Railroad Forums 

• Buying a new scanner: suggestions

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#573707  by Noel Weaver

I have three Bearcat Scanners that I use one of which is very old and turned by crystals but the other two are programable
and all of them do a reasonably decent job.
I can add this, I do not recommend you buy a scanner that only takes rechargable batteries or battery packs. These things
usually go dead with little notice and always at the wrong time. Alkaline batters last a good spell in my crystal tuned radio
which get used several times a week and I get plenty of warning before the radio is unusable.
If you are anywhere near Albany, New York Scanner World is the best source for these things, they also have a web site.

http://www.scannerworld.com/

Noel Weaver
 #615894  by EdM

"RADIOVHF - For Sale: IC-W32AT ICOM
Radio,like new. With rubber duck,BP173 Battery,LC-case,BC119 dropin
charger. $210 shipped.
Listing #705279 - Submitted on 12/04/08 by Callsign WB5RVV, Modified on 12/22/08
Click Here to Email -- Send this Ad to a Friend "

I thought I would do some cross=polanazation.. The above add is typical of what you will see on QTH.com and also a great suggestion of what "scanner" would be among the best for RR listening. I own two of 'em and beside covering 2 and 450 they also cover the RR 162 freq (dont xmit there) and the RR 460 (or whatever) frequencies. They have 100 memorys and are EASILY computer loaded, I have one will all the RR frequencies loaded by RR channel number, and have individual files which I load before I go, such as "River/Selkirk Frequencies". Works very well that way as I can either EASILY scan all the RR freq or just the ones applicable to the local area.
I don't know the guy or anything like that, but adds like this appear frequently on "QTH.com".... This site is about the best I have come across for radios and amateur stuff. Elsie Kay
 #615936  by OCtrainguy

For my birthday at the end of May, my wife bought me a Radio Shack Pro82 scanner. Well, I haven't had the scanner for seven months and something went with the volume and squelch. I took it to my local Radio Shack and they began with Product Replacement process (my wife bought the Product Replacement Warranty when she bought the scanner) without much inquiry or even looking at the scanner.

So I am getting a gift card from Radio Shack for the cost of the Pro82 plus sales tax. Now, here's where things get interesting. Based on Radio Shack's website, the Pro82 is no longer listed. Based on the price range, it looks like some of the options I have are the Radio Shack PRO-135, Radio Shack Pro-162 or Pro 164 (based on sale price), Uniden Bearcat BC72XLT or the Uniden BC95XLTB.

I see there are pros and cons listed on the reviews for each scanner, the though Pro-164 seems to have more cons. So I have some homework to do. But, any suggestions would be appreciated.
 #616286  by Mikejf

I have a Uniden BC350A that I have had for several years. No problems with it what so ever. I use it for Railroad as well as Fire/Police as that what it was intended for. I also have a Uniden BCT 7 that has performed perfectly since I purchased it. These are not portable, but as long as you are in or near your vehicle, you will hear what is going on.
Mike