Railroad Forums 

• Buying a new scanner: suggestions

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#435122  by nydepot

I'm looking to purchase a new scanner (covering RR frequencies, obviously). And, yes, I've read "Buying your first scanner? Read me first!".

I'd like to hear suggestions on models currently on the market, good reception (I'm ok with replacing the rubber-duckie antenna with a new one if needed), ease of entering the AAR channels rather than typing in all 100 freq, and portable rather than something to need to mount.

Also, I know some can now be programmed with a cable so if one is compatible with a Mac, that would be even better.

I've read some reviews on line but found they were dated and the models are no longer made, including a "Relm"? that was considered the best railfan scanner.

Please post your recommendations. Thanks.

Charles

#435271  by Conrail4evr

I would personally stay away from scanners, as they feature both poor sensitivity and selectivity. Check out the Icom V8 or the Yaesu/Vertex Standard VX-150 or VX-170. Both of these are hand-held Ham radios with great reception on the rail band (many times better than a scanner). All of these models could be purchased from http://www.universal-radio.com.

I would also highly recommend a commercial radio (such as Motorola, Kenwood, etc.). You can regularly find Motorola MT1000's on eBay, specifically set up for railfans with all 97 AAR channels (and the two most commonly used NOAA weather channels). These are very good, very reliable, and very rugged radios that I would highly recommend. Check out this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/99-CHANNEL-MT1000-2 ... dZViewItem

Hope this helps your search!
 #439118  by TheKornGuy

Hey all,
Im in the market for a scanner. I have never owned one before so Im turning to you guys, the experts, as to which one you think is the best one for the money. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I don't want it to break after two months either, haha. Any help would be great!

#439122  by RearOfSignal

Have you tried the Radio Forum? You could probably get a better response there.

#439127  by TheKornGuy

ah yes, I probably should have looked for that first, haha. Thanks.

#439142  by Dick H

There are many choices in scanners. Base or portable, trunking or not trunking. 20 channels to 1,000 channels. A couple of web sites to check would be: radioshack.com and scanner world.com.

If you just want to listen trackside, a portable unit with nicad batteries and the charger will run you in the $130 range and up. Most of the scanners today are either Radio Shack or Uniden. I have had numerous Radio Shack scanners over many years, and somehow the more recent models don't seem as good as the older ones. The newer ones have more channels, preprogrammed weather, aircraft, etc, but don't seem as durable and as good reception as the older ones. Just my opinion. I have not owned a Uniden for many years, but plan to try one of those in the future. You will notice that there are digital scanners to receive digital signals and these are much more expensive. As far as I know, all the railroads are still use analog frequencies, although there is some sort of FCC plan down the road to force them onto digital. If Uncle Sam comes up with the cash to change to digital, the railroads will gladly do so. Otherwise, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Many police agencies have changed to digital, but only after Uncle Sam paid the bill.

Dick

#439147  by TheKornGuy

Thanks Dick. Yea, a lot of people are starting to turn me away from Radio Shack scanners for some reason... im going to defiantly try and get myself a Uniden! Any other suggestions? Anyone looking to sell a used one?

#439149  by Conrail4evr

I wouldn't bother with a scanner. Go for a radio, such as the Yaesu VX-150 or VX-170, or the Icom V8. Both are good quality radios that'll easily run circles around a scanner, and better yet, they cost the same price!

#439185  by TheKornGuy

nice! Any suggestions on where to find the best price on one of those?

#439305  by Btkspot89

Conrail4evr wrote:I wouldn't bother with a scanner. Go for a radio, such as the Yaesu VX-150 or VX-170, or the Icom V8. Both are good quality radios that'll easily run circles around a scanner, and better yet, they cost the same price!
But then you run the risk of some one playing around and transmitting on a railroad band which I am pretty sure is not allowed unless you are certified to operate on that band. When I listen in I don't hear non railroad people transmitting. Sure depending on the type of radio that you would like to purchase might have a better range and reception but I personally believe that scanners are the way to go...

#439424  by Tom Curtin

Btkspot89 wrote:I am not sure If I understood what you guys said but did you mention the FCC of bumping railroads off the VHF frq and moving them to the 800mhz digital?
Is that changing of frequencies something that a) has already happened, or b) will happen, or c) is a possibility?

#439425  by Tom Curtin

Dick H wrote:There are many choices in scanners. Base or portable, trunking or not trunking. 20 channels to 1,000 channels. A couple of web sites to check would be: radioshack.com and scanner world.com.
Since it has been many years since I purchased a scanner I'm going to ask a question that could make me sound terribly uninformed and "out of it" but here goes: do you still have to purchase a crystal for each frequency you want (The ones I used to own worked that way) or do they have the capability to dial in (or key in) frwquencies these days?

#439459  by clearblock

All scanners now are frequency synthesized so you just program the frequencies from the keypad.

#439465  by TheKornGuy

does that mean by just scanning the airwaves for frequencies on a scanner, I wont be able to pick up anything? Or can i still scan, find a frequency i want, and just save it.
Also, has all RR radio activity defiantly swithed over to digital?