• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CTL10D

Hey guys-

If the 4412 was sitting alone by Cumbys, they probably cut off the cars south of Farmingdale where the Farmingdale siding used to be, and ran the engine up to town to get food. The crews commonly do this on the Northbound run. They then run back and pick up the rest of the train and head North.
Steven, wasnt the 4412 one of the "usual suspects" from the SA-35 days? lol :wink: Take care -Chris

by Azervas

Dunno, I took a look down the track and dint see the rest of the cars. Usually they leave them a little ways ahead of the maril pit.

by OCtrainguy

Chris, you are currect. A friend of mine dubbed them the "usual suspects" after seeing them on the SA35 so often. And the SA35 usually had a pair of engines.

They include the following CSX units:

by CTL10D

Hi guys-

Some news and happenings from the Southern end of the line..........Only one of the NJT coaches remains inside the fence to the Lakehurst Navy base. One must have already been moved by truck I suppose. Also, at the end of the line in Lakehurst, it appears the town is constructing a new sidewalk and parking lot on railroad avenue directly next to the tracks. This lot is where the sidings once were. Will be looking for a train today. Take care guys -Chris

by OCtrainguy

CTL10D wrote:Hi guys-Some news and happenings from the Southern end of the line..........Only one of the NJT coaches remains inside the fence to the Lakehurst Navy base. One must have already been moved by truck I suppose. Also, at the end of the line in Lakehurst, it appears the town is constructing a new sidewalk and parking lot on railroad avenue directly next to the tracks. This lot is where the sidings once were. Will be looking for a train today. Take care guys -Chris
Chris, I drove past the naval base yesterday and noticed a pair of trucks where one of the coaches was. The other coach was moved closer to the gate.

With respect to Lakehurst, I noticed last week that it appears that they are putting in sidewalks on both sides of Railroad Avenue. Didn't know about the parking though.

Okay, I went looking for the SA31 on my way home from Howell last night. I got to DiNaso's around 5:30 p.m. and noticed two or three empty centerbeams on their siding and two boxcars on the runaround. So I don't know if they were running or not on the Southern yesterday. If not, that'll be three straight Sundays. With the sun setting before I leave work, I was hoping for Sundays.

Finally, there are two more engines I forgot to add to the "usual suspects" list. CSX GP38-2s 2740 & 2746. They are the next rung after the engines I previously listed.

by CTL10D

Hi guys-

Found the SA-31 sitting by Cumberland farms in Farmingdale tonight. However, the engine (NS GP38-2 5280) was shut down and there was no sign of the crew. This was around 7:30pm. My best guess would be they switched Golds, and then tied up for the night, and will run South tomorow. Yeah this sucks that they ahvent been running Sundays. Its the one day of the week I actually have time to see the train. :( Take care guys- Chris

by nick11a

CTL10D wrote:Hi guys-

Found the SA-31 sitting by Cumberland farms in Farmingdale tonight. However, the engine (NS GP38-2 5280) was shut down and there was no sign of the crew. This was around 7:30pm. My best guess would be they switched Golds, and then tied up for the night, and will run South tomorow. Yeah this sucks that they ahvent been running Sundays. Its the one day of the week I actually have time to see the train. :( Take care guys- Chris
Huh. 5280. I got REAL tired of seeing that engine on LI26 last year. Was happy to see it go out of Metuchen and Linden and to Port Reading and Browns. You can keep it! :-)

by Jtgshu

I heard Coast Line talking to an "SA-3" train - i dunno where they were or what they were doing, but i never heard that designation before

by OCtrainguy

nick11a wrote:Huh. 5280. I got REAL tired of seeing that engine on LI26 last year. Was happy to see it go out of Metuchen and Linden and to Port Reading and Browns. You can keep it! :-)
Nick, now you know how some of us here on the ol' Southern Secondary feel about the usual CSX suspects. :-D

I went to Farmingdale this morning as the SA31 was still were Chris saw it last night, next to the Cumberland Farms. I got an inquisitive look from the crossing guard there as I snapped a few photos of the train. Looks like they have about 12 cars with the 5280 and are headed south. So there should be a Lakehurst bound train on the Southern Secondary this afternoon. I'm at work, so I won't be able to see it this afternoon. :(

by wolfboy8171981

Due to Crew availabilty The JR-2 took the train from Browns to Farmingdale. The SA-3 took the Jr-2's power back from Browns to Port Reading. The SA-3 is the yard drill in Browns.

by OCtrainguy

Well, since the skies here broke and the sun came out, I left the office for lunch. My plan was to see the SA31 in Farmingdale. However, it didn't work out. The train was gone by 1:30 p.m. and they weren't drilling Gold Lumber either.

Took a quick drive down to Lakewood, but no sign of the train. I left there about 1:50 p.m. to head back to work. I was ten minutes late. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles....

by Jtgshu

I went the other way and enjoyed the sun by taking a motorcycle ride past Browns Yard - LOTS of cars up there, and 2 "PanAm" boxcars, and they have MEC and i think the other was B and M reporting marks, but the one car said "PanAm Railways"

I thought that was very interesting.......good to see lots of cars up there, didnt' catch any trains while I was out, but ya can't win them all!

by gravelyfan

Just heard SA31 on the radio talking to Coast Line; sounds like he is arriving in South Amboy at 915 pm.

by CTL10D

Hi guys-

Caught the SA-31 tonight by DiNaso in Lakewood. Power was CSX GP40-2 4412, with about 10 cars. Not sure if theyre staying in Lakehurst tonight. Also, as I passed thru Farmingdale on the way home, the gates on main street were still down. (and the train was already in Lakewood). Nothin like a crossing malfunction to cause some good ol` traffic chaos. lol Take care. -Chris

by OCtrainguy

The SA31 was laying over in Lakehurst as of eight o'clock this morning. Good ol' CSX GP40-2 4412 with nine cars. I did get a look at the curbing and parking area being put in on Railroad Avenue. Soon, it will be hard to believe that four tracks were once there. Only two now.

Perhaps this is the beginning design of the new Lakehurst train station for the MOM line?
:-)