Railroad Forums 

• Amherst Show - 2015

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1311779  by TLaware

I'm not here to debate with Narrowgauger about the whole Bob's Photo incident and that his beliefs. Narrowgauger, your more than welcome to come to the show and the show director and I will be happy to meet with you.
 #1311780  by Tower35

I hadn’t planned to say anything but I take exception to the idea that someone like Al Mayo could come along and find a target like Bob’s Photos and instigate a scene such as he did. As a long time exhibitor like Bob I would probably get totally enraged that someone like this guy would come along inciting what amounts to be a small scale confrontation while Bob is simply trying to do business.

There should NOT be any politics in a show like this but apparently politics have crept in over many years besides the Al Mayo / Bob’s Photos incident. If I were Bob, Al would have met both of my fists to make it worth being thrown out and not because the powers that be wanted to remain politically correct and cover themselves to take a stand about what REALLY happened – a guy taking exception to the display of a flag and free speech subject to interpretation.

I know the ARS makes about a hundred grand to give away to railroad organizations and that’s fine but at the expense of others.

Years ago when I lived in the area we all had a lot of fun at this show. And while some are sugar coating how great it has become, I beg to differ. Yes, there are new and exciting features. But some of the best choose to no longer display their layouts or try in a business sense to compete. It’s just not worth their time or expense. Table prices have become astronomical as has the admission price and the BigE’s parking fees. Either you walk through bitter cold or a muddy parking lot. People with colds and the flu don’t know enough to stay home. Almost every other year I would contract something right after the show. The mediocre food at the concession stands is WAY overpriced and no one cleans any food tables or the rest rooms where others just leave behind their mess.

You dedicated souls can look the other way. I choose to avoid something that can take the fun out of my hobby. Since I moved away I won’t make the trip for all of that.
 #1311795  by TLaware

I hope that those of you that choose to come to West Springfield to the show have a great time seeing the great exhibits, work shops and layouts. I am very proud to be part of an organization that has done great things for the railroad hobby. Some people are never satisfied and will always badmouth things. That's their right but it should never take away from what the rest of us enjoy.
I will be in the Mallory Building as the head floor manager and I invite anyone here to stop and say hello.

Tom Laware
 #1311864  by MEC407

I think everyone has had a chance to say what they wanted to say. This topic is getting a little too gossipy, and two of the people being discussed are not here to defend themselves, so I think it's best that we put this to discussion to rest.