Railroad Forums 

• CSX next Penn Central?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#458225  by scharnhorst

lakeshoredave wrote:CSX should have sold the ex CR territory to the UP....it would have made sense.
One thought that was taken up before the CR split was CSX, NS and CN were all going to put bids in and spit Conrail up 3 ways. CN wanted the Water Level Route becouse it would give them a route to New York City and also to compete with CP Rail. NS and CSX were going to take the rest of Conrail for them selves. In most ways CN has taken over most of the Big Class 2's in the area along the Water Lavel Route in PA, OH, IN and IL by now and have a way to New York by way of trackage rights on former CR trackage.
 #458985  by walt

conrail6479 wrote:is csx turning into another PENNCENTERAL?? with these derailments i looks like it but time will tell.
Regardless of what ultimately happens with CSX, it could never be another Penn Central. What made the PC failure so notworthy, aside from the size of the failed corporation was the fact that the PC only lasted 18 months. CSX is way ahead of that, in spite of its inadequacies.

#459314  by roadster

Hey Charlie, me thinks it's time!

#459358  by charlie6017

roadster wrote:Hey Charlie, me thinks it's time!
Yeah--me too, Roadster.

Walt made a good point a couple posts ago and I am in agreeance with him--there are a few similarities, but broad differences.