Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1539870  by Jeff Smith

Wait, these were two separate orders? As I understood it, it was one order for 60 cars that had an error in the bonding agenda item thus leading everyone to think it was 72, with 12 cars for Waterbury. My point being, I don't think they would have mixed the order just bonded for CTRail with cars for MNRR which would be pool cars. Which is why the CTRail cars don't have to be compatible (although it's not a bad idea for future flexibility) and don't need GCT accessibility (no plans anytime soon for either of those services to run to GCT). As for Waterbury and GCT compatible, yes, that would make sense for equipment turns even if there's never a Waterbury through train. But then, I'd make the Waterbury branch a CTRail operation under contract like Hartford Line with a Devon transfer, never to see the main line again lol.
 #1539873  by DutchRailnut

the bond issue was for 132 cars , 60 for SLE/Hartford . 72 for MN pool (Danbury/Waterbury ) and spares.

https://www.rep-am.com/local/localnews/ ... Nxb0lSNbNs

quote : That initiative recommended 132 new coaches and 30 locomotives for all the commuter rail lines.
 #1539922  by Traingeek3629

Although it seems to be long-lost, I would still love M8s on Shore Line East...

This would free up the SLE cars for Danbury/Waterbury service.
 #1539939  by Backshophoss

M-8's on SLE,Need to prove the on board ACSES gear is useable on that part of the NEC.
72 ConnDOT owned cars are part of MN's order of BBD MLV III's, aka "pool" cars.
Wonder if any will be set up as "Bar Cars? :)
 #1539998  by Pensyfan19

Or café cars. Instead of selling alcoholic beverages on the train for people to possibly get behind the wheel while intoxicated, why not have a café car which sells non-intoxicating drinks and snacks to prevent customers from riding on an empty stomach? This can be applied to all commuter railroads, such as the LIRR since they used to have a bar car as well. There are even ex-Amtrak horizon café cars for sale as surplus equipment to be refurbished and restored for this purpose. (It's just a thought which can be applied in a good way. :-) )
 #1540063  by GirlOnTheTrain

Traingeek3629 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 pm Although it seems to be long-lost, I would still love M8s on Shore Line East...

Can't run Mafersa cars into GCT. They have manual doors and I believe the third rail clearance is questionable. Hartford Line would be a more likely candidate for those castoffs.
 #1540092  by Jeff Smith

Amazing how a few years ago, they had excess Mafersas. Too bad CTDOT is in such a pinch... in a few years, NJT is going to be dumping all their single level Comets when they start getting their ML III EMU's.
 #1540141  by Pensyfan19

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:36 pm
Traingeek3629 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 pm Although it seems to be long-lost, I would still love M8s on Shore Line East...

Can't run Mafersa cars into GCT. They have manual doors and I believe the third rail clearance is questionable. Hartford Line would be a more likely candidate for those castoffs.
Doesn't the Hartford Line use Mafersa cars occasionally? I thought I saw a video of them being used at least once on the line. Or maybe it was a testing train.
 #1540150  by GirlOnTheTrain

Hartford Line trains have used SLE sets, but the state leased MBTA's 30 year old crap to specifically rehab for Hartford Line service. The point was they'd be sent to the Hartford Line before they would be sent to MNRR Branch line service if the M8s ever make it to SLE. (LOL)
 #1540276  by daybeers

While I have never even stepped foot on the Waterbury or Danbury branches, I do know the cars and I am very frustrated about this news. Those riders have been waiting for years for new equipment and just a little while before the builder was chosen, the rug was pulled out from under them. I understand the probable cause is a lack of funding agreement with the MTA, but how are they going to keep loyal riders let alone attract new ones on the branch lines?

I have heard that the situation with the MBTA wanting their leased cars back is not as dire as the media portrayed it. I do think SLE is not going to see M8s anytime soon, but that's just my opinion.

I also started a thread here for the RFI posted by CTDOT for potential food and beverage service provided by cart.
 #1540280  by DutchRailnut

from a CDOT insider , the rumor about MBTA wanting cars back is false, the lease is good for close to 5 years and MBTA has not asked for cars back.
 #1540291  by njtmnrrbuff

Something does need to cover those Ctrail Hartford Line trains until newer equipment enters revenue service. I have ridden those MBB cars a few times on Ctrail. The seats aren't as comfortable as the Mafersa Cars. It would be great if they could get up to at least 100 mph in revenue service but that will probably not happen. Hopefully those Ctrail MBB cars don't break down very much.

I have ridden the Waterbury and Danbury branch many times but not in a very long time. It is time to replace many of those Shoreliner Cars. The noncenter door MTA owned Shoreliners were probably the first to have entered revenue service. They were built between 1985 and 1987. I'm not sure when the CDOT owned non center door Shoreliners were built, but I could imagine it wasn't too far after.
 #1540293  by DutchRailnut

The end door cars were 100% rebuild (bare frame) at Bath NY (bombardier) about 12 years ago.
 #1540301  by GirlOnTheTrain

I would argue reliable motive power (and more motive power in general) is a priority over dumping the Shoreliners because they're "old". The Shoreliners themselves are not really that dilapidated. When the train gets bustituted - unless it's a bad cab car or something chances are more likely it's a choo choo problem and not the coach. As someone who lived on the Waterbury branch for years, the negative connotations were because the train breaks down. Is the panelling ugly? Sure...but the cars themselves get the job done. I'll still take a diesel over an M8 or M7 any day from a passenger comfort standpoint.

I don't hear people from Poughkeepsie whining about the cars that much. They could stand to maybe be power washed to get the layer of accumulated filth off the floor (Waterbury particularly, never noticed cars as filthy on Danbury trains) but guess what, you get shiny new cars...they're gonna be filthy in 2 months too.