Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1632023  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:06 pm While Amtrak serves excrement for breakfast, this is what’s happening in Great Britain…
IMG_3848.jpeg
Egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, black pudding (blood sausage). Standard Brit fare.
 #1632036  by ExCon90

John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:06 pm While Amtrak serves excrement for breakfast, this is what’s happening in Great Britain…
IMG_3848.jpeg
It's been called "a heart attack on a plate," but it's delicious. Back in the era on BR when InterCity expresses were a separate business unit I enjoyed one such in a restaurant car filled with business travelers in virtually identical dark-blue pinstriped suits, busily tucking in to the Great British Breakfast, so advertised as an advantage of the service. I read at the time that the Financial Times was using the number of GBBs served by InterCity as a leading indicator of economic activity because of its accuracy in measuring business travel. Not gonna happen here.
 #1634397  by STrRedWolf

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I did partake in the overnight trains to a convention this past weekend. Taking the Lake Shore Limted on the 29th (see that thread for the "accident" on the 30th), and then a quiet Capitol Limited train ride back this week on the 4th. This of course was the Flex Dining meals provided by the Jamaica, NY outfit.

Beef Burgundy: Not bad, with the exception of the rubbery texture of the meat typical of microwaving. The salad given was... I don't know what garden it came from but it wasn't a chef salad.

Asian BBQ Glazed Salmon: The better of the bunch, although you could of replaced the BBQ glaze with Old Bay and it still would be the better option. Still, had a much better salad. Good chef salad.

Buttermilk Pancakes w/Sausage: Yyyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhh. I had this twice (the first time subject to the "accident" mentioned above, so retried on the way back). The sausage was so mild that it was tasteless. The pancakes themselves were... not. It may of been buttermilk pancake batter (and that's up to debate) but it felt like these were cooked via injection molding. I can do much better off the breakfast freezer section of WalMart, with pre-made store-brand pancakes and sausage. The "butter" was a whipped spread and the pancake syrup was ISO standard (not maple syrup). My Canadian half wants to stop saying "sorry" over that.

That said, I wish they'd give paring recommendations for the beers and wine...