Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1532938  by DutchRailnut

keep in mind that some of powers to be, are severely turned off on DMU's .
they worked with not only RDC/SPV but Joe Guiletti got stuck with Colorado DMU in Florida and it was once again a disaster.
European DMU's despite their looks are under powered, and for full time HVAC would need at least 2 engines per car.
imagine a 4 car set on spingfield line and maintaining 8 engines , mounted at track level and subject to damage to every dear turd and whatever the American juvenile can place on the rails . also CDOT is currently overhauling the P40's making them OK for next 15 years or more
 #1533024  by BandA

With this AT&T 5G or 4G service, what are Verizon / Sprint / T-mobile customers supposed to do? Is ATT paying for exclusive access, including antennas / microcells on the new coaches? (article does not say microcells, but if you have an antenna on the roof you need a transmitter inside to make it work). People want enough lighting to read, but don't want it to hurt their eyes, duh.
 #1533204  by daybeers

These new cars will be used on the Hartford Line, Shore Line East, and Metro-North's Danbury and Waterbury branches. I don't know anything about being shared with the MTA.

An RFP is supposed to be released soonish. To my knowledge, multi-levels aren't being considered. We shall see about DMUs.
 #1533216  by njtmnrrbuff

It will probably be some sort of single level equipment that will be dedicated to run on the MNR Branchline shuttle trains. I'm sure that these will probably have some sort of MNR marking on them but with red paint since they will probably be owned by CDOT. I would count on brand new single level equipment being purchased for Ctrail operations as well. There's no need to purchase multilevels for SLE and Hartford Line, especially if they aren't going to Grand Central Terminal.
 #1533229  by DutchRailnut

all coaches on Metro- North will be same no matter if they are owned by CDOT or MN , given that they will have to travel via GCT and will be maintained in Harmon .
CDOT does not have an agreement to do otherwise for nearly 20 more years out of a 25 year contract.
 #1533554  by nomis

Mod Note: I split the CDOT RFI for "Service ready" cars recent discussion into it's own thread.
 #1533657  by Jeff Smith

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:27 pm And cut the context of my DMU comment in the process...making me look like some DMU obsessed freak ;)
Yeah, it was an odd cut, but only because it was Waterbury specific. If it helps, move more. Sorry, GotT.
 #1538910  by NH2060

The CT2030 plan calls for 132 new cars for the branch lines, SLE, and HFD Line (along with 30 new locomotives):
HARTFORD — The Lamont administration is preparing financing for the purchase of 72 new rail cars, including for the Waterbury branch of the Metro-North Railroad.

The State Bond Commission is expected on Wednesday to approve a $300 million authorization to pay for the replacement rail coaches for Shoreline East, the Hartford Line, and the Danbury and Waterbury branches of the New Haven Line.
https://www.rep-am.com/local/localnews/ ... rail-cars/
 #1538911  by DutchRailnut

now we get to design , compatibility , RFP , actual purchase, and then construction.
my guess ?... 5 to 8 years for first car.

and what is interesting is currently CDOT owns 49 cars in MN pool plus 20 or so Mafersa cars for SLE plus Hartford leasers they want to double fleet size ??
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1538913  by njtmnrrbuff

The number of the CDOT cars and locomotives that are supposed to be used on the Bridgeport to Waterbury shuttles is probably a good amount. Of course, before these new cars enter service on the branch, CDOT has to build more sidings along the Waterbury Branch which they are going to do.
 #1538928  by Backshophoss

MBTA is attempting to recall the MBB's back,not sure if to put the MBB's on the Greenville shuttle service,or back on Northside service
to ease a "car Shortage"
 #1538935  by DutchRailnut

they may want them back but I believe there is 3 year left on contract.
 #1538937  by chrisf

DutchRailnut wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:50 pm they may want them back but I believe there is 3 year left on contract.
No, the lease is for 3 years beginning December, 2017. There was the possibility of extending it for up to 3 years, but presumably MBTA wants them back.