Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1562055  by Tanker1497

R&DB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:56 pm This discussion reminds me of a family in the 80s who bought a house in Bay Head and complained about the engines idling in the yard at 6 am. The yard had been there longer than the house they bought.
But in Bay Head they won. NJT was requiredto put very cost engine heaters electric at every track in the loop!
 #1562061  by Bracdude181

Went to Sayerville and saw that 4451 and 5628 are gone, and so are the cars for the Southern that were there yesterday. Looked around for a train and couldn’t find one. No sign of activity at Church Running Track....
 #1562066  by Bracdude181

Coast Line Dispatch is holding up SA31 at the Church Running Track. Nothing from Dispatch on why they are being held up...

Edit: Starting to wonder if Dispatch forgot they are here. They were pretty occupied with 3256 which had a major breakdown earlier...
 #1562067  by JSX331

How long does he take to get from South Amboy to Red Bank? Red Bank to Farmingdale? I'm new to the area and new to chasing this train. Thanks for any info.
 #1562068  by CSX4421

JSX331 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:23 pm How long does he take to get from South Amboy to Red Bank? Red Bank to Farmingdale? I'm new to the area and new to chasing this train. Thanks for any info.
Depends on when coast line dispatch gives them permission to come down. Usually takes them a little over an hour to get to red bank, probably about 2-3 hours to get from red bank to farmingdale depending on how fast they go (usually not over 10 MPH)
 #1562070  by RailsEast

Welcome, JSX.... it's 'usually' 35 minutes from "lined & locked" at South Amboy to Red Bank, unless they get held somewhere along the way. It's rare, but it happens. Also, 'usually' 70-90 minutes from Red Bank to Farmingdale (MP 38 to MP 50 @ 10 mph on the Southern).
They will 'normally' hit Red Bank at about 4:15ish in the pm; today is one of those days when it looks like issues on NJT have figured into the mix (trouble with NJT 3256, and just now a bridge strike at Laurel Ave in Holmdel).

They are lined & locked at South Amboy today at 4:44 in the pm.

Chris
 #1562071  by JSX331

Thank you for the info. Is there anything in particular to listen for on the radio when he goes by Red Bank? Are there ideal spots to catch him between Red Bank and Farmingdale?
 #1562073  by CSX4421

I’m not sure about the radio. However there are a good amount of spots that are worth going to. A couple to take note of are at Asbury Road, Megill Road, and Old Tavern Road . All of them are decently close to Farmingdale if your looking for a good spot to catch him at. Google maps is also a good way to find places.
Good luck with the chase
 #1562074  by Bracdude181

Phone had a problem and did not type my post when I tried to say they were lined and locked normal at 4:44 PM

Train is approaching Red Bank now and will be getting off the Coast Line shortly.
 #1562078  by RailsEast

JSX, listen for "Clear on the Southern" or "Clear of the rusty rail on the Southern" from the SA-31 train crew on NJT 161.235Mhz. Today they are clear at 5:27 in the pm.