Railroad Forums 

• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1266428  by csxchi

Hows the training going at the REDI guys? I read that they provide classes to obtain your cdl permit. Anyone have any info on that? Any word on when the next training class starts down there? Sorry for all the questions lol. Just anxious to get out there and begin this new stage of life.
 #1269397  by kvftw

A new class has started every Monday since I've been here. It's not hard, just retain all the info you learn in class. I go home Friday, can't wait to get out of here
 #1280924  by railroadhopeful14

Anyone around here going to REDI in early August? I just finished all of my Medical stuff, and have to Call Karen Hill in the morning to get my exact date. I was told that August the 4th was a possible date for me.
 #1287021  by fatmatt129

Is anyone hiring on out of Selkirk,NY for Carman. All testing done just waiting for REDI date. Is anyone on here from the same? Has anyone got a start date for carman?
 #1287649  by Cummins12

Just got the call yesterday for REDI,anyone else going down 9/8/14? I got hired for welder helper positiion out of Pittsburgh, PA. I really don't know what to expect as far as training goes, researched it and haven't found any results. What should I expect at REDI? Will I get paid while down at REDI? How soon will I start working once I complete the training? Sorry for the questions just both excited and concerned, any input would be appreciated!
 #1287883  by mikeval

I received my call Tuesday My start date got moved up to sept.8 from Oct.20. For a carman position out of Toledo Ohio. Just wondering when and how much we get paid when we are down at the redi center for 5 weeks. I have been searching and searching for days and found no recent info. Also what kind of info do we go over for a carman.
 #1288402  by RDC22

I'll be there Sept. 15th for a freight conductor position
 #1290002  by fatmatt129

Got the call yesterday. Officially hired. Start REDI on Oct. 20. Carmen out of Selkirk,NY. Anyone else headed down at the same time for same craft? Also anyone on coming out of NY.
 #1290411  by zombie-dust

Start REDI sept 22nd ill be stationed out of Garrett IN. Been officially hired for about two weeks now. Im really excited and nervous at the same time. Looking for input from people who have made it thru and also anybody with the same start date. Ive read horror stories on here as well as people saying it isn't so bad, so I don't know what to believe. Im just curious what it is like down there and if there is any way I can prepare my self for the class, like study material, or in any other aspect. I was also wondering where they usually house people down there and what the rooms are like, I have not received my reporting instructions yet. I was also told I was the first one to get all tests done and I was the first one hired in my class. I of course don't know how true this is, and was wondering if it any weight or determination of my seniority, or had anything to do with what shift at REDI I would be on. What is the best and worst part of this experience?
 #1290583  by eslfc1

I'll be starting the same day as you. I've spoken to someone that is down there right now. You get put up in one of a few different extended stay hotels that are pretty close to each other and you get your own room. It seems that if you apply yourself by paying attentions, studying, and doing any other work that you will be fine. From what I've read it seems that the people who don't take it seriously and screw around, go out to the bars every night instead of studying etc.. are the ones that fail out.

I wouldn't look at anything before going down there so you don't confuse yourself, or learn the wrong material. Remember, plenty of people have completed that training before you.

I'm pretty sure everyone starts out on first shift their first week, then after that you could be on second or third. Seniority goes by Age, and I'm not sure if being down there earlier than others from your location affects it or not, I don't think it does. Im not really sure, but I believe it goes by age of everyone that got hired at the same time as you, even if they may not be at the REDI center at the same exact time.

I was told that I would receive the information from the REDI center the week of September 8, I'm sure you probably heard the same thing?
 #1290662  by urmomsman

Are there any baltimore division hires in the 9/22 class? My friend was given a tentative start date of 9/22 but hasn't heard anything else.
 #1290673  by zombie-dust

Yea....somewhere in there. I thought she told me the fifth, but that might be right. I was gonna call her at the end of the week if I didnt hear anything but now ill wait after hearing that. Im coming from indiana, I wanted to drive because everybody I know that went thru this program either drove or wish they did. Unfortunately it looks like ill be flying. Being without a vehicle for six weeks seems like a bit if a pain. It makes something like getting groceries or for me going to the gym in my spare time a bit of a pain. Never been to atlanta so this should be interesting. For anybody that wants to do a study group or something let me know if your interested.
 #1290985  by Murphyhead

I'll be down there on 9/22 for a conductor position out of Baltimore. Anybody from this start date get their travel packet? Hopefully soon, I wanna get moving.
 #1291069  by mikeval

mikeval wrote:I received my call Tuesday My start date got moved up to sept.8 from Oct.20. For a carman position out of Toledo Ohio. Just wondering when and how much we get paid when we are down at the redi center for 5 weeks. I have been searching and searching for days and found no recent info. Also what kind of info do we go over for a carman.
I will be at the redi sept 8 is there anyone that wants to start a study group let me know I read that's the best way to pass down there.