Railroad Forums 

• Conrail locomotives equipped for the NEC

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#545099  by USRailFan

Were all Conrail locomotive types equipped for use on the NEC, or was there only certain types, and if so which types (at least some Dash-7s were "NEC equipped", as that was the type involved in the Chase, MD accident, but there's got to have been others)?
 #545137  by Noel Weaver

Some SD-40-2's and some B-23-7's were equipped with LSL devices for NEC operation. Just exactly which ones I do not know
but maybe it is listed somewhere. Older timetables from the 90's might show some numbers of permitted engines but I am
not positive about that.
Noel Weaver
 #545221  by Noel Weaver

USRailFan wrote:I guess the SD80MACs must've had LSL, as they operated over the NEC for a short distance? How about any of Conrail's newer locos like the C40-8, C40-8W and SD60I/M?
It's been over ten years for me but I seem to recall that yes the SD-80 MACS as well as the computer equipped control
stands on the other newer wide cabs were equipped with LSL for the NEC.
Noel Weaver
 #545270  by JimBoylan

USRailFan wrote:at least some Dash-7s were "NEC equipped", as that was the type involved in the Chase, MD accident?
The ConRail locos at Chase, Md. had only cab signals, they didn't even have Automatic Train Stop.
 #545317  by Jayjay1213

The SD60M/I's, GP38-2's, GP15's, C40-8W's ran on the NEC. What I used to tell if it could run on the NEC, usually around the cab was a yellow light, that when lite, would indicate that the LSLs' were cut in.
 #545430  by USRailFan

Thanks a lot!
One more related question: Other than doublestack container cars, were/are there other restrictions on types of freightcars allowed on the NEC (e.g. Tri-Level autoracks, high-cube boxcars, piggyback cars, etc)?
 #545458  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Hi,It's been 10 years since the conrail dayzzz........but if you check e bay, those old cr timetables and locomotive roster books show up. It will answer those questions you have. On the LSL's ,BEFORE the widecabs,the sd-40-2's were the LSL queens and we took them on the NEC. After that, all wide cab computer units had built in "LSL". hope this helps.
 #545489  by USRailFan

OK, so basically, CR locos on the NEC would be:

On mainline freights in the 90s: SD80MACs (coal trains to Port Road Branch), SD60Is, C40-8Ws (late models only)
Previously: SD40-2s
On locals and for yard duty: GP38-2s, GP15-1s

And before LSL became a demand, any cab-signal equipped loco could operate on the NEC?
Last edited by USRailFan on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #545493  by Noel Weaver

The earlier C-40-8W's had analog gauges in the cabs and not computer for the gauges and these were not equipped with
LSL to the best of my knowledge.
I just checked Conrail Philadelphia Division and system timetables from January 15, 1999 which were the last timetables for
most of Conrail also Amtrak NEC from around the same time and did not find anything in either one of them as to engines
that had LSL equipment on them as of that time. This information might be in an old bulletin order or notice which will be
much harder to locate.
Sorry I can't help you more on this right now.
Noel Weaver
 #548095  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

The early c-40-8w's have the yellow light on the side of the cab. I am pretty shure they had the LSL in a box located above the wind shield,similar type as theSD40-2's.
 #548292  by GOLDEN-ARM

I don't have one handy, but the ConRail loco books we carried, like a bound roster, listed locos that were cab signal/LSL equipped. Small enough to fit in your pocket, they had all the good info in them. Maybe Noel or LCJ has theirs handy....... :wink: