• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

• 1163 posts
  by PHLSpecial

electricron wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:54 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:11 am ...and Moynihan is a disaster already now that traffic is picking back up:
In this case, I think the pictures tell more than the story, and they quote from Twitter:
Another example of it has to look pretty at all costs, dang the passengers actually waiting for a train.
A seat less waiting area is a terrible waiting area no matter how beautiful it looks.
It looks like a typical Cuomo project. Pretty but no seats. They can build nice seats for the station. I hope they do. It would have the similar layout to 30th street station.
  by J.D. Lang

They have a seating area for ticketed passengers that is quite nice although it could be a little larger. When I was there in June the station was pretty busy but there where seats available in that area. Also if you look at those pictures most people sitting on the floor are next to the boarding gates. Many people do this just before there is a boarding call for their train. Being near the front of the line helps going down the escalators and getting on the train quicker so you can find a decent seat. Anyone boarding at Penn knows how narrow the boarding platforms are and how congested it is trying to board.
  by Gilbert B Norman

PHLSpecial wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:29 am It looks like a typical Cuomo project. Pretty but no seats. They can build nice seats for the station. I hope they do. It would have the similar layout to 30th street station.
Mr. PHL, go overseas then tell the Forum how many seats you found at any major Estación, Gare, Hauptbahnhof, or Stazione.
  by NaugyRR

I wouldn't say any narrower, probably about the same
  by hrsn

People stopped respecting the difference between a concourse and a separate, designed-to-purpose waiting area once airports incorporated waiting areas at the gate. Architects and interior designers no longer think about these spaces for the general, ticketed passenger like they used to. Except for $$$$ first-class lounges, of course. :-)
  by shadyjay

Go to GCT and you'll see the same thing... not many places to sit (at least upstairs).... and there's a good reason for that. Ever seen pictures of the old waiting room at GCT during the 70s? early 80s before restoration? Lots of homeless who camped out at the station. Penn was the same way, even worse since its open 24/7. Yes, there is the ticketed waiting area, which I have used each time I've waited for my train at Moynihan (I was there last Saturday, quite empty, but it was 7:30 in the morning).

Now that's not to say they won't throw up some benches in there.... in an out of the way space as to not block travelways. Perhaps along the escalator openings. But again, such could attract "unwanteds". The opening of the food hall in the fall will most likely have seating for its customers.

Railroad history has shown a "concourse" doesn't really have seating... that's meant for the main waiting room (and Moynihan Train Hall is just really an updated "concourse". Its hard to imagine Washington Union Station's 4-story mall/ticketing area/food court was once one big open hall with nary a bench to be found.
  by hrsn

I remember the 1970s GCT pretty well. The rest rooms in particular were reputed to be very scary. I couldn't understand, as a young kid, what had happened to the railroads that had reduced such amazing public spaces and transport utilities to such parlous conditions. The last years of PC's commuter service were particularly bad. When MN was formed, it actually got worse (on the Harlem Line) until electrification and high-level platforms showed obvious signs of welcome investment.