• B&A signals

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by boatsmate

Over the past several months I have seen on a few different occasions a yellow over yellow signal. I normally on see a yellow over red or red over red. the signal in question is the one just outside back bay tunnel on the CSX B&A Befroe Fenway. Then on thursday when I was headed home form work I saw another yellow over yellow, this time on a differnt signal. this one the signal right after CP4 facing the west on the track on the left (I was headed west on the Pike) and I am sure they where yellow not red.
  by amtrakhogger

Yellow over red over red is "Approach" which in a nutshell is proceed
approach the next signal prepared to stop reduce to 30mph after passing the "Approach" signal.

The other signal you described is "Approach Slow" (yellow/yellow/red) (or just yellow/yellow) which is approach the next signal at slow speed (15mph) and reduce to
30mph after passing the "Approach Slow" signal."

by CSX Conductor

I've never seen the automatic @ MP 2.1 as an Approach Slow, only an Approach (If Cove is a Restricting or a Stop) or an Approach Medium if Cove is a Medium Approach (Red over flashing yellow).

For more signals you can click here. :wink:

by boatsmate

CSX conductor, I figured you would probably know if anyone would.... I have seen this several times and the other night for the first time west of beacon park.

Thanks for the info. I asked this question some where else before and was told there was no such thing and that I was seeing things.

Thanks Again.

Bill

by CSX Conductor

I'm not saying you didn't see it, I've just never seen it. The automatic west of CP-4 would either be a Clear, Approach, or Restricted Proceed since there is not an interlocking west of it which requires moves to be made at Slow Speed. It is possible that the sun and the angle made a res appear to be a yellow though.

by CSX Engineer 98

Ive seen it many times comming to and from Beacon most of the time there is some kind of work going on in the area