Railroad Forums 

• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1246928  by TotalLamer

jheitz wrote:Also, something to remember is the REDI is an idealized environment, with the "CSX Best Practices," but may not be how things are done out at your terminals when you get there. I've had to undo things I learned there because of the way my terminal runs, and each terminal seems to be a little different....just some gee-whiz information about CSX before you get to school.
No doubt.

For example, they still teach you how to kick cars at REDI... but we're not allowed to in Charlotte.
 #1247049  by d0c69

Reporting to REDI on 3/3 from Philly, is anyone else?
For those who have been or still there is there anything you wish you packed that you didn't? Or ended up buying while you were there?
How big of a grip would you recommend?
Unrelated to school, from watching the news I see Atlanta really got hit the other day from snow/ice was it really as bad as they made it out to be? I know how the news likes to make things bigger then they are.

Hope all is well, stay safe!!!!
 #1247606  by peterbilt22

d0c69 wrote:Reporting to REDI on 3/3 from Philly, is anyone else?
For those who have beenThanksor still there is there anything you wish you packed that you didn't? Or ended up buying while you were there?
Unrelated to school, from watching the news I see Atlanta really got hit the other day from snow/ice was it really as bad as they made it out to be? I know how the news likes to make things bigger then they are.

congrats. .how long was your app in "application received" status. mine like this since 1/5.t
 #1247614  by d0c69

It varied throughout all my applications it was weeks even months. This one that I finally made it through was months before I even made it to the hiring session. I know its hard but you need to be patient. I've even seen the job re-posted or other jobs posted and put in another application. They move at there own pace there is no telling sorry.
 #1247616  by peterbilt22

d0c69 wrote:It varied throughout all my applications it was weeks even months. This one that I finally made it through was months before I even made it to the hiring session. I know its hard but you need to be patient. I've even seen the job re-posted or other jobs posted and put in another application. They move at there own pace there is no telling sorry.
its funny how it works..I applied for trackworker and 3 days later I got the dreaded we dnt need you email. Lol. Frm what I been reading on here work usually picks up around march so maybe I will hear something soon.. keep us posted on your journey
 #1247880  by Aspiring Conductor

For those who have been or still there is there anything you wish you packed that you didn't? Or ended up buying while you were there?

Doc;

Which position did you get hired for with CSX Transportation? The reason I'm inquiring is because I received my email on January 8th, stating that I had passed all the Onboarding Tasks and was awaiting a Class Date at the REDI Center. Of course it went on to claim that if I hadn't heard back from CSX Transportation in 90 days, to telephone them for further instruction. Best Regards to you on your hire/class start date at the REDI Center.
 #1248013  by Aspiring Conductor

d0c69 wrote:Conductor
Doc;

I'm very happy that you received your Class Start Date for the REDI Center for the March 3, 2014. You have your class start date that that's what matters more than anything else in the world at this junction in time. For myself, I too was interviewed, processed for and now awaiting my Class Start Date for Conductor. I emailed Jacksonville last week inquiring into when the possibility of a class date might be happening, and was informed that it could be March 24, 2014. I certainly hope that the class start date would be faster, but then what can you do? Again best regards to you and nothing but success at the REDI Center.
 #1248659  by joshua35

I am waiting on the call for my date at the REDI CENTER. They said projected date was around March 24th. Any pointers from people with experience?
THANKS
 #1248813  by 502ConductorBBN

I called last week and was told March 24th also and to just watch my emails around the end of February for the actual email. I am coming from Louisville, Ky. Big Blue Nation
 #1249063  by Jdodge70

Hi i am also going to REDI 3/3 Philly .
 #1249977  by supernova1972

I was down at REDI for Yardmaster school during the snow storm. It was as bad or even worse than the news made it seem. Not because of the weather, but because of the idiot drivers down there. We stayed about 6 miles from the REDI and it took us 4 hours to get home, only because we convinced the driver to take a back road. Everywhere was basically one lane with cars abandoned facing every direction all over the roads.
 #1250870  by supernova1972

New guys, it's not the REDI center. It's the REDI. Railroad Education and Development Institute. Not Institute Center. Save yourself some jokes from instructors and stop calling it that before you get there.
 #1251717  by d0c69

Looking for reviews.... I'm staying at the Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Perimeter - Crestline I've read mixed reviews I'd like to hear from people who have just stayed or still there. Not that I can do anything about it but I'd kinda like to know some straight up reviews I take the ones from travel site with a grain of salt.
How close to grocery store(s)? Walking distance?
How close to regular store(s)? In case I forget something or need to pick something up, walking distance?
Does the hotel have a shuttle service to take you shopping if places aren't within walking distance?
How close to take-out?
Is there any good take-out? Delivery?
I am there to learn but I'm sure I'll need to relax here an there on a weekend or two at some point is there a good sports bar? Wing joint? A place to grab a beer or two to unwind? (Please save the lectures about no partying, if your interested in things other then studying bla, bla, bla save it everyone needs to unwind here and there. I'm not looking to party just to relax a couple hours here and there on a weekend.)
Does REDI have a company store? sweatshirt(s) T's whatever

Thank you!!!!