• Conrail locomotives equipped for the NEC

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by Noel Weaver

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I don't have one handy, but the ConRail loco books we carried, like a bound roster, listed locos that were cab signal/LSL equipped. Small enough to fit in your pocket, they had all the good info in them. Maybe Noel or LCJ has theirs handy....... :wink:
I know what you are talking about but the only ones that I have predate the LSL equipment required for the NEC. These
loco books should have that info if one can be located.
Noel Weaver
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

I have Amtraks employee timetable from April 2004 and there is a large list of locomotives that may be operated over the NEC. If you want to know a particular engine, post it and I'll get back to you, but heres a quick list of some engines allowed on the NEC, but with many restrictions

SD80MAC's 4100-4127
SD60M
GP38-2
C40-8W
  by Noel Weaver

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I have Amtraks employee timetable from April 2004 and there is a large list of locomotives that may be operated over the NEC. If you want to know a particular engine, post it and I'll get back to you, but heres a quick list of some engines allowed on the NEC, but with many restrictions

SD80MAC's 4100-4127
SD60M
GP38-2
C40-8W
These are engines among others that could operate over the NEC but not necessarily as lead units unless they had or have
LSL. That is what this discussion is all about.
Noel Wever
  by Jersey Jeff

I'm surprised no one mentioned the electric E33 and E44. A video of the latter loco moving freight along the NEC in Maryland may be viewed here.
  by Noel Weaver

Jersey Jeff wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned the electric E33 and E44. A video of the latter loco moving freight along the NEC in Maryland may be viewed here.
The rules regarding train control and LSL equipment on locomotives operating in the corridor were established after Conrail
had already ended the use of electric locomotives and rerouted nearly all of their through freight trains off of the NEC.
Noel Weaver
  by JimBoylan

Refer to the accident report about Chase, Md. for comments about how ConRail replaced equipped electric locos with non equipped Diesels.
  by Engineer Spike

I think that the B23-7s had it. They used them out of Springfield, Hartford, and New Haven. By this time Amtrak had LSL there too. Some of the GP15s may have had it too. I remember one time Guilford had an engine fail. The only rescue power was a Conrail GP15, and Guilford ran it through to Plainville.
  by Big Bri

LSL equipped units:
SD-40-2 6424-6524
B23-7 1933;1991-2023
C40-8 6025-6049
C40-8W 6050-6285
SD-60 6840-6867
SD-60M 5500-5574
SD-60I 5575-5654
SD-80MAC 4100-4129
C32-8 6610-6619
LMS C40-8W 700-739
GP-38-2 8260-8281
GP-15-1 1620-1648
GP-40 3210
E-8 4020-4022

There may be some odd units equipped that have escaped me,so feel free if anyone has more units
that are LSL equipped.

Brian
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

That's a great shot of PIED,shure brings back memories of working those jobs. I cannot believe how many places I was qualified and worked on that railroad.You can really see the lit yellow LSL running light on the cab too! very cool!
  by Big Bri

RDG,

If you like that "Classic",here's another one I took at Ridley Park Sta. on March 2,1996:

http://thecrhs.org/?q=image/view/5408/_original

Amtrak NEC
Ridley Park, PA
United States

At 2:56 on this Saturday afternoon, Conrail Dash-8s 6059 and 6090, along with GP38-2 8277, haul 123 cars (39x84 for 7,568 tons) southbound under wire towards Edgemoor, DE. The train came east on Conrail's Harrisburg Line to CP-River, hung the right at the wye, went up over the High Line in Philadelphia, and entered Amtrak at Phil interlocking. He will leave Amtrak at Bell interlocking, just north of Edgemoor.
Photo By: Brian Ferrell
Photo Date: 03/02/1996

RDG,does the code name "W-1" ring a bell from the Conrail era and working those jobs? I may just know you.........

Cheers,
Bri
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Bri.. That code does not ring a bell,but I was qualified all the way to Wilmington,Zoo,30th street, lower level ,even back to Lancaster on ... on Amtrak. Got force assigned to ALSC-SCAL (allentown to stoney creek and back),that train never worked out. Wound up as a true "conehead" road conductor after working all over the place in my first years.(1989-1998) Again,that is a great shot again showing the "lit" LSL light on the cab. Thanks for posting! Bob
  by Big Bri

Bob,
Thanks on the 6059 shot! I was more well known by all the Philly crews who brought the UEP coal trains,PIED/EDPI,ALSC/SCAL trains down the Chester Secondary branch.It was Jack Sharkey(conductor) who gave me the title "W-1" for "Wanamaker Yard #1".
Check out some of my shots from the 1990's on the Chester Sec. and Amtrak here:
http://thecrhs.org/?q=ScenicAndActionGa ... ianFerrell

Click on each photo and then click again on the shot for a full enlargement.

I lived right next to the North end of Wanamaker Yard in Essington,Pa from 1981-1989 and then Ridley Park ever since.So I got to know EVERYBODY pretty much who was on the Philly list.

Cheers,
Bri
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Bri,great stuff,I remember working the coal trains at that plant,the name Sharkey rings a bell! Eric Feld is a big stand out from Phila too.I was on the Phila lists for a while,then No.jersey and Allentown.(and everywhere in between) The Conrail historical is one of your best groups going today. Alot of ex-conrail employees are involved with it. I told them not enough time has passed so, I will not write my Conrail book just yet,as many guys are still working on NS. Bob
  by Big Bri

Eric Feld!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean "808 to base!" Uncle Eric!!! Of course I know Eric!!!! He was a damn good friend during the 80's and 90's era Conrail.He went to NS and then over to Amtrak last I heard........
M. Crothers,R. Schreiber,J. Owens,J. Blodis,D. Motley,G Tansey,B.Kotarski,R.Schmale(Deceased),etc.....The list is endless of my many,many friends from that era.

I'm extremely "lucky" in one regard,I got to know many of them as Friends which opened up many doors that a non-employee rarely gets a chance to experience.
So in that regard, 10 years since Conrail was absorbed into NS & CSX,I'd like to say "Thank You" for the privilege of being allowed to be part of the CR "Family" for sooooooooooooooo many years.Some of the BEST times of my life were spent out there.Thanks guys!! It will forever be Appreciated.

Cheers,
Bri (W-1)

http://thecrhs.org/?q=image/view/5519/_original
Eddystone, PA
United States

A worthy pair of EMD SD40-2s muscle 12,711 tons of coal in 97 cars towards the Philadelphia Electric Company's power plant in Eddystone, PA. Trailing unit is UP 3306.
Photo By: Brian Ferrell
Photo Date: 05/08/1996
Eng. Tony Gatta