Railroad Forums 

• Books with color photos of NYC

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1082869  by mirrodie

It was before my time. Can anyone recommend any good books with color photos on the New York Central?

I only first began to learn about it with the High Line. But I am more interested in seeing what it was like in photos in use back then.THank you!
 #1084723  by Otto Vondrak

mirrodie wrote:It was before my time. Can anyone recommend any good books with color photos on the New York Central?
Where have you looked? I typed "New York Central book" into Google and came up with more results than I care to count.

Morning Sun has a whole series of color books featuring the New York Central:
http://www.morningsunbooks.com/nyccat.html

I co-published a book that features color photos from the Putnam Division:
http://www.nywbry.com/forgotten/

The classic "New York Central: Gone But Not Forgotten" is long out of print, but still available online:
http://www.amazon.com/York-Central-Syst ... 0934088101

This should get you started.

-otto-
 #1084770  by Ocala Mike

"New York Central Railroad" by Solomon/Schafer is a good one with plenty of photos. It might still be available in libraries (you remember those, right?).
 #1085457  by Otto Vondrak

Ocala Mike wrote:"New York Central Railroad" by Solomon/Schafer is a good one with plenty of photos. It might still be available in libraries (you remember those, right?).

It's got a nice map inside, I know that...

http://www.amazon.com/York-Central-Rail ... 0760329281

-otto-
 #1087045  by wjstix

Ocala Mike wrote:"New York Central Railroad" by Solomon/Schafer is a good one with plenty of photos. It might still be available in libraries (you remember those, right?).
An interesting thing about that book is that after it first came out, the authors found a large cache of NYC railroad pictures, so maybe 2/3rds of the pictures (or more) in the recent reissue of the book are different than what were in the first edition.

I have both versions by the way.
 #1089052  by Otto Vondrak

wjstix wrote:An interesting thing about that book is that after it first came out, the authors found a large cache of NYC railroad pictures, so maybe 2/3rds of the pictures (or more) in the recent reissue of the book are different than what were in the first edition.
Not "found," just substituted better or different photographs, depending on the rights to each image. The editor of the book had different ideas this time around, giving the author a little more say in what images were to be used. Also, awesome maps. Did I mention that?

-otto-
 #1095714  by mirrodie

Otto Vondrak wrote:

It's got a nice map inside, I know that...

http://www.amazon.com/York-Central-Rail ... 0760329281

-otto-

Indeed lol. I'm an avid library user and was able to load the Solomon/Schafer book. Of course I took note very early on that none other than Otto was credited with maps.;)

More specifically, while many books noted above are in color, were any specific or more concentrated on the High Line?

Thank you.
 #1095741  by Otto Vondrak

mirrodie wrote:More specifically, while many books noted above are in color, were any specific or more concentrated on the High Line?
None to my knowledge.

-otto-
 #1106251  by Tommy Meehan

mirrodie wrote:More specifically, while many books noted above are in color, were any specific or more concentrated on the High Line?
Just for the record the New York Central never referred to its freight line down Manhattan's west side as "the High Line." I've asked former employees who worked there and none of them ever heard that term used.

It was called variously, the 30th Street Branch, the New York Terminal District and, perhaps most common of all, the West Side Line. But never the "High Line."

Calling it the High Line would've made little sense, anyway. The portion of the line from Spuyten Duyvil to about 125th Street was at grade level. Below 125th Street to 72nd Street the line was (and is) in a tunnel under Riverside Park. In the yard at 72nd Street the track was again at grade level, then entered a below grade open cut at W.60th Street leading to a second freight yard at W.33rd Street. There the track ascended to an elevated structure which looped around the yard before heading south to the St. John's Park freight station in Lower Manhattan, a block south of Houston Street. It is the upper portion of this segment of the line, west of Tenth Avenue and north of Gansevoort Street, that is the part that has been preserved as today's "High Line."

#1108123  by Otto Vondrak

DIESELS TO THE HIGH COUNTRY - NEW YORK CENTRAL'S CATSKILL MOUNTAIN BRANCH 1948-1976
by John Ham 144 pages hardcover

This book details the diesel years on the New York Central's Catskill Mountain Branch. From the first diesels in 1948 to the last trains to run, this book has them all. Trackside scenes, feed mills and creameries, bridges and old statoons, derailments and snowplows; they are all here. More then 200 of Eugene Dauner's remarkable color sides, many never before published, have been combined with a few images from the author's collection to present a look at the line.

http://www.ronsbooks.com/cgi-bin/quikst ... t_page&and

-otto-
 #1109284  by Otto Vondrak

charlie6017 wrote:Thanks for posting that, Otto. Just ordered my copy!
You won't be disappointed. Every page is pure gold! And I don't say that about many books...
 #1109956  by charlie6017

Otto Vondrak wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:Thanks for posting that, Otto. Just ordered my copy!
You won't be disappointed. Every page is pure gold! And I don't say that about many books...
I just received it today and I took a quick look at just a few shots. Really looks like a real keeper here, and
I'm looking forward spending some hours reading it. Thanks for recommending it!

Charlie
 #1224604  by charlie6017

It took me a while to get to reading it, but Diesels To The High Country by John Ham was one
of the greatest books I have read. From what I understand, this book is already out-of-print and I'm not
surprised. This book is a must-have for anyone interested in the New York Central. It took me only a few
days to read this because I didn't want to put it down.

Those are some of the finest photos I have ever seen compiled into one book. If you ever get a chance
to obtain a copy of this, DO IT. I have a good number of books in my collection, but when I finished reading
this book this afternoon, I just said "Wow!" It's that good! My hat is off to Mr. Ham and Mr. Dauner for making
this book available for all of us.

Charlie
 #1258580  by mirrodie

Just came across this image in the LIRR forum and its one of m favorites.

Can anyone direct me toward more images of diesels on the west side line in Manhattan please? I would love to have one blown up.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 3&t=154962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;