• Buying a new scanner: suggestions

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by roee

I have a VX-150, and it works great for the RR band. Better than any other radio except for a professional railroad radio, and they are man hundreds of dollars, where the VX-150 is like $125. It only works on a small band, from 140 MHz to 170 MHz, but that covers the 2 meter band, the marine band, and the RR band. It's a slow scanner, but I only listen to the channels I need to for where I am (like 5 at most). It's a very tough radio and works great.
Btkspot89 wrote: But then you run the risk of some one playing around and transmitting on a railroad band which I am pretty sure is not allowed unless you are certified to operate on that band.
Unless playing around means using a soldiering iron, then you'll have no problem with the VX-150. Only transmits on the 2 meter band.

by roee

capecodlocoguy wrote:Don't count on the FCC re-allocating railroad frequencies in the 800mhz range anytime soon. The cost to the railroads would be huge!!
It's not going to happen. In 2012, they are going to make the spectrum narrow band. So where 90 RR channels fit in now, there will be 180 channels.
  by EdM

OK try this out fer a way to scan. The IC43A has 100 memories. there are less than 100 RR frequencies. Enter in all the RR frequencies in such a way that its RR channel number= the radio memory number. AND skip that memory channel. This is easily done on the computer. Then when you go somewhere, remove the "skip" instruction for the (few) channels used at that location, and scan away. When you go somewhere else, re-enter the skip instructions, or plug it into your laptop fer a minute to return to the "all skip" mode.. Woikes fer me, and I never hafta enter any frequency again. Also make up a computer file the opposite, i.e. non-skip, instruction. That file can be loaded if you ever want to scan all the RR channels without wasting time hitting the unused/unassigned frequencies.. I find that channel/memory numbers are much easier to remember (or write on my hand) than the frequencies. Ed

by Maybrook fan

One suggestion I have is buy a scanner that you can set the delay on whatever chanell you want. Some scanners come with a "built in" delay.
This option delays the radio to hold the channel fo 2 or 3 seconds after transmission stops. You'll find that some channels you want to hear every word spoken and others you just monitor for info that might be helpful.
A built in delay holds any channel that brocast, so you'll sometimes take forever for the scanner to get back to the channel you're interested in. As you might have figured by now I HATE built in delays.

Another handy option to have is a priorty channel. (most scanners today have this but there are a few cheaper models that don't)

As for the "high band 800 frequencies", many of the scanners today cover that band already.
  by amoreho1

what would be the best, cheapest brand and style to go with

by Conrail4evr

If you're just listening to railroads, I'd opt for a Ham radio, such as the Icom V8 or the Yaesu VX-150. They'll easily outperform virtually anything on the scanner market.

by JJMDiMunno

I've always been partial towards Uniden myself...you most likely don't need anything like a trunk tracker, etc...and digital is overkill for listening to railroads. You can pick up some decent stuff on EBay. I used a BC30XLT-1 for YEARS...that was a portable which is no longer made by Uniden...it always handled interferance very well in my case which is important if you're near a city, where there are NOAA transmitters or pagers.

Now, I'm using a PRO-528 from Radio Shack (yeah, I know I said I prefer Uniden, but they had the better deal when I needed a new one myself). Got it on sale for less than $100 which wasn't too bad at the time (that was about 8 months ago, I don't know what it retails for now). Works relatively well though front end overload is still a problem (still nothing better than my old BC30XLT-1).

If you can find one of those older scanners on EBay, give it a try...can't cost too much anymore, they haven't been made in years.

Mike DiMunno
  by Plate F

Okay, a question for you about scanners...are there any cheap (>$50) new or used scanners that only operate in the 100's? I don't care about the police or fire, just want to hear the RR transmissions (FGLK, CSX, NS).

Thanks.

by CarterB

Do a search for :
Uniden Bearcat BC72XLT
should be able to pick up one for under $100.
  by ElliotCourtney

Can Somebody reccomend me to a decent Scanner for $100 and less??
Elliot :-D :-D
  by El_Kabong

I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

My overnight trip is approaching, and it occurred to me this morning I'd like to pick up a scanner, the more to enjoy the rails part of the trip.

However, much as I like trains, I don't get many chances to ride them, so on its face, a scanner wouldn't be cost-effective.

I do, however, go to the Indianapolis 500 every year and rent a scanner while there. If I got a scanner that I could not only use at the 500 but also could be used when I take my infrequent rail jaunts, that would make the purchase a lot more logical.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'm all ears.
  by ryanov

I can't help in that department, other than to mention that you should take a look at the other forums if you haven't already. I haven't looked myself, but I have a feeling there is a forum that regularly deals with that sort of thing elsewhere on the site.
  by Aa3rt

El_Kabong: If you'll scroll down the forum index you'll find a "Radio" forum that should help answer your questions.

You can get there from here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=43

I'm not endorsing, selling or shilling anything but is something like this what you're looking for?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... /4653.html