Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Joe, Hometowns, and what Amtrak’s Past Can Teach Us About its Future

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1568063  by eolesen

Airline taxes go into the Aviation and Airways Ttust Fund, which is what funds ATC as well as airport infrastructure projects like runways and taxiway.

Private rail like Brightline or TXHSR should have a similar tax to help fund FRA projects. I believe freight is already taxed but can't confirm that right now.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1568124  by west point

Arborway fan: yes there is some additional passengers when an additional service is started. Prime example is when Lynchburg trains started. Crescent did not loose passengers in fact Crescent's load increase with longer average travel lengths.
NC trains did not loose when each round trip was added but stayed about same X number. The new train RTs had y amount of passengers. Many were not new but some just used the Y train instead of x train with new passengers taking both and it will be 4 RT trains including Carolinian. How the loads will be is anyone's uess.
 #1568493  by electricron

eolesen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm Airline taxes go into the Aviation and Airways Ttust Fund, which is what funds ATC as well as airport infrastructure projects like runways and taxiway.

Private rail like Brightline or TXHSR should have a similar tax to help fund FRA projects. I believe freight is already taxed but can't confirm that right now.
The only taxes freight railroads ultimately pay are on their employees social security, property, and profits like any other small business or large corporation in the USA. They buy their fuel wholesale, and thus avoid fuel taxes. Anything bought retail to run their business they can deduct off their earnings on income taxes. That is why in the past there has been few federal funding for railroad projects, ie the lack of targeted taxes to fund it.