Railroad Forums 

• B&A signals

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#306184  by boatsmate

Over the past several months I have seen on a few different occasions a yellow over yellow signal. I normally on see a yellow over red or red over red. the signal in question is the one just outside back bay tunnel on the CSX B&A Befroe Fenway. Then on thursday when I was headed home form work I saw another yellow over yellow, this time on a differnt signal. this one the signal right after CP4 facing the west on the track on the left (I was headed west on the Pike) and I am sure they where yellow not red.
 #306210  by amtrakhogger

Yellow over red over red is "Approach" which in a nutshell is proceed
approach the next signal prepared to stop reduce to 30mph after passing the "Approach" signal.

The other signal you described is "Approach Slow" (yellow/yellow/red) (or just yellow/yellow) which is approach the next signal at slow speed (15mph) and reduce to
30mph after passing the "Approach Slow" signal."

#306252  by CSX Conductor

I've never seen the automatic @ MP 2.1 as an Approach Slow, only an Approach (If Cove is a Restricting or a Stop) or an Approach Medium if Cove is a Medium Approach (Red over flashing yellow).

For more signals you can click here. :wink:

#306261  by boatsmate

CSX conductor, I figured you would probably know if anyone would.... I have seen this several times and the other night for the first time west of beacon park.

Thanks for the info. I asked this question some where else before and was told there was no such thing and that I was seeing things.

Thanks Again.

Bill

#306673  by CSX Conductor

I'm not saying you didn't see it, I've just never seen it. The automatic west of CP-4 would either be a Clear, Approach, or Restricted Proceed since there is not an interlocking west of it which requires moves to be made at Slow Speed. It is possible that the sun and the angle made a res appear to be a yellow though.

#306703  by CSX Engineer 98

Ive seen it many times comming to and from Beacon most of the time there is some kind of work going on in the area