Railroad Forums 

• Books with color photos of NYC

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1258587  by Tommy Meehan

That photo was taken by Jim Shaughnessey and appears in the Kalmbach Book, "New York Central in the Hudson Valley."

I once corresponded with Jim Shaughnessey about that photo. He told me he took it in about 1956 after riding down from Harmon on 8350. It was a mail & express transfer run. I commented on having the Alco diesel and the Empire State Building in the same photo. He said yes, that was the idea. The diesel was on the lead track to the Morgan Annex of the USPS on W. 29th Street. He said he saw the composition as soon as he got off the diesel.

He was actually kind enough to send me an 8x10 print of the photo. How could you get one? Maybe via eBay or at a train show. I don't think I still have Mr. Shaughnessey's address. Come to think of it I contacted him by sending him a letter in a separate envelope to Kalmbach and asking if they would forward it. They did! You might try that. He was pretty friendly.