Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail Electrification

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1594566  by Red Wing

CRail wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:18 am I believe BandA is referring to the South Station loop that was destroyed by the silver line transit way.
Oh I know that's what he was discussing. I just don't understand why everyone want's to spend a lot of money on something that still has the same problem as before but when a true improvement is suggested we can't spend on that (I know it's all play money here.).
It's sad Boston can't even compare to Philadelphia.
 #1594639  by mbrproductions

By "the same problem as before", do you mean capacity problems? Because both NSRL and Terminal expansion are capable of fixing that, NSRL by through-running and terminal expansion by simply having more tracks, its just that the latter option is smaller scale, cheaper, and has less prerequisites, which is why some of us prefer it.
 #1594643  by Red Wing

by definition a terminal will have less capacity than a station that trains pass through. And there are many costs associated with a terminal that hasn't been accounted for such as more underpinning for above structures do to a bigger footprint including space needing more space for station facilities . More complicated track work overhead power and signal systems equal more costs. And lastly on the reverse move to the yard is there enough space to get a train above ground to the yard without having to do a reverse or do you build a new expensive underground yard? So I propose the savings may not be worth it.
 #1594788  by mbrproductions

Apparently, a bunch of local and state officials have started a coalition and signed a letter to the MBTA requesting for it to prioritize the electrification of the inner Newburyport/Rockport Line,
https://lynnjournal.com/2022/03/31/fede ... ification/
A coalition of 24 federal, state and local officials, who represent the communities served by the Newburyport-Rockport line, signed a letter urging the MBTA to prioritize electrification of the Commuter Rail in its upcoming five-year capital improvement plan (CIP). The Coalition consists of representatives from the following municipalities: Beverly, Chelsea, Everett, Lynn, Nahant, Peabody, Revere, Salem, Swampscott.
But it does have quite the price tag, and this is just the Newburyport/Rockport line we are talking about...
The letter has identified key components of the project that need to be funded including:

• $400 million for the costs associated with the actual electrification of the Newbury-Rockport line. This includes power distribution and catenary installation, modifications to appropriate maintenance facilities and purchasing a new electric fleet.

• $260 million for step-free access to speed up boarding for everyone and to give riders with reduced mobility easier access to the train.

• $120 million for infill stations that will be built on the existing line in address areas that have demand, but currently no stops.

• $35 million for trolley rapid transit that would serve as a link between downtown Peabody and the Salem Commuter Rail Station, attracting hundreds daily.
Any thoughts on this?
 #1594791  by TurningOfTheWheel

I was very disappointed to see no provisions for electrifying the commuter rail in the proposed CIP, and I voiced those feelings in the public comment form.

Electrification isn't cheap, but in a world where the Commonwealth has committed to going fossil fuel–free by 2050 (even setting aside the costs associated with the climate and human health impacts of continuing to burn diesel fuel) it's the only path forward. Every day the T fails to recognize this only puts them further behind the curve.
 #1594793  by FatNoah

• $35 million for trolley rapid transit that would serve as a link between downtown Peabody and the Salem Commuter Rail Station, attracting hundreds daily.

My only comment is why not run it to the North Shore Mall or Liberty Tree malls along one of the defunct ROWs that already cover most of the way. Huge parking lots, highway access, and could possibly generate two-way traffic.
 #1594797  by stevefol

Perhaps now is the time for the MBTA to look at the line of BEMU's (Battery Electric) that Siemens are now selling? These can charge in motion when under wires, with overhead wires provided on cheap and easy sections to wire. The vast majority of the cost of electrification projects is things like bridges and station areas.
 #1594799  by jwhite07

$35 million for trolley rapid transit? That's enough for a feasibility study, not much more than that. I would presume the other numbers are rather optimistic too.
 #1594802  by mbrproductions

I was very disappointed to see no provisions for electrifying the commuter rail in the proposed CIP, and I voiced those feelings in the public comment form.
I wasn't, ever since these talks began I felt that it was all just another pipe dream that nobody at MassDOT or the MBTA actually wanted to move along with. My only question now is that if SCR Full Build calls for electrification and the MBTA has no plans of electrifying, is SCR going to end in Phase I (which would be a disaster), or is MassDOT/MBTA going to challenge the electrification requirement?
 #1594807  by BandA

Just mount wind turbines on the roof of each coach to capture the wind energy. Maybe they can reuse the trolley wire from destroying the Trackless Trolley system.
 #1594810  by Red Wing

stevefol wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:17 am Perhaps now is the time for the MBTA to look at the line of BEMU's (Battery Electric) that Siemens are now selling? These can charge in motion when under wires, with overhead wires provided on cheap and easy sections to wire. The vast majority of the cost of electrification projects is things like bridges and station areas.
Many moons ago I posted an RFI that the MBTA posted for such a beast.
 #1594814  by HenryAlan

mbrproductions wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:45 am Any thoughts on this?
The FMCB already called for this to happen. It's officially an MBTA priority, along with electrifying Providence and Fairmont. It is good to see the legislature pushing, though. Such initiatives are often left on the back burner and nobody really notices until they are long forgotten.
 #1594824  by mbrproductions

If it is an MBTA priority, then how come it wasn't in the Capital Investment Plan? I know that the FCMB voted on making this happen, but that was 3 years ago and nothing has happened since, and now the MBTA leaves it out of the CIP, which shows for sure that it definitely isn't a priority.
 #1594883  by mbrproductions

FMCB went out of existence. Not sure exactly how it is structured now.
So does that mean that their vote to move along with this is now irrelevant, or is whatever replaced them required to carry it out for them?

Also, I found an article (link: https://commonwealthmagazine.org/the-do ... ication-2/) that is mainly about MBTA Bus Electrification, but has the following to say about Commuter Rail electrification,
The electrification of the T’s bus fleet is moving forward, albeit at a slower pace than many would prefer. But a plan for electrifying the diesel-powered commuter rail system is yet to emerge. The MBTA’s previous oversight board — the Fiscal and Management Control Board — approved a resolution in November 2019 calling for electrification and more frequent service on the Providence and Fairmount lines and on at least a portion of the Rockport/Newburyport line that serves Lynn, Chelsea, Revere, and Everett.

Given the high costs involved and a budget squeeze looming in coming years, the MBTA has shown little interest in electrifying the commuter rail system. The new, more passive T board of directors is also not pressing the transit authority for any quick action, which means electrification of the commuter rail system is likely to be on hold for some time.