• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

  • Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

  • 2888 posts
  • 1
  • 170
  • 171
  • 172
  • 173
  • 174
  • 193
  by njtmnrrbuff
 
At Croton Harmon and Yonkers, there is easy connection to Metro North trains and you shouldn't be waiting very long for one, even on weekends.
  by STrRedWolf
 
Rockingham Racer wrote:New York City's subway system used to be notoriously bad for ADA. I'll admit I don't know the current state of affairs, but elevators seemed to be in short supply, and escalators were often enough not working. I'd take a taxi, given my age and physical condition.
The subway system predates the ADA by a century, and NYC MTA's been retrofitting where possible.

The route I mentioned (GCT, S to Times Square, 1/2/3 to Penn Station) has elevators and is accessible. Inside is confusing as *)!*(#$ though.
  by NaugyRR
 
I could see the transfer at Times Square being a little overwhelming for people who aren't used to the subway. People could always take the 7 to Hudson Yards, but personally I'm not overly fond of that really, really long escalator, haha.
  by Rockingham Racer
 
STrRedWolf wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:New York City's subway system used to be notoriously bad for ADA. I'll admit I don't know the current state of affairs, but elevators seemed to be in short supply, and escalators were often enough not working. I'd take a taxi, given my age and physical condition.
The subway system predates the ADA by a century, and NYC MTA's been retrofitting where possible.

The route I mentioned (GCT, S to Times Square, 1/2/3 to Penn Station) has elevators and is accessible. Inside is confusing as *)!*(#$ though.
I used to live in NYC, and so moving around on the subway would not be daunting. What IS daunting these days is climbing stairs. I agree that the the MTA has made great strides with the ADA, especially in Manhattan. It seems the outlying boroughs present a challenge, especially where the lines are els.

Sorry for being off topic!!
  by Backshophoss
 
With Amtrak running into GCT again this summer,no need to transfer to MN local service,unless that's the way home.
Not sure if there's an underground passage to Penn from #7 Hudson yards station, yet or in use.
  by STrRedWolf
 
Backshophoss wrote:With Amtrak running into GCT again this summer,no need to transfer to MN local service,unless that's the way home.
Not sure if there's an underground passage to Penn from #7 Hudson yards station, yet or in use.
None in the plans when built, none shown by MTA NYC.
  by njtmnrrbuff
 
That's right, Backshophoss, there is no need for GCT bound Amtrak passengers to transfer to Metro North. There is no underground passageway from Penn Station to the 7 Hudson Yards Station.

As for the FL9 plans getting axed, while it is not good for us railfans, from a business perspective, it makes sense. Since retirement, they aren't suited for pulling Amtrak trains, even if they are dummy units. The MARC Sumitomo Cars should be able to do the job well and I believe that when they are running on home turf, they do anywhere between 110 and 125 on express trains.

As a railfan, I am very excited to be able to see Amtrak running temporarily into and out of Grand Central and I will be making at least one railfanning trip along the Harlem River when the detours happen.
  by STrRedWolf
 
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The MARC Sumitomo Cars should be able to do the job well and I believe that when they are running on home turf, they do anywhere between 110 and 125 on express trains.
That's correct. They (the MARC IIA/B's) have been lent out for service along the NEC for some time now. They're good for 125 MPH. If there's any left (I think LIRR, NJT, and SEPTA are renting 'em now), they'll be good for 4 hour trips.
  by Railjunkie
 
STrRedWolf wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The MARC Sumitomo Cars should be able to do the job well and I believe that when they are running on home turf, they do anywhere between 110 and 125 on express trains.
That's correct. They (the MARC IIA/B's) have been lent out for service along the NEC for some time now. They're good for 125 MPH. If there's any left (I think LIRR, NJT, and SEPTA are renting 'em now), they'll be good for 4 hour trips.

That a negative according to the book they are good for 110mph. I brought three north Sat night on 259.
  by BAR
 
Thanks for all of the replies to my inquiry about possible dedicated bus service between NYP and GCT (and reverse) this summer. As MACTRAXX observes Amtrak did provide this service back in the 1990's prior to consolidation of operations at NYP and I took it many times when connecting from #94 to #49 (and reverse). I also made the connection via subway and cab and I can assure you that the dedicated bus was by far the easiest way to make the transfer.

STrRedWolf thanks for your inquiry about my mental state. I am very pleased to report that I am not nuts (yet). As to driving in Manhattan my daughter (age 48) lives far out in western New Jersey and she does it frequently and does not find it overly stressful.

BAR
  by STrRedWolf
 
BAR wrote:STrRedWolf thanks for your inquiry about my mental state. I am very pleased to report that I am not nuts (yet). As to driving in Manhattan my daughter (age 48) lives far out in western New Jersey and she does it frequently and does not find it overly stressful.
I'm glad you took it well. I wasn't sure about making driving in NYC a joke given I walked around it twice now and... needless to say, I wouldn't drive in the city if I could help it.
  by hs3730
 
Does anyone have a list of P32AC-DMs that have received / will receive the MNRR-style nose hatch retrofit? I've currently seen 704 (Phase III) and 712 (Phase V) completed...

Thanks!
  by DutchRailnut
 
701- 704- 705 - 712 and two more in Rensselaer shop.
  by amtrakhogger
 
That explains why 63 has had a P42 assigned as of late NYP-TOR.
  by BAR
 
Checked with Amtrak today to plan a July trip and the agent read me the notification that "passengers are to arrange their own transportation between NYP and GCT."
  • 1
  • 170
  • 171
  • 172
  • 173
  • 174
  • 193