• B&M GP38-2s with GP40-2 paint jobs

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by CFD125

Does anybody have any photos of the B&M GP38's with the GP40 paint job?

As far as I can tell, they only were in that scheme in 1981.

I have seen only one photo of the 206 with large cab side number, white sill stripe, and Boston and Maine spelled out on the long hood.

I have seen them in this paint job, but with the sill painted black.

I'm not sure how many units were painted this way, but I modeled the 202, 206, & 210 in HO using Atlas GP38's. They look great lashed up with my Atlas GP40's that I painted at the same time.

On a side note, Dear Mr. Moderator.
How many posts do I need before each one does not have to be approved? In the new users section, it indicates that it should have only been the first post. I have tried to contact a moderator, but it won't let me do that either. That is why I am asking here.
Thanks, Bob V.
  by MEC407

CFD125 wrote:On a side note, Dear Mr. Moderator.
How many posts do I need before each one does not have to be approved? In the new users section, it indicates that it should have only been the first post. I have tried to contact a moderator, but it won't let me do that either. That is why I am asking here.
Thanks, Bob V.
I was also under the impression that only the first post had to be approved and that all subsequent posts would go through automatically. If this continues to be a problem, please send an e-mail to Otto, the site admin. You can do so by clicking here.
  by bmcdr

The good news Bob, is that in model railroading anything is possible, if it appeals to you, then just do it, I don't think there's anybody out there that thought the black sidesill looked better than the white anyway. The bad news is, 210 ended her days at the B&M still in the delivery scheme.

I do have photos of 203 with a white sidesill taken in June 1981 and a shot of 206 taken December 1980.
  by bmcdr

Here's that shot of 203 coupled with 314 at Lawrence,Mass. June 1981.
1 203 1.jpg
  by MEC407

How can such a simple paint scheme look so good? Man, I miss seeing those units. I was much too young to appreciate them when they were still out and about. :(
  by CFD125

Thank you.

That's a great shot of 203 in the livery that I was trying to describe.

If I was unclear, my point was that I had only seen that livery on a GP38-2, with the white sill, once... in a book.

Here is a bad photo of one of my Atlas GP38's that I painted. I made the sight glass hole in the long hood.

I recently moved, and my digital camera got mad and ran away from home, so all I have now is my cell phone, untill I buy another camera. (You always lose something when you move)

by MEC407

Very nice!
  by Tadman

Quite nice. Funny thing is, that blue on your geep is more of a Pan Am blue than the blue Guilford/PAR uses now. The current blue is more of a MoPac blue.
  by B&M 1227

Tadman wrote:Quite nice. Funny thing is, that blue on your geep is more of a Pan Am blue than the blue Guilford/PAR uses now. The current blue is more of a MoPac blue.
The current Pan Am Blue is meant to resemble a paint scheme used on Pan Am planes in the 1940s and 1950s. The scheme was a dark blue winged globe with the slant lettering on silver bodies, and for locomotives inverted the scheme to have the white lettering and winged globe on a dark blue body.
  by bmcdr

B&M 1227 wrote:
Tadman wrote:Quite nice. Funny thing is, that blue on your geep is more of a Pan Am blue than the blue Guilford/PAR uses now. The current blue is more of a MoPac blue.
The current Pan Am Blue is meant to resemble a paint scheme used on Pan Am planes in the 1940s and 1950s. The scheme was a dark blue winged globe with the slant lettering on silver bodies, and for locomotives inverted the scheme to have the white lettering and winged globe on a dark blue body.
I'm confused, what does this have to do with pre-Guilford Boston & Maine paint schemes on GP-38's and GP-40's.
  by CFD125

The cell phone picture doesn't do justice to the paint color.

That B&M blue started fading as soon as those new units hit daylight, so there are a lot of shades of blue that might be correct, depending on how old of a unit you want to represent.

I mixed a blue that was supposed to represent a fairly new unit, and in the correct light, it very much resembles the picture of the 203 in the above posts.