Railroad Forums 

• B&M GP38-2s with GP40-2 paint jobs

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#852424  by CFD125

Does anybody have any photos of the B&M GP38's with the GP40 paint job?

As far as I can tell, they only were in that scheme in 1981.

I have seen only one photo of the 206 with large cab side number, white sill stripe, and Boston and Maine spelled out on the long hood.

I have seen them in this paint job, but with the sill painted black.

I'm not sure how many units were painted this way, but I modeled the 202, 206, & 210 in HO using Atlas GP38's. They look great lashed up with my Atlas GP40's that I painted at the same time.

On a side note, Dear Mr. Moderator.
How many posts do I need before each one does not have to be approved? In the new users section, it indicates that it should have only been the first post. I have tried to contact a moderator, but it won't let me do that either. That is why I am asking here.
Thanks, Bob V.
 #852457  by MEC407

CFD125 wrote:On a side note, Dear Mr. Moderator.
How many posts do I need before each one does not have to be approved? In the new users section, it indicates that it should have only been the first post. I have tried to contact a moderator, but it won't let me do that either. That is why I am asking here.
Thanks, Bob V.
I was also under the impression that only the first post had to be approved and that all subsequent posts would go through automatically. If this continues to be a problem, please send an e-mail to Otto, the site admin. You can do so by clicking here.
 #852748  by bmcdr

The good news Bob, is that in model railroading anything is possible, if it appeals to you, then just do it, I don't think there's anybody out there that thought the black sidesill looked better than the white anyway. The bad news is, 210 ended her days at the B&M still in the delivery scheme.

I do have photos of 203 with a white sidesill taken in June 1981 and a shot of 206 taken December 1980.
 #852760  by bmcdr

Here's that shot of 203 coupled with 314 at Lawrence,Mass. June 1981.
1 203 1.jpg
 #852762  by MEC407

How can such a simple paint scheme look so good? Man, I miss seeing those units. I was much too young to appreciate them when they were still out and about. :(
 #852781  by CFD125

Thank you.

That's a great shot of 203 in the livery that I was trying to describe.

If I was unclear, my point was that I had only seen that livery on a GP38-2, with the white sill, once... in a book.

Here is a bad photo of one of my Atlas GP38's that I painted. I made the sight glass hole in the long hood.

I recently moved, and my digital camera got mad and ran away from home, so all I have now is my cell phone, untill I buy another camera. (You always lose something when you move)

#852798  by MEC407

Very nice!
 #859214  by Tadman

Quite nice. Funny thing is, that blue on your geep is more of a Pan Am blue than the blue Guilford/PAR uses now. The current blue is more of a MoPac blue.
 #859268  by B&M 1227

Tadman wrote:Quite nice. Funny thing is, that blue on your geep is more of a Pan Am blue than the blue Guilford/PAR uses now. The current blue is more of a MoPac blue.
The current Pan Am Blue is meant to resemble a paint scheme used on Pan Am planes in the 1940s and 1950s. The scheme was a dark blue winged globe with the slant lettering on silver bodies, and for locomotives inverted the scheme to have the white lettering and winged globe on a dark blue body.
 #859392  by bmcdr

B&M 1227 wrote:
Tadman wrote:Quite nice. Funny thing is, that blue on your geep is more of a Pan Am blue than the blue Guilford/PAR uses now. The current blue is more of a MoPac blue.
The current Pan Am Blue is meant to resemble a paint scheme used on Pan Am planes in the 1940s and 1950s. The scheme was a dark blue winged globe with the slant lettering on silver bodies, and for locomotives inverted the scheme to have the white lettering and winged globe on a dark blue body.
I'm confused, what does this have to do with pre-Guilford Boston & Maine paint schemes on GP-38's and GP-40's.
 #860622  by CFD125

The cell phone picture doesn't do justice to the paint color.

That B&M blue started fading as soon as those new units hit daylight, so there are a lot of shades of blue that might be correct, depending on how old of a unit you want to represent.

I mixed a blue that was supposed to represent a fairly new unit, and in the correct light, it very much resembles the picture of the 203 in the above posts.