• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Rhinecliff

In today's Times Union, Amtrak is quoted as saying the reason for making every train in the Empire Corridor all reserved is to provide Amtrak with an opportunity to reduce the size of its consists when demand is low.

Here's a quote:
The move to require reservations on all trains across New York state was intended to allow the passenger railroad to better match train capacities with passenger demand, Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black said. The requirement took effect Tuesday.

"We were looking to reduce some consists (the number of coaches on a train) to save in costs and wear and tear" on the equipment, said James Turngren, who manages Amtrak's Empire Corridor service across New York.

But Turngren wants to make sure there are enough seats when demand is stronger. In those cases, coaches can be added to provide the extra capacity.
I wonder whether Amtrak factored into its decision the cost of implementing this reservation system and the inconvenience to its passengers.

Here's thewhole article:

by Sam Damon

In theory, having reservations should allow Amtrak to add cars as well as subtract them according to demand.

Somehow, I don't think the people responsible for this used enough intellectual rigor in their analysis. It's part of the lack of brainpower we're seeing in the railroad industry; but that's another thread.

by badneighbor

In the infinite wisdom of NY governor Pataki and the GOP budgetary gurus, they will likely create a new NY State InterCity Train Agency, complete with a whole new, supersized administative staff full of six figure salaries, occupied by politically appointed boot licker, GOP cronies. Then, they will purchase a few dozen overpriced DE-30 EMDs, complete with a batch of C-4 (LIRR style with costlier amenities, and high end food service) built in new york state (like the LIRR deal). They will then staff them with a new workforce, including a food concession owned by some relative of Pataki... or something... you get the picture.... sounds like a NY $$$ waster? Then it is probably already in the works!!!!

by Rhinecliff

In my opinion, New York State very much needs to create its own NY State Intercity Train Agency. Indeed, some -- but not all -- of the attributes described by Mr. badneighbor actually sound pretty good to me.

by badneighbor

glad you liked some of it... the gov.t in this state, unfortunately, would do what i implied, and it would be a bloated money pit. in concept, i like it too, but cronie-ism is this state's motto

by Rhinecliff

In connection with Amtrak's overall fare increase, Amtrak reportedly will now be selling its Empire Corridor tickets at four price points

It also looks like over the next six months, Amtrak is going to succeed in socking its monthly riders with an approximate 50% fare increase. All of this, of course, coming on the heels of loosing our food service, loosing our newly purchased remanufactured Turbos, loosing our Schenectady services, loosing our free parking, loosing our Hudson Valley service on the LSL, and loosing our through coach and sleeper service to Boston on the LSL.

Meanwhile, Amtrak is now requiring all of its Empire Corridor passengers to go to the trouble of obtaining reservations for all Empire Corridor service trains, just so that Amtrak will have the ability to drop cars from its consists when demand might allow. Is Amtrak really motivated by a desire to improve equipment utilization? Or is yield-management the real motivator.

All I can say is good luck exchanging your tickets in NYP if your meeting runs long and your rushing to catch the next train! Also, be sure to leave a few extra minutes to swing by Zaros.

As for me, I think Beacon is going to quickly become my new portal into and out of NYC.

by Sam Damon

Just when I thought Pennsylvania's state government was approaching the threshold for worst state government in the Union... New York's raises the bar.

Shucks.

by Rhinecliff

The destruction of Amtrak's Albany/Rennselaer-based services continues.

Last Friday, NARP reported in its Hotline that Amtrak is eliminating 17 jobs at the Rennselaer maintenance facility. Apparently, the preventative maintenance work is now going to be done in Washington, DC. I wonder whether the Empire Corridor will enjoy the same access to these services now that they are being provided out of Washington. Meanwhile, we lose our local talent and resources.

I have heard, anecdotally, that one of Amtrak's high-level local managers in the Empire district comes from Guilford. This, of course, would explain a lot of Amtrak's recent decisions, like cutting local maintenance operations, eliminating food and beverage service on so many trains, and instituting a burdensome and impractical reservation policy for the publically reported purpose of being able to operate trains with smaller consists. All this sounds like classic Guilford-type service downgrades.

I can only imagine what it must be like to be a ticket agent these days. A simple inquiry about "what's the fare to New York" now requires a lengthy explanation about the fare being dependant on when one travels and what's available at the time one books one's reservation. All of this having to be explained to a traveling public that operates at the 8th grade level of education.

by hsr_fan

It really is a travesty. I wish New York had some decent leadership, and that instead of talking about wasting money on another high speed rail study, they would start to fix the service that they already have! Turn it over to a state agency like Metro North if you have to, but jeez, do something to right the ship!

Is there anybody speaking up for the customers who are taking it in the shorts? There is the Empire State Passengers Association, but I haven't seen much outrage or really any reaction at all from them regarding the Turboliner fiasco, the elimination of food service, or any of the other recent negative developments. And what's the deal with the Turboliners? Are they hoping that if they keep them hidden long enough, like England did with its "APT", people will just forget that they ever existed and forget that New York spent $70 million of the taxpayers' money on trains that are wasting away in storage? I certainly won't forget as long as I'm alive, and it will forever leave me with a bad taste regarding the Empire Corridor and New York's "leadership", as well as that of David Gunn.

by Ken W2KB

Interesting how long these issues have been considered. Back in my high school days in the mid-1960's, I distinctly remember my history teacher citing the removal of a New York Central mainline track in the Poughkeepsie area as an example of the decline of the US railroad system.

by John_Perkowski

A MODEST PROPOSAL (with apologies to Jonathon Swift)...

Amtak ceases all intra-state operations Nationwide, unless the State picks up 100% of the costs (above and below the rail as appropriate).

Advantage: Lower Federal subsidy for NRPC.

Advantage: All the folks complaining about service can do something about it.

Advantage: Us folk here in Flyover Country no longer have to subsidize the Blue States.

John Perkowski

by Rhinecliff

I absolutely support Mr. Perkowski's proposal. New York's passenger rail service is far too important to be left in the hands of beltway Brownies or management types schooled in the Guilford philosophy of railroading.

I think the time has definately come for the Metro-North to assume responsibility for operating all Empire Corridor trains.

Phase I.

Metro-North should take over all trains that originate or terminate in Albany. The Metro-North (with State assistance) should purchase a special fleet for the Empire Corridor and also take over all station operations in ALB, HUD, and RHI (including Rennselaer maintenancy facility.) All of these trains should be redirected to Grand Central Station, where the Metro-North already runs a class operation.

Phase II.

The Metro-North should assume responsibility for working with CSX to updgrade the line between NFL and ALB for an eventual Metro-North take over of all intra-state rail service. If by then Amtrak is still around and interested in operating the LSL, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, and Ethan Allen, Amtrak can either contract with the Metro-North for support services or figure out some other way of operating those trains.

by John_Perkowski

Of course, here is the fun part of my proposal:

All these States get to deal with the freight railroads, with all their attitudes.

That'll be FUN.

John Perkowski

by Nasadowsk

Will be fun for states that haven't done it before. For NY? Well, they pretty much own any real, usable in state trackage to NYC...

I don't think NY state, at least, really would worry, they're pretty good at it as it is - either kick the RR into submission (ever notice how well behaved CSX is on the EC south of Albany?) or just buy the track and run it themselves (always a fun option for the freight RRs - a one time payment in exchange for the fun of being a distant #2 to passenger ops).

Of course, states that can't figure out the neat legal tricks get screwed by the Class Is (witness the now all but deadNC commuter railproposal). Those who can, get results...

by Rhinecliff

Mr. Nasadowski is absolutely right about New York's ability to work with the CSX. Don't forget, the Metro-North already owns the rail between NYG and POU (approximately 74 miles). New York State has already played a large role in maintaining the CSX rail between POU aned ALB (approximately 70 miles). The CSX runs very few trains on this double track railroad. The overwhelming majority of CSX freight goes down the west side of the Hudson river. There are really no issues of freight congestion between Albany and NYP. To the extent there is congestion at all, it is between Amtrak and the Metro-North, and a Metro-North takeover would presumably go a long way towards solving that problem.

West of Schenectady, on the other hand, is another story.