Railroad Forums 

• Amherst Show - 2015

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1308153  by Mikejf

WW&F Ry will be in two locations again this year. The normal location in the Young Building, and a little spot in Mallory, near the food court apparently.
 #1309405  by dcm74

All the Christmas packages are opened. Now's the time to start making a list of everything you need to find at the show. It's only a month away,
 #1309653  by Tower35

What happened to Bob's Photos?! I don't see him on the list! I asked in another forum and no one gave a good or reasonable answer. Bob's display was one of my first visits to get some great historical photos and slides. I heard he was was doing okay after his slip in the icy parking lot and back in business. Bob has a treasury of great historicl material and I can't find a website for him. What gives?! Did he get dis invited for some stupid reason?
 #1309663  by Narrowgauger

Oh well now, im sure you know why. Last year someone named Al Mayo took issure with the confederate flag on Bobs sign causing a scuffle with Al filming the entire event to post online during one of his race baiting trysts( he stood in front of Bobs table screaming at his sign) . Both parties were asked not to return. I saw and read the letters. Now because of the race problems going on around the country, the Amherst folks have reversed their position as far as Al Mayo goes yet have placed the blame solely on Bob. From the rumblings I've heard many many modelers are VERY upset at this and plan to make sure this issue is addressed fairly.
 #1309666  by DutchRailnut

the confederate flag has no place in society or railroading, only confederate flag is white flag of surrender.
 #1309669  by Mikejf

Good grief. Next thing you know someone will throw a hissy because something is imported from X country. Grow a set people. The show is only 2 days long. If you do not like something about someone, don't go there. If the flag displayed bothers you, don't go there. Simple. No one is forcing anything on anybody. This is a free country, or at least it was last time I checked.
 #1309696  by Otto Vondrak

Narrowgauger wrote:Oh well now, im sure you know why. Last year someone named Al Mayo took issure with the confederate flag on Bobs sign causing a scuffle with Al filming the entire event to post online during one of his race baiting trysts( he stood in front of Bobs table screaming at his sign) . Both parties were asked not to return. I saw and read the letters. Now because of the race problems going on around the country, the Amherst folks have reversed their position as far as Al Mayo goes yet have placed the blame solely on Bob. From the rumblings I've heard many many modelers are VERY upset at this and plan to make sure this issue is addressed fairly.
Is this really true? Vendors can be banned?
 #1309747  by BandA

[OT] The confederate flag has dual meanings. 1) A country/regional pride/independence 2) Slavery and racism. It can be interpreted as one or the other or both depending on the context.
 #1309753  by NHV 669

Otto Vondrak wrote:Is this really true? Vendors can be banned?
I would assume that if they are just "keeping a space" in someone else's building for a show, it's as simple as being told by the promoter/building owner/leaser
-its a shame that although the world is full of people who will never see eye to eye, that this poor guy is out because some clown had to act unprofessional in a professional setting.
However, it is probably the best move by those in charge, as there is now zero chance that such an issue could occur again this year between the parties involved.
 #1309757  by Narrowgauger

"Is this really true? Vendors can be banned?[/quote]
Yes it is. I have read the letter. He is uninvited and has been put on a list for future considerations. However it seems the other party has not. And for information only it is not against the law to display the confederate flag. It is however illegal to assault someone.
 #1309759  by Narrowgauger

BandA wrote:[OT] The confederate flag has dual meanings. 1) A country/regional pride/independence 2) Slavery and racism. It can be interpreted as one or the other or both depending on the context.
Im sure its not intended as racism since his daughter is marred to a black man.
 #1309804  by superwarp1

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Narrowgauger wrote:Oh well now, im sure you know why. Last year someone named Al Mayo took issure with the confederate flag on Bobs sign causing a scuffle with Al filming the entire event to post online during one of his race baiting trysts( he stood in front of Bobs table screaming at his sign) . Both parties were asked not to return. I saw and read the letters. Now because of the race problems going on around the country, the Amherst folks have reversed their position as far as Al Mayo goes yet have placed the blame solely on Bob. From the rumblings I've heard many many modelers are VERY upset at this and plan to make sure this issue is addressed fairly.
Is this really true? Vendors can be banned?
About ten years ago a group of friends and I rented a couple of tables. One year we set up on the wrong tables, a simple mis-understanding you would think but the powers to be didn't see it that way and banned the lot of us from ever getting tables at the show again
 #1309823  by Dick H

According to the Show web page, (Exhibiting) they have 500 exhibitors and 267 on the waiting list.
You must apply on the waiting list to get an invitation. Invitations are given each year, and there
is no guarantee that you will be invited back the next year. They also reserve the right to cancel
any contract and not renew or invite back any participant at any time

Full details on exhibiting here:
http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/exhibiting.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;