Railroad Forums 

• Box Cars at Boonton & Bayway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#67582  by David Hutchinson

I was going south on 287 today and noticed two, old and unlettered box cars over to my right near the company that makes office furniture. Any idea on their heritage? Also noticed what appeared to be an old wooden box car at the Bayway Refinery. Noticed this one while going south on the Turnpike, just past the major portion of the refinery, about 500 yards inwards.

#67587  by 7 Train

Dauphin in Boonton?

The NJT Boonton Line (served by NS) runs by here.
 #67590  by RichM

Sounds like you stopped at the Dunkin' Donuts in Boonton for coffee! Immeditely behind the A&P (across the tracks) is the Dietrich Industries steel joist plant. They reactivated rail service this spring, there was an old post about the new trackwork there.
Generally, there are a few 50' boxcars positioned there with stenciled reporting marks on the car ends, that may have been what you saw.
Hope this helps.

Rich

#67592  by 7 Train

There's a new Wal-Mart (opened in July) behind the rail line.

#67633  by njtmnrrbuff

When does freight run lets say through Dover or via anywhere on the Boonton Line on a Friday in the late morning. The day after thanksgiving, I plan to ride the WORM to Dover in both directions.

#70203  by Al Holleuffer

njt/mnrrbuff,

There is no set schedule for the local freight job HO-02 out of Dover that serves the few remaining customers on the old Boonton Line. I'm the Engineer on trains 1020 and 1021 and I usually pass them in Boonton once a week, sometimes twice. It's quite possible the HO-02 won't be working at all on Friday, Nov. 26th. I'm not certain if that's a holiday for NS or not. It isa contractual for NJ Transit but we usually run a normal weekday schedule.

#70215  by njtmnrrbuff

I will be riding 1081, if I do go out there.

#70239  by nick11a

Al Holleuffer wrote:njt/mnrrbuff,

There is no set schedule for the local freight job HO-02 out of Dover that serves the few remaining customers on the old Boonton Line. I'm the Engineer on trains 1020 and 1021 and I usually pass them in Boonton once a week, sometimes twice. It's quite possible the HO-02 won't be working at all on Friday, Nov. 26th. I'm not certain if that's a holiday for NS or not. It isa contractual for NJ Transit but we usually run a normal weekday schedule.
Yeah, I've seen them sometimes heading east down the Boonton line in Denville. The times I saw it was with 3063 pulling. It had a fairly decent amount of cars.

#70245  by njt4172

nick11a wrote:

Yeah, I've seen them sometimes heading east down the Boonton line in Denville. The times I saw it was with 3063 pulling. It had a fairly decent amount of cars.
Believe it or not, but 3063 is now roaming the NS system...He was last seen out in Chicago.,.I'll try to find pics....Who knows maybe the engine is down in Atlanta......

#70248  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:
nick11a wrote:

Believe it or not, but 3063 is now roaming the NS system...He was last seen out in Chicago.,.I'll try to find pics....Who knows maybe the engine is down in Atlanta......
You're kidding. I guess it wanted to see the world huh? I was lucky to catch the 3063 back in early August at Murray Hill on the Reheis stuff. Guess it got tired of the greater Morristown and Dover area.

"Let Me Sail, Let Me Sail on the Orinoco Flow..
Let Me Reach, Let Me Beach, on the Shores of Tripoli
Carry Me on the Waves to the Lands I've Never Been
Carry Me on the Waves to the Lands I've Never Seen
Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away......"

Anyone know what power they have now up in Dover?

#70359  by njt4172

NJick,

I believe the power up there now is the 3053 or something....Well, it was as of last Wednesday...

I'll have to drive by there tonight.

Steve

#70378  by jsx

I know theres no set schedule...but does anybody know what day/time they usually do the Totowa Industrial?

thanks
Jim

#70383  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:NJick,

I believe the power up there now is the 3053 or something....Well, it was as of last Wednesday...

I'll have to drive by there tonight.

Steve
3053 huh? Cool. Do they ever get anything else up there besides PRR Conrail Geeps?

#70429  by njt4172

Nick,

Yup, every now and then a high nose SD40 or high nose GP38-2 will come up from Washington as a trailing unit....They don't switch the industries though as they lack cab signals for transit. About 3-4 years ago NS brought some guilford units up as well. I remember nolifecrchaser posted the picturess.....Speaking of which, what happened to him???

Steve

#70554  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Nick,

Yup, every now and then a high nose SD40 or high nose GP38-2 will come up from Washington as a trailing unit....They don't switch the industries though as they lack cab signals for transit. About 3-4 years ago NS brought some guilford units up as well. I remember nolifecrchaser posted the picturess.....Speaking of which, what happened to him???

Steve
Ain't seen him, but I'm sure he is still around. Hopefully, when I'm back home on breaks, I can have some more oppurtunities to catch the HS-02 doing the Reheis- preferably during daylight hours and not in the wee hours in the morning. :-)

And btw, like your avatar. What station is that?