Railroad Forums 

• ALCO's Biting the Dust?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#391371  by ricebrianrice

Since they just spent about a year having a newly designed computer system installed in 3666, I don't think they would have sunk that kind of money and time into the 636's if they where not going to keep them around for a while.

My 2 cents..

#391379  by Steve F45

maybe some are ending there life on nysw. 2 are oos with cracked blocks from freeze damage.

The 3668 is working hard on the rails now, 3666 is beeing finished in utica. Someone posted pics in the yahoo group of the 3666 with a completely different intake assembly.

#408016  by Alcoman

Utica Alco status: 6/6/07

3666 started up and used as shop switcher all day. After cooler intake is blanked off with red sheet metal. Sounded good otherwise.

3664 was pulled from the shop and moved to another track.

hi

#415269  by thebigham

This is probably old news to you all, but 4 Alcos have been parked in Bighamton.
 #415445  by JoeCollege

thebigham wrote:This is probably old news to you all, but 4 Alcos have been parked in Bighamton.
Saw them today and one more working Barret Paving.

#417082  by Alcoman

Any updates regarding the Alcos in Binghamton?

#417090  by ricebrianrice

3668 was in the shop this morning and was hooked up with 3 other loco's this afternoon, so I would guess it is going on a run to NJ.

3672 sitting by itself.

Leaving 3664, 3666, & 3670 in the "dead line"
Last edited by ricebrianrice on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#417128  by GOLDEN-ARM

How about the "waiting line", instead of the dead-line? :-D

#417498  by ANDY117

Talking to one of the guys at NYSW, *supposedly* the units in the line have been purchased by the WNY&P. Not sure of the others. I'll have him clarify.

Hi

#419484  by thebigham

From the NYS&W Yahoo email group:

The L A & L Railroad Corp has looked at all eight six axle NYSW ALCO and MLW units in Binghamton and Utica and is taking a option to buy all of them pending completion of the WNY&P take over of the NS ex PRR Buffalo line through Olean.

The units will be moved to Cohocton on the Bath & Hammondsport RR along with two ex SP&S CEN 425s, one ex M&E and one from Florida, and two ex CP CEN 424s leased from the M&E.

Four of the ex Cartier M636s are operating at this time, one more was OOS in Binghamton. The other three units in Utica will need heavy shop work to get back in running condition. The NYSW shop has moved them into the shop to get them ready for shipping to Cohocton, NY.

A fifth 4 axle unit, RS36 418 from the Ontario Central is being shipped to Lakeville for use on the LA&L. The Ontario Central might become a Finger Lakes operation.

Al Gorney

#419511  by scottychaos

Looks like Susquehanna's Second Great Alco Era is about to end.. :(
sad for Susquehanna fans, but great news for the engines themselves! :P
they shall live on.

Keep an eye on the Alco runs..you never know when the last Susquehanna Alco run could take place!
could be any day now...

and..the odds are good that the "Last Alco Run" could be the last EVER Susquehanna Alco Run...(although everyone probably thought that when the C430's left! ;) but this time the odds are REALLY good...)

Scot

#419529  by RichM

This is one of those times I agree with all of you that these units, with the dedicated shop and personnel that LAL have, will have a better chance at long-term survival. And because of their uniqueness, they deserve that opportunity.

#419692  by deezlfan

Still it would have been nice to see a matched set of three in fresh yellowjacket paint..............

#419724  by ANDY117

I'll keep you guys updated with a possible movement day.

#419803  by RichM

The rumor du jour on the CSX forum is that CSX will be returning the SD 40-2's that are on lease by year's end. With an EMD rebuilder in the area again, seems like there may be some "new" power available.