Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1466647  by Sisko24

So I presume the Amtrak train saw this morning waiting to cross the Harlem River Bridge heading into Grand Central was a training run for Amtrak engineers to learn Metro-North territory? Or was it Metro-North personnel familiarizing themselves with Amtrak equipment?

The consist was a group of Amfleet coaches with P32AC-DM(?) locomotives on either end. This wasn't the first time I'd seen that there; it was there last week as well.
 #1466676  by DutchRailnut

the answer is in other tread on this subject at top of post.
 #1466681  by Railjunkie

johndmuller wrote:Are they going to change the 3rd rail pickups to Metro North style or are they going to resume the New Rochelle do-ci-do thing?
Most if not all Amtrak dual modes will be changed over for MNRR third rail, the 716 is already set up.
 #1466733  by hs3730

Last year they had a maximum of 3 P32AC-DMs with MNRR shoes. This year it would need to be all of them. A little lazy math here: last year on weekends there were no MNRR runs. Also, one unit was out for repainting. So, they were able to run the full weekend schedule with 14 units.

So they can flip 4 in advance and run the last day with 14 NYP shoes.
Then they have a handful of hours to flip at least 8 more to have 12 MNRR configured ones in time for the first day (LSL won't be using its 2).

The only way I see them pulling this off is having the last NYP day a Friday, borrow some MNRR units for the weekend while switching their own out, and giving the MNRR ones back in time for Monday morning.
Alternatively, changeover weekend would have a lot more engine changes at ALB than normal.
 #1466832  by Backshophoss

They are changing the entire shoe mount,from a movable shoe that lifts up,to MNR's fixed mount for underrunning 3rd rail.
The overrunning shoes used in NY Penn are lifted up to clear the MNR 3rd rail
 #1466834  by DutchRailnut

correct, they do not flip any shoes, the LIRR style air operated mechanism gets removed and linkage based MN system is installed .
 #1466933  by Railhead

I thought, last year they changed the third rail shoes to the under running type on the Amtrak P32 ACDM and locked them in the down position by inserting a metal spacer to prevent them
from being retracted. Why are they going to completely change the shoe arrangement this year, instead of modifying it like last year
 #1466934  by DutchRailnut

you thought wrong, last year Amtrak borrowed MN gear from two MN units that were out long term plus a spare set from MN storeroom.
this time they purchased new gear .
 #1466937  by Railhead

Thanks for the update
I guess the article in RailPace Magazine last year, was wrong
goes to show, you can't believe everything you read
 #1468988  by BAR

Will dedicated bus transfer service be provided between GCT and NYP for passengers making connections? Any information appreciated.
 #1469003  by STrRedWolf

BAR wrote:Will dedicated bus transfer service be provided between GCT and NYP for passengers making connections? Any information appreciated.
Driving in NYC?!? ARE YOU NUTS?!? (debate putting a smiley face here amongst yourselves)

I can see some service, but I'd take MTA NYC's S or 7 to Times Square and transfer to a 1/2/3 down one stop to get there faster.
 #1469007  by Rockingham Racer

New York City's subway system used to be notoriously bad for ADA. I'll admit I don't know the current state of affairs, but elevators seemed to be in short supply, and escalators were often enough not working. I'd take a taxi, given my age and physical condition.
 #1469022  by MACTRAXX

BAR wrote:Will dedicated bus transfer service be provided between GCT and NYP for passengers making connections? Any information appreciated.
BAR and Everyone: Amtrak did contract with a local bus operator to operate a connecting bus
between NYP and NYG (the Amtrak three letter code for GCT) back during the 1980s that would
end when the Empire Connection to NYP opened in the spring of 1991. The bus operator was a
long defunct company: Metro Apple Express - which once had some outer borough express bus
contracts and used one of their Flxible express-type buses to cover this service.

It may be a good idea to bring back this connecting service option this summer for Empire Service
passengers that are traveling to NEC points. The NYC Subway is a good alternate that runs at all
times - but the necessary transfer between the TSQ-GCT Shuttle (or #7) at Times Square to the
#1,2 or 3 trains one stop south can be a hassle - especially when carrying luggage or at rush hour.
A taxi would be worth the extra money with baggage provided that it is off hours and will not get
stuck in Manhattan traffic going between stations. I have used all three of these options between
NYP and NYG in the past connecting to Empire trains and remember what each can offer.

MACTRAXX
 #1469023  by Backshophoss

Check the current map ,believe a good part of the subway is accessable ,all new stations and rebuilt stations have elevators now.
but there are exceptions.