. They did have a lot of track damage in that area last week from a wheel breaking and then when the train stopped it derailed a few trucks when they tried to break the train to clear the crossings.
I didn't know about that incident, but the other day I saw trains basically blasting right thru. And these ties by layfayette ave were laid out almost like there building a second track. There was like 15 or so ties laid out. By harriot ave, a short section of what looks like pre-fab track is there. And again it does look like some leveling out of the land has taken place along the former 2nd track row.
  by airman00

I went by the area in question today, and those 15+ ties laid out like I mentioned by Lafayette ave are definately laid out like a 2nd track. I'm convinced of that. The reason is they are laid out more precisely. If they were just placed there or laid out for a tie replacement project, they wouldn't be laid out precisely like a 2nd track. :)
  by Steve F45

They might be making one long section of panel track to move into placement on the main line. The damage to track was in the area of mp16 which is around where your talking about.
  by waldwickrailfan

The ties laid out in the MP16 area are for replacing the track some train (Q434 i think) derailed on recently, they can't put in a second track because they sold the land to towns along the line to build businesses and houses, therefore they can't build a second track down here, at least in between CP10 and CP22
  by mainetrain

There is a short piece of track near each HP crossing. Saw the same backhoe and a short piece of track at the Norwood Broadway crossing. Most if not all of these crossings have a pile of ballast nearby. I didn't go by Blanche ave but wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.