• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jtgshu

I think it was referred to as SA22, but a freight headed east from Bank at about 1150pm tonight, 10/20.

3021 with 15-17 cars - couldn't get a count as my train passed

by CTL10D

Hi guys-

Wow this thread got pretty quiet. For anyone interested in chasing it, the SA-31 probably will run tomorow. Everything at DiNaso and Woodhaven are empty. The train has usually been entering the Southern around 4pm-ish and wrapping up for the night in Lakehurst around 9pm-ish, with a stop in Farmingdale around 6:30pm-ish. Yes, everything is "ish", because as we all know, the SA-31 has a habit of popping up anywhere at anytime. Take care guys. -Chris

by sixty-six

I was thinking the same. Rode by DiNaso, err, nick's stop :P today, lots of empties.

by OCtrainguy

CTL10D wrote:Hi guys- Wow this thread got pretty quiet. For anyone interested in chasing it, the SA-31 probably will run tomorow. -Chris
Chris, historically this topic has gotten a few quiet times or "valleys" in its lifespan. As for myself, I was away on vacation last week and did not have internet access. I did check by DiNaso and Woodhaven this morning and they both still had empties. So perhaps they are running tonight or will run tomorrow.

by Azervas

Train came through Farmingdale around 4. CSX # 4450

by OCtrainguy

Well, I'm not sure how far north they made it, but they did get north of DiNaso. There were two loaded centerbeams at DiNaso this morning when I drove past there.

by Azervas

I dont know, I heard them come back through around 11:30pm or so, and they were not at Collingswood 8 this morning.

by Jtgshu

They ran LATE last night east - I heard coast line saying that she had problems with the switch at Church, which didn't quite make any sense, because its a hand operated electric lock switch, but they were on track 4 for a while, and she had to route the east and westbounds around on 1, I guess they were fouling track 2 at Rare.

by hsr_fan

What is the longest freight train you're likely to see on the NJ Transit Coast Line? Usually the longest I see is maybe a dozen cars or less. However, way back in the early 90's I was at the Hazlet train station when an extremely long freight train came through, heading down toward Red Bank or wherever it was going. This thing must've had 100 cars! It looked like a freight train you'd expect to see on the CSX River Line or something. It looked like a coal train, but I can't imagine what that would be doing there, so maybe it was just a really long ballast train!

by wolfboy8171981

The longest local freight I've taken down to the Southern was just over 30 cars, maybe like 32, back when we were still doing the dirt it was normal to take 14 emptys plus the regular work. 10 Woodhavens 3 Dinaso's 3 Golds 1 Us Component and 1 84 lumber. The longest train i took was from Oak Island it was 30 cars of explosives and 5 cover cars- 35 cars for Earle.

by Azervas

Train ran yesterday (thursday), came through Farmingdale around 3:45. CSX 4415

by OCtrainguy

Okay, so they ran down the line on Tuesday and Thursday. I'll admit that I wasn't expecting a run yesterday. Hopefully, they'll run on Sunday.

The longest train that I have personally seen on the Southern Secondary was between 22-25 cars. That was with the SA35 and PolyOne was still open. I've heard about some of the trains going into/out of Earle.

I've also seen the SA31 with 17-20 cars a few times as well.

by CTL10D

Hi Guys-

As I now work a new job in Plainfield, I usually dont get home now until around 8pm, so I need you guys to keep me posted on where the train is so i can find it. :wink: The longest train Ive seen on the Southern was back in January of this year. I watched it head North through Farmingdale and was astonished that the train just kept going. I counted in Lakewood they had 31 cars with them. By the way, does anybody know what happened to the rumor of sand trains being worked out of Heritage Minerals south of Lakehurst? I was really looking foward to seeing a 60 car sand train roll thru Lakehurst. Take care guys. -Chris

by Azervas

Ok, so the train ran yesterday. CSX # 4412. Then today, im home and hear it again. Go down to check things out and see the same 4412 sitting by Cumberland in Farmingdale, but with no cars. So....must be some cars sitting at Lakehurst then eh?

by OCtrainguy

CTL10D wrote:Hi Guys-
As I now work a new job in Plainfield, I usually dont get home now until around 8pm, so I need you guys to keep me posted on where the train is so i can find it. Take care guys. -Chris
Chris, I also usually look for the postings here to see when (and if) a train is running. While I work in Ocean County, rolling the dice and going through Lakewood would put me into traffic I'd rather not deal with unless I knew a train was running.

Looks like the SA31 is running down the Southern Secondary during the week recently. I'm hoping for a Sunday run.

I've seen the SA35 run down the Southern and return to Browns Yard the same day, then run down the Southern again the next day. It was quite interesting the first time as I was in Farmingdale looking up the tracks and the train came from the opposite direction.