• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NY&LB

Train is headed WEST on the line through Eatontown right now (3:39PM), had my office window open and just heard the horn blow for the crossings.
Perhaps someone down the line can get a car count/etc. May be a long train since it's been quite a few days since one ran.

by General

SA31 is heading towards Lakewood right now.

by OCtrainguy

Based on the previous two posts, I went looking for the SA31 this morning. My wild goose chase started in Lakehurst and ended in Lakewood with no sign of the train. At a quick glance, it looks like Woodhaven has at least a loaded centerbeam on their siding. There are no cars at DiNaso, just plenty of water around the tracks. So, it looks like the SA31 made in north of Lakewood last night. Just don't know how far north. It also looks like the Sunday run on the Southern Secondary has stopped for now as well. It’s been about four weeks now. The Tuesday run down the line seems to be the recent pattern.

by NY&LB

A SUNDAY RUN! SA 31 ran last night, I heard the train when I was putting out the garbage at 6:20 PM last night here in Eatontown.

by OCtrainguy

I drove through Lakehurst this morning, but didn't see the SA31 down there. So, I'm sure how far they got last night. Was hoping to see them as there is still some snow on the ground in Lakehurst.

by General

There was no sign of a train at Collingswood Auction early this morning. There was still ice and snow covering the rails at the Asbury Ave grade crossing and the two empty box cars at Gold Lumber are still there.

by wolfboy8171981

Must have heard NJT no run was made on Sunday, in fact the SA-31 was annuled account no engineer. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

by Jtgshu

SA31 will be heading down in a few minutes from South Amboy - couldn't hear a carcount, but will be at South Amboy at the Church switch on 4 in a few minutes

by OCtrainguy

If anyone sees the SA31 on the ol' Southern Secondary tonight, please post it. The engine the SA31 is using may be of one the engines used for the Santa Train this Saturday.

by MJW

It was CSX but I did not see which one.

by OCtrainguy

The SA31 is currently laying over off of Summer Avenue in Lakewood. Motive power is CSX GP40-2 4412 and they have five cars.

by CTL10D

Hi guys-

Caught the SA-31 in Farmingdale last night as they prepeared to head South. Power was CSX 4412, with only 4 or 5 cars. Guess they headed North today. -chris

by rhemler

I haven't seen the train as far as lakehurst for acouple of weeks. But that isn't suprising, I belive that the only place down here being serivced is the the oil company off of banana drive in tomsriver.

Question does anyone know where the crew stays during layovers in either lakewood or lakehurst?

by General

I got a call about a train running today, although i did not go to check it out as it was too late by the time I got the message.
rhemler wrote: Question does anyone know where the crew stays during layovers in either lakewood or lakehurst?
The crew goes back to the yard by van and from there they go home for the night. The next day they go back to the yard, the van drives them to Lakewood, Lakehurst, or wherever else they left the train, and they bring the train back to the yard.

by OCtrainguy

So it seems that the current pattern, based on the past four weeks, is a Tuesday run down the line with a Wednesday run back up the line. I do miss the Sunday runs. I'm working Tuesday and Wednesday.