Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boston Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#402023  by lakeshoredave

What is everyone's take on this route? Freight wise, it seems like it really never lived up to the volume that one would expect it to have. We all know it will be that colorful due to the cab signals, but if they had good clearances all the way to Boston, you would see more traffic I think.

Lakeshore out

#402064  by johnpbarlow

The B&A is cleared for double stacks all the way east to Worcester, 44 miles from Boston and is cleared for multi-levels to Framingham, 21 miles from Boston. The port of Boston is distinctly a 2nd tier port so the opportunity to ship more containers via Boston is small, at best. CSX has done a pretty good job of developing traffic on the SE Mass branch lines since the break up of Conrail. Traffic to PanAm via Worcester dropped by one train pair with NS enhancing service via Mechanicville. Also,CSX added a Jax-Boston intermodal that drops a fair # of cars at Worcester. The Worcester intermodal yard is quite congested most days. Other than domestic intermodal, I don't know what other traffic CSX could grow. Gahbage maybe?

#402118  by CSX Conductor

No intermodal to the ports because no connection and even where there's rail to port potential CSXT would have to go over foreign lines (MBCR & Amtrak).

Yes, garbage is big business for us too.

#402515  by roberttosh

Saying the port of Boston faces an uphil struggle in regards to becoming a major player in the container trade business would be a monumental understatement!! For starters, there is just not nearly enough available land for the type of major expansion that would be required - whether it be for conatiner storage, rail infrastructutre & support or ship berths; then throw in sky-high Union labor costs, shallow ship channels and no hope of direct/cleared rail access and you can see why it is a hopeless situation. That being said, I think CSXT runs a pretty good operation on the B&A considering what's up for grabs as far as business. They run a couple Auto trains each way, 5 or so Intermodals each way and 5 manifests each way. Remember, this is more or less a dead end line and New England isn't exactly the manufacturing powerhouse that it was 100 years ago, so CSXT more or less brings consumer goods in and Waste out. On a positive note, look for Unit Ethanol trains to begin running over the B&A within a few weeks, which will add a totally new dimension to the line.

#402896  by calaisbranch

When you realize that manifests still narrowly outnumber pigs and double-stacks on a line known for its intermodal prowess, I think that's pretty damn cool in this era! Throw in those four multi-level autorack jobs plus locals and Amtraks, and a day spent out on the line doesn't seem too shabby for a "dead-end" mainline! You look at the Guilford/Pan Am situtation, and it doesn't appear that they will be pulling anymore stuff off the B&A anytime soon unless NS or someone else offers them some kind of outrageous deal. The PAR mainline sucks in comparison to the B&A. As far as the lack of great power on the CSX Boston Line, thank the cab signals for that one. It can still be quite awesome catching a brace of new locos on their knees out in Chester with a heavy Q425! Then there are those 100+car Q283s through Middlefield at 5-10mph with conventional cab leaders. I depends how you look at it! :-)

J Bray

#411969  by cpf354

calaisbranch wrote:When you realize that manifests still narrowly outnumber pigs and double-stacks on a line known for its intermodal prowess, I think that's pretty damn cool in this era! Throw in those four multi-level autorack jobs plus locals and Amtraks, and a day spent out on the line doesn't seem too shabby for a "dead-end" mainline! You look at the Guilford/Pan Am situtation, and it doesn't appear that they will be pulling anymore stuff off the B&A anytime soon unless NS or someone else offers them some kind of outrageous deal. The PAR mainline sucks in comparison to the B&A. As far as the lack of great power on the CSX Boston Line, thank the cab signals for that one. It can still be quite awesome catching a brace of new locos on their knees out in Chester with a heavy Q425! Then there are those 100+car Q283s through Middlefield at 5-10mph with conventional cab leaders. I depends how you look at it! :-)

J Bray
Without a doubt CSX is the one and only major railroad operation in New England, hands down. There isn't a Class 1 main line north of the B&A until you get to the CN in Quebec and New Brunswick. Of course the one impediment the B&A has always faced is the rugged terrain the railroad has to deal with, especially in the Berkshires. When they were handling the Guilford traffic, for example, they had to eventually refuse the coal traffic. Eventually some traffic was deliberately diverted to Rotterdam Jct and Guilford by Conrail and then CSX. I would guess that CSX probably believes the line is operating at maximum capacity.

#411989  by Orgnoi1

*From a railroad photographers standpoint*

I spend quite a large chunk of time on the B&A as its fairly close to where I live. Its a well used line with a TON of photo opportunities. Granted I dont go to Boston... but the area I can be found runs the gammit from Selkirk to Westfield. I have always found the crews to be friendly to railfans and even the occasional trackcar always gets a wave. Aside from sunday and monday you can expect to see anywhere from 5-15 trains over a period of daylight and thats not terribly shabby considering where you are.

#412147  by rb

Unit ethanol? Where to?

#412250  by roberttosh

To the Motiva Termial at Providence. Look for a train by early July.

#412877  by paulrail

What route will the ethanol trains take to South Providence ?.... CSX to Worcester and then P&W to Providence ?

:-) Paul

#413364  by roberttosh

Yup, I believe for now it's going to move over CSXT. Obviously that could change down the road depending upon suppliers. Went and checked out the facility (from public roads of course) on the way to Newport last weekend and can't believe the amount of track that has been built down there to support this operation. The unloading system looks impressive too. Am hearing this facility could be as busy as Motiva's NS served Sewaren, NJ terminal which gets a few trains per week!
 #413756  by frrc

I find the comment in one of the local papers about "The track improvements on the Boston line will only benefit freight trains and no passenger trains" rather interesting.
 #417790  by Pat Fahey

Hi all

I have a question on track work on CSX,,yesterday going too Boston,,I did

notice the track work going on,,on track ! & 2,,,with tie replacement,,but

what got my attention,,was this,,,the tie,,painted white,,and side

of the rail,,was painted the same,,only the width of the tie,, some within a mile,,others closer...

What does the white tie & rail mean????? thank you,,Pat.

#418070  by CSX Conductor

I believe they are to mark where a water-line or pipe runs beneath the tracks.

#438394  by NaDspr

CSX Conductor, you're right, the white ties mark the location of culvert pipes. This was something CSX did down south and now it's made it's way north. A good idea, I think.